multiple files preview

Features wanted...
itsme28m

multiple files preview

Post by itsme28m »

Hi,

I would like to see automatic next file preview for audio and video files, so when multiple files are selected, that the selected file starts previewing... when it is at the end of the preview, automatically and directly start the following file. Oh, and now i start it... maybe also, for in the future, thesame possibility for graphic files like jpg's, and in the options screen to set a delay for every picture file, so you would have a slideshow. But, the starting directly the following selected file for videos and audio files is the main thing ;-).

Greetings,

Steve

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'd personally say that this wish falls into the domain of a multi-media product (like IrFanView or Picasa) and not a file explorer... :roll: Being able to preview a file is itself a big extension to what Win Expl does, and that alone is fine with me... :)

We're (and I'm using that as I feel part of the XY 'gang' :wink: ) hopefully NOT trying to make XY the only applic you're ever need to have running, just the best at what it's core function is...right?

And should we find a great low-cost (free is better) app that solves an issue that Xy doesn't handle (or shouldn't) , I think we can share it via this forum, as I've done before...

Now IF Don thinks differently, then I'll defer to his judgement as XY is his babe! This just kinda struck me as trying to make a spoon into a fork, which we all know as a spork, and does neither job well... :shock:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:This just kinda struck me as trying to make a spoon into a fork, which we all know as a spork, and does neither job well... :shock:
:lol: Yep, that's right. XY != spork.

itsme28m

Ok...

Post by itsme28m »

Ok, then the slideshow is to much to ask... but when multiple audio files or video files are selected, automatically going to the next one is not... Because for one reason, xyplorer has also a loop function, wich is something i don't use, exept maybe when searching for a small flash file. And when there are much very small audio and video files, you always have to click each file to hear or see what it is, when previewing automatically the next one would be go much faster then, and also, a real video or audio viewer is slower for playing an audio or video file. I have a very new dual core 2 system. The video or audio preview happens directly, windows media player or some others take at least a second when i double click the file.

And for having this in a player, you have to insert the files first into the playlist. i think xyplorer is mainly for managing your files... the preview is great for managing files, this was the main thing why i purchased xyplorer. Because there are applications that saves graphics for example with a no meaningfull name, or small audio or video files. I even used the preview just for viewing some small video tutorials, automatically going to the next without clicking the next each time would be a great time saver.

The preview is already build in, just that one option to go automatically to the next selected file would be great. This for all audio and video files, and if it's possible, also for flash (swf i think?) files.

Greetings,

Steve

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

After reading last post, I reviewed how XY presently handles multiple selected audio files (for example), which is, as I see it: Play only last selected one and deselect any others...
So maybe I'd moderate my opinion and say that having a way to jump to next file in selected set may not be THAT bad of a request. :wink:

However, it would seem there would then need to be an easy way to break out of the "chain", so I could see a "Continue? yes/no" type msg at end of each file, with default being yes, so <Enter> would do it...Ok, so it would require a keystroke, but the ability to easily abort out would, IMHO, offset that overhead....or maybe there's a better way already?

As XY presently doesn't truely play multiple selected, having this as option doesn't seem needed...it would work basically as is now for 99% of users..

Or having XY preview/play the actual first selected entry, and then allow use of arrow keys to pick next one might also work..

Yikes! :shock: This is my 400th post here??
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

itsme28m

A keystroke for this would not be a good thing...

Post by itsme28m »

The good thing about xyplorer is that you just have to click up arrow or down arrow to preview the following file. Lets say this: most wav files from windows are very small, if you would select them, you would have everytime a new message coming up to play the following file.

How it behaves now is then better, because no message screen is disturbing you, and u can just go up and down with the arrow keys.

Having xyplorer going to the next audio or video file is just to make it easier to go trough these files, display a dialog for each file would make this harder and even more time consuming.

Breaking out is easy... just hit the space bar to pause, and go further with your search and other file actions that you need.

Greetings,

Steve

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Remember that one could select multiple files that are not contiguous in list, so you might have selected files #2, #5-#7, and #12...
Using the standard arrow keys, one would have to skip over #3-#4, etc.
That's why I suggested there be some alternate navigation ideas.

itsme28m

Indeed

Post by itsme28m »

Indeed, now that you say that, it makes me think that automaticaly play preview next video/audio selected file is even more handy :?:

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Well, the easiest way to add that (a/ as I see it; b/ easiest not referring to code-work ;)) would be to have XY switch the focus to the next selected item on List while previewing file, as this would automaticaly means start previewing it (according that you have Autoplay enabled) and keeps consistent with the way it works now...
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Ok...that seems practical...but how do we handle the fact that now when you select another file, that file becomes the focus for preview? Say I start by going into my WAV folder...I select file #2...that has focus and is to be previewed...then I hold down Cntl and select #5...now #5 is in the preview window....which allows me to see some more details about the file (which I like!!) ...and I thus continue on...how would y'all propose to handle this situation?
As to exactly when to begin playing the file? And which one to play first? Suppose they were selected in order different from position on list, like #5, #2, #6, #1, etc?

Update: When one selects a group of files via Shift, the first of the set is what stays within preview...so it differs by how the most recent file was selected...

itsme28m

An idea...

Post by itsme28m »

Well, you should have the option to enable or disable the option. For who wants to preview next files automatically they don't see the extra information directly when selecting multiple files. So i would say, keep automaticaly previewing the next file as an option, not enabled by default. And only have this option to audio and video files. So even when the option is on, have the default behaviour on all other files. And when to begin to play the file? starting just from the first selected file afcourse ;-)

Greetings,

Steve

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Ok...that seems practical...but how do we handle the fact that now when you select another file, that file becomes the focus for preview? Say I start by going into my WAV folder...I select file #2...that has focus and is to be previewed...then I hold down Cntl and select #5...now #5 is in the preview window....which allows me to see some more details about the file (which I like!!) ...and I thus continue on...how would y'all propose to handle this situation?
As to exactly when to begin playing the file? And which one to play first? Suppose they were selected in order different from position on list, like #5, #2, #6, #1, etc?
I would say this new option would be as simple as this: when previewing a file, when we're done and if there are more than one file selected, givbe focus to the next one in List (according to current List order).

so you select #2. It has focus & is previewed. Hold down & select #5, it gets also selected, got focus and is previewed. If you don't do nothing anymore, when the preview is done either it stops there, as there are no more selected files.

Now when you say you select #5, #2, #6, #1; if done in that order then once done #1 has focus so it is being previewed. Then #2, then #5 and then #6. According that you don't do nothing of course, as selecting/focusing another item would affect this, so would changing the list sort order, etc.

As I said, I'd see this simply as a "move focus to next selected item in List" feature, nothing more. Ony special case is selecting files with the mouse and having the focused one not included in the selection. Well, then maybe the first item of the selection gets the focus, and then it's all a next, next, next...
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I think jacky has summed it up quite nicely! :D
But when Autoplay (if activated) would kick in is a bit vague to me still...
Seems that it would be needed to auto-jump from one file to another but if it's on, then selecting each file would activate it too quickly, if y'all follow that...

itsme28m

Just like usual...

Post by itsme28m »

The autoplay should just be like it is now, at the first time you click the file, let the autoplay begin, but keep the first selected file playing when ctrl or shift click other files when the function is on, so it plays the next file when the end of the first selected file is played. And just one click on a file would autoplay that selected file. Only with multiple selected files, lets only preview the first selected file till the end, and then preview the second selected one...

Greetings,

Steve

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I'd personally say that this wish falls into the domain of a multi-media product (like IrFanView or Picasa) and not a file explorer... :roll: Being able to preview a file is itself a big extension to what Win Expl does, and that alone is fine with me... :)

We're (and I'm using that as I feel part of the XY 'gang' :wink: ) hopefully NOT trying to make XY the only applic you're ever need to have running, just the best at what it's core function is...right?

And should we find a great low-cost (free is better) app that solves an issue that Xy doesn't handle (or shouldn't) , I think we can share it via this forum, as I've done before...

Now IF Don thinks differently, then I'll defer to his judgement as XY is his babe! This just kinda struck me as trying to make a spoon into a fork, which we all know as a spork, and does neither job well... :shock:
I think the Preview pane is already sporking... as opposed to thumbnail view, which can be considered part of exploring
test everything. hold on to the good.