Odd Behavior, Part Deux

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
stephr1

Odd Behavior, Part Deux

Post by stephr1 »

I was here a while ago regarding a problem I encountered with V14.00 when doing a right-click on a file/folder (hitting cancel typically, but not always, got to the expected right-click menu)(http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... ph#p103942). I also found that the problem went away after I had done a binary re-install (1st time was a copy/paste over existing files).

Well, the problem came back again in V14.10 :( I can't remember if I did a copy/paste upgrade this time (prob'ly did). However, XYplorer seemed to work fine....until I changed the setting (unticked the box) so XYplorer was no longer my default file browser. Right-click --> Run problem came back. I then uninstalled and reinstalled XYplorer using the installer, and it works correctly again.

Last time you asked for a screen shot. I have included a .jpg one here (no pdfs allowed?!?). Hope it helps.

Cheers....Steph
Attachments
XYplorer with Run window on mouse right-click.jpg
XYplorer with Run window on mouse right-click.jpg (240.27 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Odd Behavior, Part Deux

Post by admin »

Strange.

What if you untick "Always ask before opening this file" in that dialog?

stephr1

Post by stephr1 »

The problem is gone since I re-installed. However, I did try that. Did not change anything.

I think I mentioned I also had this with V14.00 (but not with 13.90...which was my 1st install which meant using the installer). My sense (and I don't have much evidence to prove or disprove it) is it seems to be related to using the zip file to upgrade.
admin wrote:Strange.

What if you untick "Always ask before opening this file" in that dialog?

ale

Post by ale »

I think I can explain the behaviour...

I don't know if it happen on every machine but on mine it would be the same (Windows 7 64 bit plus WinRAR).

When we download for example a ZIP file from the internet, such as the XYplorer ZIP package, the file has an NTFS alternate data stream written on disk (called :Zone.Identifier:$DATA). It it the thing that triggers the security warning. Now if I clear the stream and then unzip the file, every unzipped file is "clean".

However if I decompress the ZIP file without deleting the stream before, each and every file in the archive has the alternate data stream of the original ZIP file, also ContextMenu64.exe which when run triggers the warning as in the picture.

stephr1

Post by stephr1 »

I appreciate the reply. Nice to know I wasn't messing things up (much ;)

So, going forward, how would I "clear the stream" or actually change it (can I, and to what) so I don't run into this problem in the future. I found a program from MS called stream.exe. Would that work, or do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks.....
ale wrote:I think I can explain the behaviour...

I don't know if it happen on every machine but on mine it would be the same (Windows 7 64 bit plus WinRAR).

When we download for example a ZIP file from the internet, such as the XYplorer ZIP package, the file has an NTFS alternate data stream written on disk (called :Zone.Identifier:$DATA). It it the thing that triggers the security warning. Now if I clear the stream and then unzip the file, every unzipped file is "clean".

However if I decompress the ZIP file without deleting the stream before, each and every file in the archive has the alternate data stream of the original ZIP file, also ContextMenu64.exe which when run triggers the warning as in the picture.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

stephr1 wrote:So, going forward, how would I "clear the stream" or actually change it (can I, and to what) so I don't run into this problem in the future.
Simply go into the settings of your zipper/unzipper and untick the appropriate setting. Some zippers allow this on a per file basis, for others it's a permanent setting:
Zip-Extract.jpg
Zip-Extract.jpg (29.08 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
I rarely need to check up on this, however, since none of my clients uses this setting, anyway.
To make sure you don't, either, also check your compression options:
Zip-Compress.jpg
Zip-Compress.jpg (19.99 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

stephr1

Post by stephr1 »

Once again, thanks.

Turns out the Settings options you suggest do not seem to exist in the latest version (V18.5) of WinZip. However, a FAQ on the WinZip site (http://kb.winzip.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=13) explains how to do this using the zip file's properties. What I noticed is the "Block" option, once it's unticked, goes away and there's no obvious way to get it back (maybe....unless the unzipped file is rezipped....I'll have to try that out).

Cheers....

Stef123 wrote:
stephr1 wrote:So, going forward, how would I "clear the stream" or actually change it (can I, and to what) so I don't run into this problem in the future.
Simply go into the settings of your zipper/unzipper and untick the appropriate setting. Some zippers allow this on a per file basis, for others it's a permanent setting:
Zip-Extract.jpg
I rarely need to check up on this, however, since none of my clients uses this setting, anyway.
Zip-Compress.jpg

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

stephr1 wrote:Turns out the Settings options you suggest do not seem to exist in the latest version (V18.5) of WinZip.
Sorry for that. I am not familiar with WinZip.

ale

Post by ale »

stephr1 wrote: So, going forward, how would I "clear the stream" or actually change it (can I, and to what) so I don't run into this problem in the future. I found a program from MS called stream.exe. Would that work, or do you have a better suggestion?
To delete a stream from a single file, I usually right click on the file and then unblock it from the file properties.

To mass checking and cleaning I set on AlternateStreamView from Nir Sofer. He seems to have a useful and high quality tool about everything :)

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I think it could be helpful, if this (display and handle blocking) could be done native in XY, in properties panel?
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

stephr1

Post by stephr1 »

No problem! I also have RAR but prefer WinZip.

I haven't tried the re-zip experiment, yet. However, has the download file been changed? I decided to download the zip version again just to compare it with the unblocked version. When I looked at Properties, the "Block" option (w/box) was no longer available for the newly-downloaded file.

Cheers....
Stef123 wrote:
stephr1 wrote:Turns out the Settings options you suggest do not seem to exist in the latest version (V18.5) of WinZip.
Sorry for that. I am not familiar with WinZip.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Also might depend on the download manager app you're using.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

stephr1

Post by stephr1 »

I wanted to circle back around on this to provide an update.

I downloaded and installed the most recent release (V14.20.0200). I used the unzip/copy method this time and had no problems at all.

I'm curious. Was something changed to deal with the alternate data stream issue? I also noticed when I looked at properties on the zip file, there was no box for the Block option.

Cheers...
stephr1 wrote:Once again, thanks.

Turns out the Settings options you suggest do not seem to exist in the latest version (V18.5) of WinZip. However, a FAQ on the WinZip site (http://kb.winzip.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=13) explains how to do this using the zip file's properties. What I noticed is the "Block" option, once it's unticked, goes away and there's no obvious way to get it back (maybe....unless the unzipped file is rezipped....I'll have to try that out).

Cheers....

Stef123 wrote:
Zip-Extract.jpg
Zip-Compress.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, nothing was changed on my side.