Session Manager [v7.00]  —  Bookmark your environments: locations and/or display (tabsets and layout)

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
highend

Re: Session Manager [v6.70]

Post by highend »

And how should a script know which path you've changed to <some new name> (and fix that on its own)?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

autocart

Post by autocart »

I never said that it should fix it "on its own". Other than that I am surprised at your lack of imagination but don't mind specifying the thought further.

(1) It should be easy to check all the saved paths in all the saved sessions (or just the current session? or selected sessions?) to whether or not they are broken.
(2) For each of the broken paths the user can be prompted to specify a new path.
If the feature was very smart, it could suggest similar looking paths or provide the longest section of the original path that is not broken as a base path in the "select new path" dialog.
(3) The actual updating algorithm should be easy enough.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

@autocart

Hi,

TLDR: Sorry that it took me so long to answer.
And I guess this feature will have to wait for "Session Manager AI".🙄

—————————

I had read your suggestion about fixing incorrect paths in sessions, but couldn’t find a way to approach it, so I left it on hold…
   Well, it’s about time I get back in touch at least!

And since it also happens to me from time to time, I gave it one more chance today and tried to approach it with new eyes.
Unfortunately without much more success.

To summarize:
   (1) checking tabs path validity: easy
   (3) updating tabs path: easy
   Now, we’re left with (2): fixing the incorrect paths.

The problem is that the range of reasons for which a path/folder is incorrect is too broad.
   Maybe it was moved and exists elsewhere with the same name (but other folders with a same name may exist); maybe it has been renamed with a prefix (eg date-*); or with a suffix (eg *-TODO); or it has been moved and renamed; or deleted…
   In the end, the number of folders that could match the incorrect one (partially or totally) can be too large, hence probably not so useful. Plus, listing them would be slow (full HDD search).

So, unfortunately, unless there’s some monitoring involved (which would be disproportionate), there can’t be a smart function, not even a smart suggestion.
   Which leaves the manual approach.
   But in this case, still considering the range of reasons why the path could be incorrect, a simple prompt (the Relocate dialog) wouldn’t be very efficient. In most cases, I find it much easier to navigate directly in the problematic tabs themselves.
   So the only thing left to "automate" would be an option to list all sessions with incorrect paths… Not really worth it I guess.

Anyway, don’t feel pushed back: suggestions and wishes are still welcome! 🙂

Flux

FluxTorpedoe

Happy New Year

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi everyone

It’s been a while…
   Yet I’m glad to see that XYplorer—and the forum—are still very active and lively!

So I’d like to take the time to wish you all a
   Happy New Year
   fulfilling as much as can be!
   😊

Well, with special congrats to Don of course, XYplorer keeps getting better and better…
   And thanks to highend for the support brought to my posts and the forum in general.

Regarding Session Manager, I made a small (still internal) update, and realized that… I first released it in 2012!
   So, as a New Year’s gift, expect to see this week…
   drumroll…

~ Session Manager 10 Year Anniversary ~
   😁

Have a nice day 😎

Flux

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey, Session Manager 10 Year Anniversary! Congrats! :beer: :party:

And a Happy 2022!

oblivion

Re: Happy New Year

Post by oblivion »

FluxTorpedoe wrote: 12 Jan 2022 11:50  
   ~ Session Manager 10 Year Anniversary ~
   😁
10 years of awesome. :biggrin:

Happy 2022 and -- to everyone -- keep on being brilliant!
-- bests, Tim

...This space unintentionally left blank.

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Session Manager [v6.80] ¡10 Year Anniversary!

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

#####################
###  Session Manager v6.80  ###
#####################

Hi everyone,

First, I’ll take this opportunity to thank you all for your interest:
   I just realized that this thread has more than 115 000 views! :shock:
   And I would like to express my gratitude :beer: to all of you who provided feedback!

Well then, for its 10th anniversary, here’s a new version of Session Manager:party:

Granted, this release is mainly cosmetic… But in a useful way: all mouse modifiers (default or custom) are now displayed in the menus.
   So it will be easier to remember that (eg. by default) you can Alt+Click on Session Manager button to reset the current session, etc.
   As a bonus, some previously "hidden" functions are now displayed (with their mouse modifier) :
      Options > Switch Between The Last Two Sessions
      Layout Tools > Switch Between Default and Alternate Layouts
   Don’t forget to check the mouse modifiers option to see more or customize them: Options > Edit Mouse Modifiers…

See changelog below for more info.

Have a nice day! 8)
   Flux

———————————————————————————

• DOWNLOADS:   Require XYplorer ≥ 19.90.0106 (previous versions available in Changelog)

› Script:
SessionManager.xys
(187.23 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
› Script in UTF-16 LE: (Special version for foreign languages who encounter "invalid character" issues)
SessionManager-UTF16.zip
(45.68 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
› Languages:
   Don’t forget to come back here to check when language files are updated.
   Installation: Just copy the (extracted) language file (eg. SessionManager.it) in the same folder as to the script itself (SessionManager.xys).
   Note: All the following files work with Session Manager latest version (untranslated strings will just be displayed in English).
 — Čeština by Hogatyv6.50
 — Dansk by Regmosv6.50
 — Italiano by Flora_RMCv6.70
 — Deutsche by Dean36v6.60
 — Português (Brasil) by SkyFrontier – v5.2
 — Français by pseudoz – v4.b1
 — 中文 (Chinese) by Haodeav6.80 - Pending

• REQUIREMENTS:
 — XYplorer >= 19.90.0106

• INSTALLATION » for first-time users:
 — Please refer to first post

• UPDATE » for all users:
 — Overwrite your existing "SessionManager.xys" file with latest version
 — Recommended if updating from < 5.73: Update your layout sessions and default layout (and default toolbar if applicable)
   ☛ Session Manager > "Layout tools" > "Update Default Layout" + "Update Default Toolbar"
   ☛ For each layout session > "Update Session (and Layout)"

• UPDATE » for non-english users:
 — Also download one of the language files and extract it into the same folder as SessionManager.xys (language detection is automatic)

• CHANGELOG – v6.80:
+ Mouse modifiers (default or custom) now displayed in menu and submenus (eg. "Reset to Original Session   Alt")
+ Added menu entry (previously only via external access): Options > Switch Between The Last Two Sessions
+ Added menu entry (previously only via external access): Layout Tools > Switch Between Default and Alternate Layouts
* Mouse modifier Ctrl+Alt+Shift now assigned by default to Switch Between Default and Alternat Layouts (only on new install or mouse modifiers reset)

• CHANGELOG – all versions:
Don’t hesitate to browse the exhaustive changelog (with download links to previous versions) here: • Session Manager Changelog •

• TRANSLATORS:
 — New contributions are more than welcome!
 — please head to the dedicated post on the ML forum for the changelog and latest english language file
Last edited by FluxTorpedoe on 22 Jan 2022 14:51, edited 3 times in total.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Flux,

thanks for the 10 years anniversary update. :-)

TEN YEARS! :party: :tup: :beer:

Haodea

Post by Haodea »

ChineseVersion中文版本.
Attachments
SessionManager.zip
(46.58 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by Haodea on 18 Jan 2022 13:25, edited 3 times in total.

Malarki

Post by Malarki »

Thanks for this great script which I use with a several specific projects. I can switch into and between full setups for those with just a few mouse clicks.

This would be a reasonable built-in for XY. It's directly focused on what XY basically does.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Thanks for the feedback!   :-)

@Haodea
   Welcome to the forum…
   And what a first post you made !
   Thank you for this incredible work! :shock: :appl:
   I’m really glad to see Session Manager now available in Chinese. :)
   I’ll update the posts accordingly (but I’ll PM you first).

Have a nice day,

Flux

lth

Post by lth »

Thanks for this great tool. I almost can't imagine using XYplorer without Session Manager now :kidding:
There are 2 issues that I wish will be improved (or maybe the function is there already but I'm not aware of):
1. The first one is to be able to set Autosave for multiple sessions. Right now I only see the Options->AutoUpdate Single: Set Autosave to current session option, which change current session to Autosave, but remove it from other session.
2. The second one is when I switch to a session, navigate and then Save Session As..., the original session is also updated (to be the same as the new session), regardless of the AutoUpdate and Autosave setting (even if the original session is not Autosave).
My use case is I want to have a few default template sessions that will not auto-save/update when I change sessions while other normal sessions will automatically save/update.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi lth and welcome to the forum!

Also, thanks for the kind words :)

2. That’s a bug indeed! I don’t know when and how it slipped in, but it’s definitely there. Will be fixed in the next version.

1. If I understand correctly, what you’re after could be the current "AutoUpdate All", but with a kind of blacklist of sessions to be excluded ?
   (Which I think would be much more efficient than adding/managing extra AutoSaves to lots of sessions)

lth

Post by lth »

Thank you for your prompt response and I'm really sorry for my negligence :oops:

About the 1st point: yes, that's equivalent to what I had in mind. And come to think of it, your solution would be much better since most of the sessions should be AutoUpdate while only a few should be excluded :D

autocart

Post by autocart »

lth wrote: 07 Mar 2022 09:50And come to think of it, your solution would be much better since most of the sessions should be AutoUpdate while only a few should be excluded :D
I want to second that this would be a great idea!