Custom Columns

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Custom Columns

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Yes, I'm not very excited about having to write the manual for this... :om:
That may take twice as long as coding for it! :wink:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:Yes, I'm not very excited about having to write the manual for this... :om:
That may take twice as long as coding for it! :wink:
And that's how it typically works. All the hard work and you think it's over... until you document it.

Well, either way, I can't wait till I see your release notes. Your release notes have always been really nice and colorful with many pictures and examples. It's like reading a modern textbook... but without the dryness.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

kunkel321 wrote:... I have no idea how to customize these anymore....
Okay now I found it. Not sure why I didn't look in the Settings Config panel to start with (??) :whistle: Incidentally, I never did think of it... The only way I found the settings for CCs is that I right-clicked my 'Dimensions' column and saw "Configure All Custom Columns." That appears to be the only place that that menu item appears.... Shouldn't it be listed in most of the column context menus?
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm, yes, agreed :)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I was having the same issue this morning until I remembered Custom Columns in Configuration. Thanks kunkel321 for bring it up and thank you Don for looking into it.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

Post by 40k »

admin wrote:Hmmm, yes, agreed :)
Regarding the name "Custom Columns":
Calibre has been using the same name for a feature they have.

http://blog.calibre-ebook.com/2011/11/c ... lumns.html

Just wanted to make sure you know. I'm not a legal expert by any stretch, but it may be worth keeping this in mind.
I develop scripts that integrate media functionality into Xyplorer.
Hash - Twitch.tv in VLC (NEW 2.0!) - FFmpeg GUI - Youtube downloading
XYplorer for Linux! Tutorial

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, I did not know this. Indeed it's the same name and concept. But I don't see a problem, custom columns is just an English term, right?, and I'm not planning to trademark it in any way.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

In Total Commander's setting panel there is also "Custom Columns." As you say, though, it's a pretty generic term.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, TC has also scriptable columns?

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

admin wrote:So, TC has also scriptable columns?
To my knowledge, they are not natively scriptable, but do support plug-ins, of which there are many. The "Custom" in that case, is more like user-defined groups of columns that can be applied. Same with xplorer2... You can save "Column Sets." One of the TC plugin writers even tried to do something like "Context-Specific" columns http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/super_wdx.html. It's clunky and hasn't been worked on for the last 9 years, but it mostly works. I think the only other big player out there is your nemesis, Dopus. I'm not sure about its capabilities--but I'll bet XY is the only file manager anywhere that can do all of the above "out of the box." :ugeek:
Last edited by kunkel321 on 22 Mar 2014 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, just want to back up my bold claim: "No file manager has ever gone there before." (http://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.php)

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

admin wrote:OK, just want to back up my bold claim: "No file manager has ever gone there before." (http://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.php)
I think your assertion is accurate! :biggrin:
Just FYI on your "What's new" page: I personally think you should tout the "Context Smart" capabilities and also the idea of an "easy share user-script library." But that's just MHO. :whistle:
EDIT:
"What's new in 13.90?
To be released 31-Mar-2014"

You should release it on April 1st just to mess with people.... LOL :wink:
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kunkel321 wrote:Just FYI on your "What's new" page: I personally think you should tout the "Context Smart" capabilities and also the idea of an "easy share user-script library." But that's just MHO. :whistle:
Good idea,done! And hey, I just took your "Context Smart Columns" -- nice catchy term! Thanks! :appl:

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

"Context-Smart Columns" would be proper, I guess.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

I was ready to post into the How are you using Custom Columns?, when I decided to update to the latest beta just to discover that...

1. left alignment doesn't work anymore (so my recipes, sorted by calories, won't easily display the correct order);

2. pilcrow has gone away again...
=(
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...