how to stop mini tree from adding all of leaf node's folders

Features wanted...
DanielW

how to stop mini tree from adding all of leaf node's folders

Post by DanielW »

I want to use the mini tree, but it's doing something that keeps it from being useful. I only want folders to be added to the tree when I explicitly put them there. Double-clicking a folder in the file list to add it to the tree is fine. However, if I expand a leaf node in the tree, it automatically adds ALL of that folder's subfolders to the tree. That kind of defeats its purpose. The attractive thing about the mini tree concept is that it's supposed to be small, it's supposed to contain only the folders that I explicitly visit, and it's supposed to be easy to navigate quickly to my commonly used folders. When I try to navigate quickly, I tend to hit the bottom folder and then unintentionally add tons of other folders at once. Is there any way to make the mini-tree NOT add subfolders when I expand a leaf node?

sfwood

Re: how to stop mini tree from adding all of leaf node's fol

Post by sfwood »

DanielW wrote:...However, if I expand a leaf node in the tree, it automatically adds ALL of that folder's subfolders to the tree...
Have you discovered that once you add at least one sub-folder to a given folder in mini-tree you can then expand and collapse the parent folder all you want without adding extra subfolders? Also, partial solutions are to be found in tree item context menu's "Hide folder from mini tree" and "Hide siblings from mini tree".

I agree this is sub-optimal behavior in mini-tree. Just haven't figured out what ~should~ happen when you expand a thus far unexpanded mini-tree folder to make a request about it. I also think it would be helpful to have some indicator that there are add'l folders that are not shown within a given mini-tree folder. Perhaps expanding a previously unexpanded folder in mini-tree could just reveal that indicator.. Dunno.

totmad1

Post by totmad1 »

This doesn't "stop mini tree from adding" but you can use to remove folder from view.
see "help - List All Commands..."
totmad1 (totally mad one)

DanielW

Post by DanielW »

What I think should happen when you expand the bottom-most folder in the mini tree is that it should not have any subfolders.

There does not need to be an indicator in the mini-tree that a folder has subfolders that aren't shown. That's going to be true of almost all folders in the mini-tree just because of the way the mini-tree works. The point of the mini-tree is to hide clutter, not to show clutter. You can select the folder in the mini-tree and look at the list pane to see the subfolders that aren't in the tree.

sfwood

Post by sfwood »

DanielW wrote:What I think should happen when you expand the bottom-most folder in the mini tree is that it should not have any subfolders.
I ~think~ you are saying that dbl-clicking on (or clicking the node icon of) a folder that hasn't previously been expanded in mini tree should do nothing, rather than add all of its subfolders to mini tree (as happens now). I would strongly agree with this, provided as a tweak or option, of course--"Expanding previously unviewed folders in mini tree populates with all subfolders" (or some such).
DanielW wrote:There does not need to be an indicator in the mini-tree that a folder has subfolders that aren't shown. That's going to be true of almost all folders in the mini-tree . . The point of the mini-tree is to hide clutter, not to show clutter. . .
Well, yeah, but I think an indicator that ~doesn't~ add clutter would be useful, and to avoid interference with color filters, bolding of favorites, etc., that enhancing the function of the node indicator would be the way to go: for ex. shape indicates overall expanded-ness of node, and color indicates partial/full expanded-ness of node in mini tree, something like below (note shaded diamond icon on "C:" and std open diamond icon on the fully expanded folder).
invisible-branches.png
invisible-branches.png (52.7 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Last edited by sfwood on 06 Oct 2014 22:22, edited 4 times in total.

autocart

Post by autocart »

sfwood wrote:Well, yeah, but I think an indicator that ~doesn't~ add clutter would be useful, and to avoid interference with color filters, bolding of favorites, etc., that enhancing the function of the node indicator would be the way to go: for ex. shape indicates overall expanded-ness of node, and color indicates partial/full expanded-ness of node in mini tree, something like below (note shaded diamond icon on "C:" and std open diamond icon on the fully expanded folder).
+1