XYS syntax highlighting for Notepad++

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
Filehero

Re: XYS syntax highlighting for Notepad++

Post by Filehero »

Hi Enternal,
Enternal wrote:But were you able to break it with certain script?
Unfortunately not, not enough time. :cry:

Cheers,
Filehero

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Filehero wrote:Hi,

I would like to share my definitions as well.

Notepad++ supports themes. As far as I understood they provide global color defaults as well as specific settings for the in-build supported languages. However, those settings appear to be somehow linked to the internal lexer (e.g., you can define keywords but no operators or delimiters). Fortunately there are User Defined Languages, which build upon any theme and offer great detail for customization. Attached you will find my current definition. I'm sure it can be tweaked/optimized much further, but it fits my needs so far quite well.

Downloads
NP++_XYS.zip
Install
You should close any running Notepad++ instance before going ahead.

Unzip, and
1. Either put UserDefineLang.xml simply into the $Notepad++_home folder, or if you already have created some own language definitions just copy the XY section over into the existing UserDefineLang.xml.
Note: I left in two further definitions for Batch and Powershell files. Just remove or don't copy them if not needed.

2. Put the theme file myDark.xml into $Notepad++_home\themes

3. Start Notepad++ and load the theme via Settings>Style Configurator, make sure global override for background color is checked.
NP++_StyleConfigurator.png
4. Now the "XYS"-entry should be available in the User section (below the separator) of the Language menu.

Expected Outcome
Notepad++.png
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Filehero
Followed the instructions, downloaded the file, placed the files in the correct folders, doesn't work, downloaded the updated userDefineLang placed the file within the NotePad++ folder, doesn't work either, arghh.

I had this same problem trying to get another program language working in NotePad++.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Felt like showing off Notepad++ again. It's now using Solarized. Really hope to see what UDL3 will be like. He/she seems to be hinting that new version of UDL will coming out some time.
Attachments
2014-12-16 17_01_01-__ARIA-Company_XYplorer_Scripts_TimeSync.xys - Notepad++.png
2014-12-16 17_01_01-__ARIA-Company_XYplorer_Scripts_TimeSync.xys - Notepad++.png (29.77 KiB) Viewed 2460 times

mydarkpassenger

Notepad++ syntax highlighting

Post by mydarkpassenger »

Made modifications to the current Notepad++ syntax highlighting to give it a white background with colors that (I consider) are easy on the eyes. I also put the newer keywords in there and separated them into different colors. For example branching statements like end, return, break, continue have a black font and are underlined and interactive commands text,input,msg,confirm use a green font. File action commands moveto, delete, renameto,rename,etc. have a red font. This is to try and make it easy to see things quicker. Here's a screenshot for those who'd like to see it:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FI74 ... 55/xys.png

[moved]

autocart

Post by autocart »

This link might also be of interest in this context.
It also shows (again) how to install the syntax highlighting files.

User Defined Language Files / How to install user defined language files (links to the notepad++ wiki)

In my case it is like it was reported that "creating the XML file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++ on 64-bit Windows 7 didn’t add the syntax highlighting to notepad++. I had to move the XML file to <user>\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++ for it to work."

Regards

darekkay

Post by darekkay »

In case someone wants to use the syntax highlighting on a white background, here it is:
lang_xyplorer.zip
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
lang_xyplorer_screenshot.png
lang_xyplorer_screenshot.png (59.49 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
It's based on the "XYplorer_UDL_2nd_Test" file by Enternal, so it shares some common issues.

I've also published it on GitHub, along other Notepad++ syntax highlighters.