F2 Renaming behavior

Features wanted...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

zridling wrote:I'm grateful for all the care you've taken over the years to help improve it. (However, where did you get anything about PageUP/PageDN from? All I mentioned was UP/DOWN and HOME/END.)
Hey, I'm sort of a latecomer myself! I've only used XY since Jan 06, but I quickly became heavily involved in this forum...given that: I REALLY liked the product and how Don handles it; I've got the time; and I was a mainframe programmer/analyst for 25+ yrs, plus involved with PC's since 1980's so have some experience in various things...like dealing with sometimes clueless new users! :roll:
Luckily, I don't find that on this forum...but it's the ones who are silent one has to think about.
zridling wrote:(3) I like the UP/DOWN to get to the beginning and end, but right now they don't work that way, and worse, it's inefficient — I've got to unnecessarily move my hand away from the arrows and up to the HOME/END keys
That's what led me to believe you meant the Page keys since my down arrow is in between the left/right arrows, and up arrow is between down arrow and Shift...so finger/hand movement would be one key away at most.

jacky: Do you see any defects/issues in my idea to adapt up/down arrows for these special usages?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:jacky: Do you see any defects/issues in my idea to adapt up/down arrows for these special usages?
No I don't. Right now they're just doing the same as Left/Right so we can aswell use them for some different function. Besides, rename mode has no list involved, so no "confusion" risk of any kind here.

I think for me the best would be the no selection option, as I mostly have to tweak the end of a filename rather than changing it completely (or that'd be a group job I do through XY's Rename Special features).

What could be done is use the Up/Down keys as jc suggested, allowing to loose the selection in one key without having the cursor to move using Down; or go to the beginning using Up (but that's not the most important part here, and always could be done in one key (Home) also)
And besides that, maybe add an option to have the Rename mode be "selection-less" and only puts the cursor before the extension's dot (or at the end, if exclude extention is off)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

jacky wrote:or go to the beginning using Up (but that's not the most important part here, and always could be done in one key (Home) also)
Thanks, jacky, for the basic agreement with my proposal! 8)

And, yes, the Home key already does what I suggested for UP; however, it's quite a few key positions away (5 on mine) from the arrows on keyboard, so I was allowing an alternate and much closer key to do same...thus minimizing the travel distance my index finger needs to move!
You DO know that I'm still, after all these years, a hunt-and-peck typist, right? :wink:

UPDATE:I had a discussion with Don off-list after above post about this and some other items...and he seemed to agree that my UP/DN arrow idea had merit...so we might see this implemented...I never said it was the ultimate/perfect solution, but it appears to solve the problem without impacting normal existing usage, which is crucial, IMHO.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Just tried out 5.50.5 which has the UP/DOWN mod for rename as I'd proposed... :D
IMO, works just as good in reality as I had theorized! I'm going to be using it often! Quick and convenient!

However... :( Zaine had requested this apply also to "Copy Here As"...
and I don't see it as having been done so
...though I don't use that function much, I can see where same thing should/could apply...so how bout that tweak in next beta?

Update #2: How about it also on rename when in Tree? At least the UP part, as 99.9% of users don't use extensions on folder names, and Down really doesn't apply then anyway.
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 01 Jan 2007 23:16, edited 2 times in total.

zridling

FANTASTIC!

Post by zridling »

Don did it again, and cut right through our complexity with a simple solution. For 5.50.0005, after selecting the file and hitting F2 to rename, the down arrow places the insertion point before the extension; the up arrow jumps you to the beginning of the file; and CTRL+A selects all. Verra nize! Thanks again to everyone for their input and JC for the UP/DN suggestion! This is a very nice touch.

— Up/Dn keys unselect any selection inside the edit box by a single keystroke without moving the caret one position to the left or right;
— This is useful for example when the selection is set to the base excluding the extension (to do this, check Configuration | Advanced | Exclude extension on rename);
— Note that using the Up key will move the caret to the left end of the selection, using the Down key will move it to the right end. Another nice control plus;
— Now Ctrl+A does select all contents.
- Zaine Ridling, The Great Software blog

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Yep, seen the Up/Down thing, really nice addition! :D
I agree also that on Move/Copy Here As it should work the same, especially since it also works the same using the Exclude extension on rename option.

I agree with jc also regarding the rename on Tree for Up (since Down works the same already), if only just for consistency : so renaming folders would work the same on Tree & List, since renaming folders on List doesn't use the Exclude extension option, even when enabled (which makes sense, since as jc said the dots used in folder names are pretty much never related to extension)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Thanks Don, another bug fixed before I had a chance to report it :)
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, just added it to Move/Copy-Here-As and to the Tree. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Thanks Don, another bug fixed before I had a chance to report it :)
Bug? What bug?

BTW, haven't seen you here for quite a while, Chris. Don't tell me that you have betrayed me with another file manager! :wink:

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:Bug? What bug?
I mean bug in the Bugzilla sense, where any potential improvement is a "bug" to be fixed.
admin wrote:BTW, haven't seen you here for quite a while, Chris. Don't tell me that you have betrayed me with another file manager! :wink:
lol, as if. Although I still use Explorer half the time because XYplorer doesn't display folder thumbnails (ie. folder.jpg).

Yeah I was going to say hello after I'd caught up on all the changes but I've only gotten halfway. Here is my hello post.
test everything. hold on to the good.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Awesome, Don!!! This is such a nice addition to your already great file manager!
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I've already gotten SO used to this, that when I was doing a rename in Win Expl (had to hide/save my XY INI/Cat files for bug test so kinda hard to do that while you're in XY), I wondered why IT didn't go to left end on UP arrow! :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I've already gotten SO used to this, that when I was doing a rename in Win Expl (had to hide/save my XY INI/Cat files for bug test so kinda hard to do that while you're in XY), I wondered why IT didn't go to left end on UP arrow! :roll:
Same here. MS should really implement this system-wide. I'll make it cheap... :wink:

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Funnily enough, last night I was thinking that you should do a Windows Shell Mod don ;)
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)