Wide Tabs & BC bar

Features wanted...
autocart

Wide Tabs & BC bar

Post by autocart »

Hi Don,

The new feature "wide tabs" is cool, but could the bread crumbs bar stay at the width of the list, please? Having the navigation buttons all the way to the left is too far away :)

Regarding WT on 2 panes. The upper/left pane could keep the WT w/ problem.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Wide Tabs & BC bar

Post by j_c_hallgren »

autocart wrote:The new feature "wide tabs" is cool, but could the bread crumbs bar stay at the width of the list, please? Having the navigation buttons all the way to the left is too far away :)
Both eil and I (which makes 3 of us!) have said similar in http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 73#p105673 but Don disagrees as you can see there...But looking at Filehero's screen via http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 06#p105706 (which does NOT have wide BC) but you can see where having BC solely over list looks best to me and as you say, keeps nav buttons close "to the action".
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

j_c_hallgren wrote: having BC solely over list looks best to me and as you say, keeps nav buttons close "to the action".
To be honest up front: as a dual pane user I am not affected, but nevertheless I definitely agree. Should this issue turn into a poll, count me in.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, ok. The public vote here is just too obvious. Next version will exclude the Breadcrumb Bar from it. See if you like it better...

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Or you could provide an option as you did with the Tab bar...Wide Breadcrumb bar - checked or unchecked. I favor BC over list only myself, but an option, though probably more work, keeps everyone happy. 8)
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, let's see if we can get by without an additional option. Something tells me that XY has kind of enough options already... ;)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Now that I see the now "misaligned" AB ..., well, anyway. :whistle:

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I told you it's bad. :P

Marco

Post by Marco »

admin wrote:I told you it's bad. :P
Mee too :mrgreen:
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Marco wrote:
admin wrote:I told you it's bad. :P
Mee too :mrgreen:
I know, it's my belated "+1". :biggrin:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Filehero wrote:Now that I see the now "misaligned" AB ..., well, anyway. :whistle:
I don't see the problem but then again, I have TB and AB on same line so it seems fine in that config...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I don't see the problem but then again, I have TB and AB on same line so it seems fine in that config...
It looks and feels somewhat unnatural if I simply switch to wide with my standard configuration as shown in the screenshot you've already referenced.
When I'm lazy and in mouse-only mode I have to move to the very left for changing tabs, but have to stay more centered for BC usage. Of course, I could get used to it. Fortunately the horizontal screen estate as well as tab gallore* have never been an issue here, so I don't need that option.

*: With the centered list it's even easier. I have just 4 places I want and have to be at hand permanently -> iconized & locked
All the rest of my 'major' locations I jump to in my default tab using the 'sticky' favorites.

Cheers,
Filehero
Last edited by Filehero on 04 Jun 2014 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are we ending up at a draw now? Should we open a poll? Should I (sigh) add another option? Or a tweak? Me I personally I'm still in favor of the first solution (Tabs and BC joined). Note that it is similar with the Wide Info Panel: the Status Bar is joined with it.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote:Me I personally I'm still in favor of the first solution (Tabs and BC joined)
Me too. Although the navigation arrows would really be too right, the current look (0113) is weird.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Filehero wrote:It looks and feels somewhat unnatural if I simply switch to wide with my standard configuration
Ok - but - You weren't a user of the tweak before that gave Wide Tabs, right? So it would/could look/feel unusual...but it wouldn't to those who WERE used to that layout.
When I'm lazy and in mouse-only mode I have to move to the very left for changing tabs, but have to stay more centered for BC usage. Of course, I could get used to it. Fortunately the horizontal screen estate as well as tab gallore* have never been an issue here, so I don't need that option.
But to the others who posted here that did use the option, having it is worthwhile...

Don, I don't think a poll is needed -- it appears to me (since the other requestors haven't spoken up) that reviving the old tweak as a menu opt as now is sufficient....we'd need to hear from eil and binocular222 as to their opinions.

Summary: IF you weren't using the tweak that gave "wide tabs" before now, then don't complain about the looks/layout now by using it, ok? There are some other layout options that I think look weird but I'm not going to try and have them altered because I know they look normal to others and vice-versa.

Addendum: With Wide tabs and centered list w/nav buttons on BC, it give extra space for many tabs yet keeps the nav buttons close to list where they get used so the current style satisfies the needs for compact BC yet extra tabs.