Unable to unzip the XYplorer updates

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
PeterH

Re: Unable to unzip the XYplorer updates

Post by PeterH »

So it must be the combination of XY-zips and your computers.

Strange - and no more ideas :cry:
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

PeterH wrote:So it must be the combination of XY-zips and your computers.

Strange - and no more ideas :cry:
Don't feel bad Peter. I am almost ready to give up also.

I will just go to a friend's home to download and unzip the updates. It's not like the updates come around that often.

In the meantime I will keep trying to solve the problem.

I have one more thing to report but the information is in my computer Lab which is in a separate building.
This post printed on 100% recycled bytes
Windows 10 on six computers

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

While I'm here I will mention what I thought was the solution to my problem. I was on another forum where a person was mentioning a problem unzipping files. It was suggested that the files might be corrupt and that he should try a zip repair program.

I found this program and installed it:

http://www.diskinternals.com/zip-repair/

I ran the program on the XYplorer update and it announced " success". I noticed that the file was a little smaller that the original one whatever that meant.

When I went to unzip it, I did not get the original error message so I thought all was well. I picked the folder for unzipping. It started and then it failed giving unspecified error: 0x80004005. I Googled that and that meant nothing to me.

That's it :(

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

error: 0x80004005

Are you sure that the user you are using to extract has the rights to write to the folder you extract to?

As I understand it this code says something like "not sufficient rights" - though it's a bit vague
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

PeterH wrote:error: 0x80004005

Are you sure that the user you are using to extract has the rights to write to the folder you extract to?

As I understand it this code says something like "not sufficient rights" - though it's a bit vague
Don't know. I looked it up and I'm not smart enough to comprehend the comments.

edit: I am now at my main computer. I disabled my antivirus program (NOD32) and downloaded the update. Could not unzip it.
Wish I could show a screen capture.
Last edited by jadinolf on 30 Jun 2014 22:17, edited 2 times in total.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Hmmm... how about trying this to see perhaps what's going on. Download the problematic zip file using Firefox again (I know you already did it but trying a new clean slate).
Perhaps downloading just http://xyplorer.com/download/xyplorer_f ... nstall.zip is good enough. Try to see if you can extract it using your normal methods. If it still don't work, we can then proceed.

Download WinRAR and install it.
http://rarlab.com/rar/wrar510.exe <- For 32bit
http://rarlab.com/rar/winrar-x64-510.exe <- For 64bit

Zip files should open up with WinRAR now. Double click and opened up that "problematic" zip file. There's a big button in WinRAR that say "Test". Click that and tell me what WinRAR say. Next download SnapMD5 from http://dan.hersam.com/software/snap-md5/
Direct link to SnapMD5: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5529/software/s ... 5_v104.zip
Hopefully you can unzip SnapMD5. If you can't tell me and I upload the main executable somewhere.
Copy this to your clipboard: 46b8c706952ad69e6e7fbacac79ecfab
Open up SnapMD5 and drag the "problematic" zip file to it. At the bottom in a big red or green banner, what does it say? Does it say MD5 sum matches or No match?

Rename xyplorer_full_noinstall.zip to xyplorer_full_noinstall_firefox.zip
Repeat the steps above but for Internet Explorer.

The reason for doing all this is I'm just verifying that the integrity of the file is completely intact. Therefore we can rule out any issue that it was Firefox or IE's fault since if the file is intact, the browsers have nothing to do with it.

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

As I was typing my reply, Firefox disappeared so let me try again.

I'm afraid I don't have the expertize to carry out all of your instructions but let's start at the first couple of items.

Text with WINRAR: xyplorer_fullnoinstall.zip:the archive is either in unknown format or damaged.

edit: I checked a zipped file of Free Commander and no problems were found.

Snap MD5 "No test was in clipboard".

File does not match either hash

Make any sense?

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Oh. I tried to make my instructions simple but it may still be a bit confusing since somethings are not as evident. I will try to make it clearer next time. Anyways, could you perhaps upload that problematic file somewhere so that I could download it and take a look? I'm starting to think I know what is going on. Also, did you repeat the step for Internet Explorer? Once you do, please rename that file to xyplorer_full_noinstall_ie.zip so that I know which browser you used to download them.

For the SnapMD5, I want you to try it again and with both files. First frame is the frame with my post in it.
For each file that you run the SnapMD5, could you also copy the text in the MD5 sum box and paste them here.
In most programs, you can easily highlight text and then right click and copy. Just exactly like what I did below
when I highlighted and copy the MD5 (long random-looking list of values).
GuideMD5.gif.gif
GuideMD5.gif.gif (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2301 times

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

Enternal wrote:Oh. I tried to make my instructions simple but it may still be a bit confusing since somethings are not as evident. I will try to make it clearer next time. Anyways, could you perhaps upload that problematic file somewhere so that I could download it and take a look? I'm starting to think I know what is going on. Also, did you repeat the step for Internet Explorer? Once you do, please rename that file to xyplorer_full_noinstall_ie.zip so that I know which browser you used to download them.

For the SnapMD5, I want you to try it again and with both files. First frame is the frame with my post in it.
For each file that you run the SnapMD5, could you also copy the text in the MD5 sum box and paste them here.
In most programs, you can easily highlight text and then right click and copy. Just exactly like what I did below
when I highlighted and copy the MD5 (long random-looking list of values).
GuideMD5.gif.gif
I have a real busy day here and need to do housework and yard work so my time is limited as much as I appreciate your help.

Also I have no place to upload a file. Have never done it. email?

Any ideas where/how I can do it?

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

No problem. Just take your time.

You can use http://www.zippyshare.com/ to send the file.
Click Browse, select the problematic zip file downloaded with Firefox.
Do the same thing for the other problematic zip file that was downloaded with IE.
Make sure Set as Private Upload is checked.
Click Start Upload.
After it finishes, select the links that it generated (should be 1 per line for a total of 2 links) and copy and paste them here.

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

Enternal wrote:No problem. Just take your time.

You can use http://www.zippyshare.com/ to send the file.
Click Browse, select the problematic zip file downloaded with Firefox.
Do the same thing for the other problematic zip file that was downloaded with IE.
Make sure Set as Private Upload is checked.
Click Start Upload.
After it finishes, select the links that it generated (should be 1 per line for a total of 2 links) and copy and paste them here.
Fine

I tried a file downloaded with MSIE. Same result in WinRAR as with Firefox.

Now I'll read your previous post for instructions and that will be all I can do today. If I am successful you will get the files. (I hope).

Many thanks

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

Well, I downloaded the files, renamed the for IE and FF. Signed up for the site and thought I was selecting them for upload but I see nothing to indicate that they are there.

Any ideas?

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

jadinolf wrote:Well, I downloaded the files, renamed the for IE and FF. Signed up for the site and thought I was selecting them for upload but I see nothing to indicate that they are there.

Any ideas?
Now that is just plain weird. Where did you save the files initially? They should be on the Desktop or the Downloads folder right? You clearly see the files where ever they're supposed to be right?

When you clicked Browse, navigate to where the files are supposed to be and make sure that it should be All Files in that little drop down selection thing on the right. Above the Open/Cancel button:
Browse.png
Browse.png (16.74 KiB) Viewed 2284 times

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

Enternal wrote:
jadinolf wrote:Well, I downloaded the files, renamed the for IE and FF. Signed up for the site and thought I was selecting them for upload but I see nothing to indicate that they are there.

Any ideas?
Now that is just plain weird. Where did you save the files initially? They should be on the Desktop or the Downloads folder right? You clearly see the files where ever they're supposed to be right?

When you clicked Browse, navigate to where the files are supposed to be and make sure that it should be All Files in that little drop down selection thing on the right. Above the Open/Cancel button:
Browse.png
I always save my downloads in a folder named "My Downloads" clever, eh?
Then in the site you gave me I selected one file, pushed that button but nothing happened (indicated nothing)
Same for the second file.

I've got to go.

Sorry

jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »