Easier Download of Languages, End User-Side

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
SkyFrontier

Easier Download of Languages, End User-Side

Post by SkyFrontier »

What about a user being able to open a window, live filter it in search for his/her own language, download it from site and make it automatically the default language file regardless saving configuration or not?

A downloads count which logs both this method and 'languages' page could be useful, too.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

tux.

Re: Easier Download of Languages, End User-Side

Post by tux. »

I'd second this request. Manually downloading language files is sooo 2000s.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Can the 'update language' be made in offline mode, please?
IE, allowing XY to compare current translated version (outadted) against new reference file downloaded manually.
Reason: hardware firewalls.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

As someone who's never used a language other English, I've still been affected by what i see as bad/lousy installs of multilingual in various software...the ones that I DETEST are those that always create a folder for each language with one or two small files per folder...so to keep things clean, i have to delete all those extra files/folders.

Less offensive are those that create all the language files in one folder as it's at least contained in one place.

Both of the above are especially irritating when you choose a given language on install yet it still creates all that junk.

The best are those which only create the files actually needed.

So one way that might be good for XY would be to have a way to do it outside of XY as some other software does.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:Can the 'update language' be made in offline mode, please?
IE, allowing XY to compare current translated version (outadted) against new reference file downloaded manually.
Reason: hardware firewalls.
Not sure what you mean...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Currently, it seems not possible to bring a translation up-to-date in offline mode (in this case, because of a hardware firewall - so the machine is in fact ONLINE, but XY can't make use of 'ITT > File > Update Language File (Download)').

The other natural choice would be using 'Update Language File', which complains about version not matching (or I don't get it?). It seems there's a flaw in the logic here, Don.

In a word, a translator (me) can't update a translation in a case like this. Well... not easy like ITT used to be, using the (Download) method.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

But I did not change anything here. :veryconfused:

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Well... in fact, this never worked like I expected, but never cared much about it until now that *I need* this to upgrade the translation. (Then, I thought I would be doing something wrong and moved on.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can always download the latest ref file in this thread: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 44#p100244

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Yes, but outdated translation can't be bring up-to-date against it because of the issue I described, see...?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

(There should be a way to copy this info from dialog, Don! Selection allowed or copy button...)

The reference file version (8.44) needs to be match the current language support version (8.45).

>>
EN is not my native language, but I think this would be correct:

The reference file version (8.44) needs to match the current language support version (8.45).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Relax, 8.45 is not yet published...