Too Slow to display the output of the 'Computer' button

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
aimy

Too Slow to display the output of the 'Computer' button

Post by aimy »

Please refer to the image attached for my PC specs.
2014-04-23_213439.gif
2014-04-23_213439.gif (6.21 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Before this the computer was connected to a 500GB external drive without any problem.

But now I am connecting it to a 1TB external hard disk.

So it starts to slow down the display of the 'Computer' items as displayed in the screenshot.
2014-04-24_205226.gif
2014-04-24_205226.gif (22.11 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Any ideas?

And by the way, how do I speed up the XYplorer initial startup? I've disabled the network browsing.

Please refer to the attached screenshot.
2014-04-24_205759.gif
2014-04-24_205759.gif (30.22 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Thank you.

highend

Re: Too Slow to display the output of the 'Computer' button

Post by highend »

A new harddisk is slowing down your pc?

Then refresh the windows experience index and post a screenshot of it's content (esp. for the transfer rate index).

Apart from that, config of the old hd / new hd (usb 2/3 | e-sata | wlan, whatever)?
Does the device manager list any errors / unknown devices?

For speedup suggestions, open the menu - help and click on Various Information while holding the ctrl key.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

aimy

Post by aimy »

Thanks high end.

But it's the external USB plug and play hard disk.

And I am replacing that old external 500 GB with 1 TB external hard disk, not adding a new one.

As for the Windows Experience Index, I have tried many times before, but finnaly it turn into a blue screen (the same case when the 500GB before).

Browsing to the hard disk have no problem at all.

Only that display item of Computer is so slow about 5 secs.

Thank you.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

I'm not a computer expert, but what happens if you go to Start button, then "Computer?" Is that also slow? Does it show the same items in the "Computer" folder as the pop up in XY's Computer button?

Is it possible that you've customized that button somehow before switching you HD?
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

highend

Post by highend »

Always slow?

Maybe it's just the spinup time of the new hdd after it's gone into standby...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

aimy

Post by aimy »

kunkel321 wrote:I'm not a computer expert, but what happens if you go to Start button, then "Computer?" Is that also slow? Does it show the same items in the "Computer" folder as the pop up in XY's Computer button?

Is it possible that you've customized that button somehow before switching you HD?
Thanks.

Nope, it's not slow at all!

I did not customized the button. It's the default and the same button as before.

aimy

Post by aimy »

highend wrote:Always slow?

Maybe it's just the spinup time of the new hdd after it's gone into standby...
Yep.

It's still slow until now even I've shut down my PC several times already.

It's taking about 5 - 10 secs together with the spinning icon before it shows up.

As you can see in my screenshot, it's not that many drives that I have. In fact, it's the same as before while I'm using the 500GB hard disk.

This really drives me nuts :(

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Dunno.
I did just notice that if you have the breadcrumb bar showing, and if you have it with "triangles" rather than slashes, then there is a triangle to the left of the path. Clicking that triangle gives the same popup list of locations... Presumably that is also slow? Also, it appears that if you RIGHT-click the Computer Icon, then you get an expanded list.

I seem to remember a resent feature addition whereby a person could assign nicknames to the different drives. (Unless I imagined it ;) ) Probably that's not your problem though.

I do have to say that when I've had similar problems with different file managers, it's usually related to the network locations at my work place.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

aimy wrote:This really drives me nuts :(
Pun. LOL. :biggrin:
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

aimy

Post by aimy »

I've tried disconnecting the external hard disk.. Well, it's still the same.

Any ideas??? :(

aimy

Post by aimy »

Anyone? :(

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'
If that may help, I just added the "Computer" icon on my (borrowed) old, mini-laptop with XY and my softs running from an external USB2 HDD. No problem of responsiveness with the icon...

1. Have you tried disconnecting the computer from the network and check again?
2. If you have an antivirus running, have you tried deactivating it completely (temporarily)?

Most of the time those are the main culprits.
If one yields results, it will be easier to track down the real problem...

Hope this helps,
Flux

aimy

Post by aimy »

Actually I've fixed this problem by copying the whole XYplorer program folder from my another PC, let me name it as PowerLogic.

The problem solved instantly.

But now the PowerLogic itself has the same problem.

I just don't know how could this happen. I did not change anything, I did not add any new drives.

Please help.

Thank you.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

I have similar problems with my 4 TB Seagate external USB drives. It can't be related to size alone, though, because XY handles the 4 TB Freecom without problems. Nor does it have problems with even larger drives when I work portable in a corporate environment.

The drive doesn't go idle, it can't be spin-up time. Nor do I have anything installed that speeds up transfer rates (some manufacturers provide those tools with their drives). One other file manager also has problems with the same drive. But in that case, the slow-down gets successively worse the longer I work with it. Restarting that file manager always solves it (for a while, probably some cache limits that run over).

Have not tested yet how it behaves on other machines, if it makes a difference whether I connect via USB vs eSata etc.

aimy

Post by aimy »

I'm still having issue with this.

I have tried replace the computer button with drive button, it's still the same.

I've also disabled my antivirus, disconnect the network, still have no effect.

I've just installed the latest XYplorer 14.20.0200, also the same problem persists.

Please help.

Thank you.