Previewing Videos

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
IHipschman

Previewing Videos

Post by IHipschman »

I am continuing to evaluate XYplorer and have one (final I believe) unresolved issue. I am unable to preview videos. I have tried both .mp4 and .mov videos and neither will work. I have Windows 8.1 64 bit and both file types play if I double click on them, although they play in what appears to be a full screen app and I can't identify what program is actually doing the playing. Is there a way to get XYplorer's preview to play them?

Thanks,
Ivan Hipschman

ale

Re: Previewing Videos

Post by ale »

Hello Ivan,

playing and previewing videos (and other formats like for example .pdf) it's not only a matter of XYplorer and the OS version, it's really a problem where every system is somewhat different from another because there are some others software components involved that may be missing, misbehaving and even conflicting in their parts. The reason is that when we install for example so called "codec packs" and many other types of software such as software to manage or edit photos, videos, to play DVDs and many others, they all install and tweak the system to "their liking" but more often than not they end up making a mess of the system. And even if we uninstall them, almost always, they can't undo cleanly all their modifications. This is a bit the background for these issues.

Now, for the resolution, I can only tell what I did on my system, and I'm positive it will work on a pretty pristine Windows system. I installed a audio/video decoder and splitter called "LAV Filters". I believe it's a high quality piece of software and generally well behaving.

You can find the installer here
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases
("LAVFilters-0.61.2-Installer.exe" green button)

More info at
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191

I'm not sure it will solve your issue, given the background I tried to explain, but IMO, I think it's worth trying. Let us know your experience

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

You might want to try setting up a desktop app (WMP?) as default for media files via control panel/pc settings.
I don't have Win8 though.

Regarding what ale said, I think K-lite codec pack is a great alternative to LAV filters.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Thanks to both of you. I changed file associations to point to Windows Media Player as suggested by SammaySarkar and that resolved my problem of videos being played by some unknown full screen app when I double click on them. But XYplorer preview still does not play them. I'm not sure I want to install a codec-pack to try to fix XYplorer preview when everything else is working perfectly.