MyTabsets tabset manager

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
Borut

MyTabsets tabset manager

Post by Borut »

For the current version of this script, see towards the end of this thread!

Hi!

Well, here is another one, which I am using probably for a year now. In my work flow it is quite stable, but some glitches are definitely possible. There are probably tons of unneeded code in it - as soon as I was content I commented out what I did not need. It is not probable that I am going to support it for others - feel free to use and adapt it yourself.

Intended use:

Easily load or save tabs into/from the active pane. It will mostly be useful for single pane users, like myself.

Some properties:

* It is built up around the concept of "tabsets base folder". If this folder is on C:\... and has the same name on your office machine and your home machine, while you are using XY from the USB, then you will never carry your tabset definitions with you and you will see your office tabsets in your office and your home tabsets at home.
* Tabsets are shown in alphabetic order.
* Just one down-select-up LEFT click necessary for loading a tabset.
* Right click for settings and maintenance.
* The same tabset can not be loaded in both panes concurrently.

Installation:

1. Copy the file MyTabsets.xys into XYplorer scripts folder: <xyscripts>
2. Set up your User button. My settings are:
Name: MyTabsets
Icon: :tabsets
On click: load "MyTabsets.xys", "open";
On right click: load "MyTabsets.xys", "park;saveas;-;reopen;open;-;showbase;gotobase;resetbase;setbase;setbaseportable;-;editscript;openini";
Fire click on mouse down: checked

BTW, I am using the following template for the title bar:
<tabset1><><tabset2>--<path> (<app> <ver>)

So that's it. Maybe someone finds it useful.
Attachments
MyTabsets.xys
(5.39 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Last edited by Borut on 21 Feb 2018 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Stef123

Re: MyTabsets tabset manager

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks for sharing, Borut

This is actually different (and better) from what I had expected when you mentioned your workflow (in Wishes > Dual Locations). I won't be using it myself, but I see real virtue in your approach for other users. So here comes my question: Would you mind if your solution were applied in a corporate environment? In other words, if someone else makes money on exploiting the solution you came up with?

Borut

Post by Borut »

Oh, I haven't noticed this question until now. Probably way too late.

This script is completely free to use and adapt in any environment, but excluding these: "nuclear facilities, life support, or other mission critical application where human life or property may be at stake." :mrgreen: The usual things apply, like... The user is completely responsible for everything and I am not to blame for anything, blah blah... :cup:
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Borut

Post by Borut »

In case I am not the only one using this script, here is the current version of it...
MyTabsets_20180221.zip
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
To install it, decompress the zip file and then proceed as follows:

Code: Select all

// ** Intended users:
//  * People using one pane at a time, who have many "projects", each of which needs many concurrently opened tabs.
//
// ** Usage prerequisites:
//  * XYplorer version should support scripting (i.e. you need the PRO version, see https://www.xyplorer.com/product.php)
//  * XYplorer version should be at least v18.70.0100 (2018-02-04), due to Compound Assignment Operators being used
//  * The following option should be checked: Configuration / Refresh,Icons,History / Remember permanent variables
//
// ** To install as a Custom Toolbar Button (CTB):
// 1) Start XYplorer.
// 2) Type <xyscripts> in the address bar. Hit enter.
// 3) Save this file into current directory shown at that time.
// 4) Type ::snippet in the address bar. Hit enter.
// 5) Paste the below lines (only those between /* and */) into the input area. Click OK.
// 6) A new custom button should appear in the toolbar. Try right clicking it (for saving a tabset and setting options) and left clicking (for loading a tabset).
// 7) Remember: When saving a tabset under the existing name, the overwrite follows immediately with no questions will be asked!
/*
Snip: CTB 1
  XYplorer 18.70.0101, 2018-02-21 05:17:06
Action
  NewUserButton
Name
  MyTabsets
Icon
  :tabsets
ScriptL
  load "MyTabsets.xys", "open";
ScriptR
  load "MyTabsets.xys", "park;saveas;-;reopen;open;-;showbase;gotobase;resetbase;setbase;-;editscript;openini;showsig";
FireClick
*/
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Lusayalumino

Post by Lusayalumino »

This is great; thanks for sharing. I would love to have this and LayCatTools combined into one amazing tool! www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11898
XYPlorer, Great Form -- Awesome Function

Borut

Post by Borut »

I am not using the Laycat.xys, but I meanwhile installed it and looked a bit into it.

Question:

In what way do you think that the two should be combined - should a "project layout" silently be created/saved with every "project" (=tabset) save and loaded with every "project" load?

Also, are column layouts and catalogs of importance in such a context (I have no experience with these)?
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Lusayalumino

Post by Lusayalumino »

Borut wrote: 02 Oct 2019 12:29 I am not using the Laycat.xys, but I meanwhile installed it and looked a bit into it.

Question:

In what way do you think that the two should be combined - should a "project layout" silently be created/saved with every "project" (=tabset) save and loaded with every "project" load?

Also, are column layouts and catalogs of importance in such a context (I have no experience with these)?
For longer processes where I might change a lot of settings (View, Layout, Columns, Tabsets, etc) -- I prefer to just write a Script and attach in a Menu [i.e. popupmenu(" ");]. Then, I just love the idea of having one menu that gives an instant and Dynamic (live access to any new Layouts, Tabsets, etc) view of all these items.

I don't want to write a script for every possible scenario of combinations -- once in a while just need to pic what is built in.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

@borut and @Lusayalumino

Regarding the combination of Layout + Catalog + pane, or "layout environments per pane":
It may not be exactly what you’re after, but Session Manager can already store all this info with a pane (or dual pane but that’s up to you to hide one).

A session contains all the info of both pane, visible or not, but can also store optionally:
 — the full layout (visible pane(s), active pane, visible panels...) —including XYplorer window size and position!
   » simply save the session as a layout session
 — the associated catalog
   » enable in Session Manager main menu > Options > Layouts: Autosave Catalog Association with Layouts
 — the associated toolbar
   » manually associate in Session Manager main menu > Layouts > Save Toolbar with Session Layout…
 — a script to run each time the session is loaded
   » manually associate in Session Manager main menu > Options > Associate Script with Current Session…

Now, each time such a session is loaded, the full package (tabset(s) + layout + catalog (+toolbar, +script)) is restored!

Note, there are several ways to quickly load/switch between sessions, one is to map a keyboard shortcut to the quick load dialog (see Help: Cheat Sheet), so e.g. I press
   "~" then "w" and my "Work" session is loaded;
   "~" then "mo" and the "Movies" session is loaded;
   "~" then just Enter and the previous session is loaded (so "Work").

Lusayalumino

Post by Lusayalumino »

Yeah... I had played around with session manager... an amazing tool! But in the end, it was better for me to just create scripts to the combinations that I needed. But thanks for pointing it out!