Bangla translation

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
bdeshi

Bangla translation

Post by bdeshi »

edit: Stopped.
I've started translating XYplorer to Bangla.

আমি XYplorer-কে বাংলায় অনুবাদ করতে শুরু করেছি।
:)
----------------------------------

Many places cannot render bangla correctly (menu bar, buttons). What should I do to make them visible?
I believe it has something to do with the OS, it happens with other complex languages, such as Korean.
Last edited by bdeshi on 28 Apr 2014 10:43, edited 2 times in total.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Re: Bangla translation (on-going)

Post by admin »

Wow, Bangla! :appl:

The characters should be rendered correctly on any Windows that it localized to Bangla. The same is true for all other language with Unicode characters.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Oh, okay. I had windows' Bangla language pack, thought it just translated ui texts...

Bangla is the 7th most spoken language, and honestly, pretty beautiful!
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It looks beautiful for sure!

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

So I wanted to see how the ??? strings look, and installed the Bangla lang pack. And promptly had a shock:
FontNotDisplayed.png
FontNotDisplayed.png (63.57 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
Apparently, a special class of strings is stilll shown that way, even though Windows' own strings are clearly translated.

Oh, what do I do?
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

See attached screenshot (Control Panel / Region Settings, or so -- I only have German Windows here). If this does not help, could you send me your Bangla LNG file for testing?
Attachments
2014-04-27_183755.png
2014-04-27_183755.png (19.27 KiB) Viewed 7569 times

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Windows 7 doesn't have Bangla/Bengali in System Locale ( believe that's what you pointed at). Does Win8?
Here's the very little translated lng
Attachments
Bangla.lng
(952.04 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh no, now I see what's the problem. There is no Windows code page for Bangla! Therefore it will not work. :cry: I'm sorry for the work you did in vain.

BTW, we had the same issue with Hindi some months ago but I had forgotten. :oops:

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

:blackstorm: :blackstorm:

I feel unnaturally angry at MS.

:idea: Anyways, I'll continue my work, albeit slowly, hoping Windows 9/10/11... gets actual Bangla support.
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

... or that MS finally decides to continue development of its best programming language and gives it full native Unicode support.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, you can see here that a Bengali (= Bangla, right?) code page exists, but it is an extended code page. This is of no use for XY. Only ANSI and OEM code pages will do the job.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee719641.aspx

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Yep, Bengali = Bangla. Bangla is the modern spelling. (Bangla is the language's actual name, Bengali came from the name of its main region of use, Bengal.)

VB development is an even better proposition. We're all hopeful! :D
[ this user is asleep ]

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

admin wrote:Oh no, now I see what's the problem. There is no Windows code page for Bangla! Therefore it will not work. :cry: I'm sorry for the work you did in vain.

BTW, we had the same issue with Hindi some months ago but I had forgotten. :oops:
Yes. I tried to translate in Hindi, and faced the same problem. Some strings did not get translated and got displayed with ???? and I put down the translation at all.

That's why, recently I posted in the Wishlist section of this forum to that it is now high time XYPlorer starts supporting Unicode, at least in File Search Section.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This only concerns some control captions (menu items, buttons, labels). But not the main input/output controls.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

I think the problem lies with some Non-Unicode Components used in the XYPlorer which intrinsically does not support Unicode Characters and displays ???? instead. All other MS Software including Excel/Access/Word correctly displays Unicode which shows there is no issue of Windows or MS not supporting it. It is some programming components which are specific to Non-Unicode paradigm, specifically in VB 6. I have tried using VB6 built-in components but the Unicode characters were far from use. If we use third party components which supports Unicode (like VText etc.), or by using Office 2000 ActiveX controls, we can have same functionality. Of course, the redistribution of the components may not be licensed by MS. Search for the subject "Full Unicode Support" by "Ashwin" in the forum dated 23 Aug 2014. XY Programmer also confirmed with the issue/solution, but he said in the end of the above communication, that he cannot put this to the top of the list.

I have translated many software like (1) CintaNotes PRO (2) File Locator Pro (3) Kutools for Excel (4) Office Tab Enterprise (5) priPrinter (6) Poster Printer, and many more to Hindi/Gujarati languages, which has never posed any issue in any OS, i.e. Win7 or Win8.

That's why I raised the Full Unicode Support issue sometimes back, and I still back the issue, because you know what, I am not able to search file name or rename a file with Unicode Characters, and I am forced to use File Locator Pro instead, which is very good in searching with Unicode Characters inside file, besides though not having functionality as a common file manager.

Knock Knock...