Making Flash Video preview work

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Chris Wood

Making Flash Video preview work

Post by Chris Wood »

Code: Select all

v5.40.0046 - 13.12.06 09:25
    + Media Preview: added *.flv (Flash Video) format. Which means: now,
      XYplorer can offline-replay YouTube videos!
      Here is how: While playing a YouTube video, visit your "Temporary
      Internet Files" cache folder and search for files called
      "get_video[1]". The newest of them should be the video just playing.
      Copy it to some other place and rename it to "YourTitle.flv" (or
      "Copy As..." it in one go). Voila, XYplorer can play them in the
      Preview tab. If it does not work, you might want to install the "K-
      Lite Mega Codec Pack".
I don't want to download that whole thing, and I already use both Mplayer and FLVplayer, so I'm guessing I already have the relevant codec somewhere... how does flv preview work, how can I get it working?
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Making Flash Video preview work

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:

Code: Select all

v5.40.0046 - 13.12.06 09:25
    + Media Preview: added *.flv (Flash Video) format. Which means: now,
      XYplorer can offline-replay YouTube videos!
      Here is how: While playing a YouTube video, visit your "Temporary
      Internet Files" cache folder and search for files called
      "get_video[1]". The newest of them should be the video just playing.
      Copy it to some other place and rename it to "YourTitle.flv" (or
      "Copy As..." it in one go). Voila, XYplorer can play them in the
      Preview tab. If it does not work, you might want to install the "K-
      Lite Mega Codec Pack".
I don't want to download that whole thing, and I already use both Mplayer and FLVplayer, so I'm guessing I already have the relevant codec somewhere... how does flv preview work, how can I get it working?
Well, there are no secrets. Preview a *.flv file by selecting it with the Preview tab open. If this does not work, you need the Mega Pack.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Instead of adding the whole Mega Pack, I thought I'd try some experiments...I had a FLV file that I'd captured from my IE cache, and when trying to preview it, XY said "Cannot decode"...ok, fine...so I found this page http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/flv.shtml which provides links to the Gabest Flash Video Splitter, which I then downloaded (159KB) and "installed" (which just extracted three files to a folder, as I see it)...

Then I followed the instructions at
http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/ ... page3.html which basically involved copying the FLVSplitter.av file to System32 folder, selecting "Run" and typing in (assuming your Windows directory is on the C:\ drive): regsvr32 "C:\windows\system32\FLVSplitter.ax"

After doing this, I found that I still could not view the FLV files in XY, but I was able to LISTEN to them at least! And could also now listen in Windows Media Player...not quite what I wanted, but at least an improvement over "cannot decode"!

Thus I figured I'd share this experience so others may benefit...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

surrender

Post by surrender »

To be frank I too hate installing whole lot of codecs which i dont know if i will ever use. I have heard both good things and bad things about codec packs, so I will leave it to users to decide.
But as far as my experience is concerned, i tried hard to get previews working and digged here and there for codecs (wasting a lot of time).
Out of frustration, i gave up and went back to my previous codec pack K-lite megapack. Till date I am still to come across any video file that does not preview in XY after installing this. Just to assure you that I have tried it on 12-15 XP PCs and it worked all the time.

Hint: In XYwiki somewhere it is mentioned that if windows media player can play it then XY can preview it.