PDF printers and other PDF related tools

What other productivity software are you working with...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

PDF printers and other PDF related tools

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I don't have any actual printer (and having winter + summer homes makes it impractical as well) as I use library to print handful of pages per month I need but do rely on http://www.primopdf.com to "print" any receipts or orders or such....been using this for years also.

In last year, found this free tool http://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html that has REALLY helped me do some tasks I needed! Like extracting pages 5-10 from a 100 pg PDF so that I can send just the relevant portions to a friend, or save it for quick reference, etc...also used it last Thurs to split a 19 page PDF into the 5 separate PDF's that it was compiled from so I could have all 5 open in different tabs/windows.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Re: PDF printers and other PDF related tools

Post by serendipity »

I use primopdf too. Thanks for the tip on pdfill will see if it suits my need. Meanwhile I've been using PDFTools which splits/joins/rearranges pdf. Link: http://sheelapps.com/index.php?p=PDFToo ... ction=view

Note: it can be made portable.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirmed: PrimoPDF for creating (via printing).

For viewing I swear on PDF-XChange Viewer.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:Confirmed: PrimoPDF for creating (via printing).

For viewing I swear on PDF-XChange Viewer.
Same exact choices for me too.
Especially the fact that PDF-Xchange has browser plugins and can be previewed in XY.

eil

Post by eil »

i seldom have need to create pdf, so have no favorite printer.
among viewers i used to admire FoxIt Reader, but it became too clumsy lately, so i was glad to find PDF-XChange Viewer for myself. :wink:
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

PDF-XChange Viewer: mainly for the same reason as serendipity -browser plugin, but also because it has a better feature set and loads just as fast as FoxIt or Sumatra, both of which I had used before.

For conversion and extraction I use a range of utilities from SomePDF.
http://www.somepdf.com/

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

I am currently using Bullzip PDF Printer, which is free and manages to create relatively small PDF files. There are quite a few decent ones out there though. As a viewer I quite like Sumatra PDF, which is simple and fast.

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for your question imarealy, but maybe this is what you're looking for:

Doculicious
Easily create embeddable web forms that generate PDF documents
http://www.doculicious.com/do/home?

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

Hey guys! Thanks for the info. I've used Primo for many years now, but have been looking for a better viewer (I use FoxIt right now, and it's gone downhill lately). I will try the ones you'll have suggested.

One little gem I've found is a PDF Metadata editor for programs or OSs (Android) that use this information, it is called BeCyPDFMetaEdit and can be found here: http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaedit/ ... on_eng.htm

It has helped me quite often, check it out, it is free too.
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

Marco

Post by Marco »

Why nobody mentioned PDFCreator?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Marco wrote:Why nobody mentioned PDFCreator?
I agree, after trying several settled for PDFcreator. Love the drag & drop feature. :)

tux.

Post by tux. »

I use a combination of PDF-XChange (viewer with marker functionality, essential for studies) and Nitro PDF (random "better" editing). :)

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'
I use a combination of what's already been suggested here - but with a twist, thanks to XYplorer! :biggrin:
So I thought it's useful to share:

- PDF-XChange Viewer - installed as system default. For its integration with XY previews.
- Sumatra PDF (portable) - defined as XY default through PFO . Because it's incredibly faster! (less a few exceptions ~< 5%).

BTW for those who haven't tried, PFO (PortableFileAssociations: Tools | Customize File Associations...) is a really powerful feature that one shouldn't miss... :D

(PS: former Fox-It user too, before it went south...)

n2tpa

Post by n2tpa »

j_c_hallgren,

I see you posted this topic more than 2 years ago. I was wondering if you're still as enthusiastic about PDFfill as you were then. I've been looking for a decent PDF creator and am impressed by both your endorsement and their feature set. It almost sounds too good to be true, so I'm a bit nervous about it. Are you still a satisfied user?

Bill

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

n2tpa wrote: I see you posted this topic more than 2 years ago. I was wondering if you're still as enthusiastic about PDFfill as you were then. I've been looking for a decent PDF creator and am impressed by both your endorsement and their feature set. It almost sounds too good to be true, so I'm a bit nervous about it. Are you still a satisfied user?
Yes - I'm still a satisfied user FOR the Free vers for the usage cases that I mentioned: Extracting selected pages and splitting and such...I can't speak to any other create features but it certainly solved the problem of "printing" a receipt from eBay or such and having pg 2 and 3 of 4 pages being the only ones i want to keep in PDF form.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.