SimpleUpdater — Rev. 10.69 / 2016/06/19

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
Marco

Re: SimpleUpdater — Rev. 10.66 / 2013/04/24

Post by Marco »

Thank you highend, totally forgot that switch! (well, I was also half sleeping tho lol)
Now it stays open and whatever error message the console gives will be visible.
DEBUG.xys
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
You could also try this: in XY AB simply type this

Code: Select all

!cscript
What appears?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

highend wrote:just replace "cmd /c" with "cmd /k".

The window should stay open.

Content?
Aha. Thanks.

Input Error: There is no script engine for file extension ".vbs".
That would explain a few things. :)

I know cscript.exe is present, so does that mean that something else is missing?
-- bests, Tim

...This space unintentionally left blank.

Marco

Post by Marco »

...does that mean that something else is missing?
Nope :)
It likely means that I'm looking for it in the wrong place. Can you please search for it and tell me where it is located on your system? I thought I solved that problem looong ago...
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Marco wrote: It likely means that I'm looking for it in the wrong place. Can you please search for it and tell me where it is located on your system?
There's a copy in \windows\system32, and three more copies (same filesize, not all the same date) in various complicated folders off \windows\winsxs. (My netbook isn't currently connected to the network as I'm at work and we don't do BYOD so if you want those foldernames too it'll take a bit more messing around...)

My first thought was that system32 had fallen off the path, but it doesn't seem to have done... for one thing, I can type cscript at the C prompt in my home folder and get a response. (The usage stuff.) If it helps, the WSH version reported is 5.8.

So I don't understand why you wouldn't be finding it...
-- bests, Tim

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Marco wrote: You could also try this: in XY AB simply type this

!cscript
What appears?
That's so much easier than hitting the start button and typing cmd -- I have absolutely no idea why I hadn't picked that route at the command prompt up before!

I can confirm that it produces the output I previously referred to, anyway.
-- bests, Tim

Marco

Post by Marco »

And what about

text %systemroot%;
in XY AB?

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Marco wrote:And what about

text %systemroot%;
in XY AB?
C:\windows

This is mystifying.

I'm going to update to 14.00 manually, on the netbook. (In the background, I've tried the simpleupdater script on two other machines -- on a portable XY install and a full install -- and it's worked first time.)
-- bests, Tim

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Marco wrote:And what about

text %systemroot%;
in XY AB?
Further to this, I modified the script to fully qualify the path to cscript.exe, just in case something was going on with environment variable expansion and it still fails in the same way.

The only thing remaining I can think of -- despite the fact that everything appears to be where it should be and all the required components appear to be present -- is that there's something relating to the fact that the netbook is Win7 Starter Edition rather than a more, er, grownup version. Nothing I can find online suggests that Windows scripting is in any way inhibited in Win7SE but I've run the script in XP, Win7 Pro 64-bit, and Win8.1 and no other system fails to work as expected.

So unless you can think of anything else I can try, I'm going to give up and go back to updating XYP the old-fashioned manual way -- by opening the zipfile in PowerArchiver, exiting XYP, extracting to XY's home and reloading it.

It's just so much less elegant. :(

Thanks for trying to help, anyway.
-- bests, Tim

Marco

Post by Marco »

7 Starter, uh? Maybe this fix works? http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/error ... vbs-files/

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Marco wrote:7 Starter, uh? Maybe this fix works? http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/error ... vbs-files/
Thanks -- looked promising.

Sadly, it hasn't made any difference. :roll:

Don't worry -- it's not as if I can't do XY updates without it. :)
-- bests, Tim

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Shooting in the dark: does it work with wscript.exe?
say, by replacing:

cmd /c $vbs_interpreter //nologo "$http_checker_path" "$download_url" "$last_modified" "$http_response_path"
with

wscript "$http_checker_path" "$download_url" "$last_modified" "$http_response_path"
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

SammaySarkar wrote:Shooting in the dark: does it work with wscript.exe?
Can't say for sure, but I've done the replacement and run the script and it doesn't produce any errors. However, I'm not looking for beta versions so the only thing that happens is XY puts up its "already up to date" message.

That's a definite improvement, though. :)

(Full disclosure: I had given up and deleted everything so in order to run this test I first had to reinstall SimpleUpdater. Having done that, I first ensured that I'd set the config as before AND verified that it still didn't work, before amending the script with your alternative suggestion.)

So what are the disadvantages of this approach? Or is it just an illustration of the "there's more than one way to do almost anything in Windows" adage? (Or -- more worryingly -- will it just fail later on, if there's an update to perform?)
-- bests, Tim

Marco

Post by Marco »

So what are the disadvantages of this approach? Or is it just an illustration of the "there's more than one way to do almost anything in Windows" adage? (Or -- more worryingly -- will it just fail later on, if there's an update to perform?)
wscript is the "graphical" interpreter of vbs files, while cscript is the command line one. There should be no disadvantage, but I originally put cscript because I know its command line arguments better. I really can't explain why wscript works and cscript doesn't, nevertheless I would not worry and, most of all, I'd thank SammaySarkar once again for his help :)

oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Marco wrote:most of all, I'd thank SammaySarkar once again for his help :)
I would certainly wish to do that very thing, and I'm sorry I omitted to do so!

In fact, thanks to all involved -- I recognise and appreciate that nobody gets anything more concrete than thanks out of all the work they put in and I'm sorry for the fact that I undoubtedly frequently forget to say thanks to the people who do stuff for me out of the goodness of their hearts!

:oops: :biggrin:
-- bests, Tim

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

No big deal, the fact that I could help is all I needed :D

I have no idea why cscript didn't work, but now that wscript is working, it shouldn't just stop and go join cscript.exe :kidding:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]