Session Manager [v7.00]  —  Bookmark your environments: locations and/or display (tabsets and layout)

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
kunkel321

Re: Session Manager [v0.96]

Post by kunkel321 »

Here are a couple icons that are suitable for SM TB buttons...
My original idea was a replication of the stock "Favorites" button with multiple arrows on it

But since you've got those briefcases in there, I thought I'd do a version like so
Which I sortof like better now.

I made icos that contain 16x and 24x, zipped and attached...
Attachments
XYsessionmanicons.zip
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:
Filehero wrote:All is fine now.
... the extra legibility added by you 'star' system,....
I'm afraid I'm not the genuine inventor. ;)

Cheers,
Filehero

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

kunkel321 wrote:Here are a couple icons that are suitable for SM TB buttons...
Beautiful and fantastic icons!

Thanks for creation and sharing. I'm already 'XYstarcased'. :)

Cheers,
Filehero

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Filehero wrote: I'm already 'XYstarcased'. :)
Excellent! :D
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

kunkel321 wrote:Here are a couple icons that are suitable for SM TB buttons...
Neat! :D

It's already on my CTB too!
And as I was editing the first post with the updated Session Manager, I 'starcased' the main screenshot and added a link to your post. :biggrin:

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'

Session Manager updated to v0.97.

Main change:
- Added a "Configuration" entry in the main menu, so that anyone can easily disable the 'Confirmation' dialog for Reset and Update. And... in case there are more things to add! Though I've run out of ideas now. :kidding:
- The "starred" and active session in the list is now written in bold. Looks much better and cleaner!
- And as mentioned in a previous post, I took the opportunity to rewrote the explanations.

See first post for more info.

Have a nice day! 8)
Flux

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:It's already on my CTB too!
And as I was editing the first post with the updated Session Manager, I 'starcased' the main screenshot and added a link to your post. :biggrin:
Awesome! :biggrin:
Of course I do have to point out that, while the icon itself was created from scratch, the images are replications of Don's stock icons... :whistle:

So I re-did the above test, checking <xydata> and <xypane1> for an existing session, as well as a newly created one. They were as expected: C:...\Roaming\XYplorer and C:...\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\§1§_Start_Menus.

A couple more feature ideas:
-If I save a dual-pane session. Then later I have XYp in single-pane mode, then I open the session, SesMan will attempt to engage dual-pane mode (and open the appropriate tabs), but XYp will then immediately close the second pane (thus putting it back in single-pane mode, as it was before I engaged SesMan). If possible, I'd like the second pane to stay open. Did that make sense?
-It might be neat to put a hyperlink in the About dialog that links to this forum thread. You could put a caption like "Check for new version or join forum discussion."
-Personally, I don't often use A&ccelerator Keys, but some folks like them. ... ... Heh! I was going to suggest support for Accel Keys, but then tested and I see that it is apparently already supported--though the Accel Key is not underlined. I supposed this is something that should be tackled by Don though.. 8)

Not really a request, but it occurs to me that the Session Reset button is redundant (?) because you can just click the name of the session again...

The new version looks good. The bold is a good choice. :biggrin:
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Session Manager [v0.97]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Well...
- done, - done, and - done!
Thanks for those interesting ideas: SM's got even more polish now. 8)

Regarding the 'force DualPane when opening', I made it an option.
It wouldn't be practical to save this info (or any layout) for specific sessions, because it would raise a lot of consistency issues: most of the time, you wouldn't want your layout to change, etc.

A side note about the screen 'flashing' when loading or resetting when in SinglePane:
By default the script remembers its state before loading a session: SinglePane or not, and which pane is active. But to load a session, it has to temporarily switch to DualPane (because of a small bug: hidden panes are not loaded/reset correctly). That's it... (but not worth troubling Don now :P ).

About the Reset, yep, it can be seen as a bit redundant, but it's much more obvious than the 'load again', and much faster to use - especially now with the accelerator keys! :wink:

I'll update later, if/when I find something else to tweak... :ugeek:

kunkel321

Re: Session Manager [v0.97]

Post by kunkel321 »

Is there an 098? :biggrin:
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Session Manager [v1.00]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

kunkel321 wrote:Is there an 098?
Well... there's even something much bigger coming... :ugeek: but husssshhhhh! It's still under testing! :biggrin:

So in the meantime I think this last version qualifies as v1.00!
It includes the latest suggested features, plus I rewrote the Delete function to be able to delete several sessions at a time.
(Well, I hope I didn't introduce bugs in doing so!) :whistle:

See first post for full changelog.

Have a nice day! 8)
Flux

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Flux,
FluxTorpedoe wrote:So in the meantime I think this last version qualifies as v1.00!
Cool. :)

Hint on multi-selectable deletion list (inputselect) : Just add a little info to the release notes saying that the current loaded/active session can't be deleted.

Bug 1:
I just have two single-pane sessions. But on each load of either the 2nd pane comes up for some milliseconds resulting in an irritating/annoying flickering. This happens while "Always Activate Dual &Pane on Session Load or Reset" is displayed as OFF by default.

Bug 2:
"Always Activate Dual &Pane on Session Load or Reset" and "Enable Confirmation &Dialog for Reset and Update" don't toggle correctly. Toggling OFF either settings seems to just toggle their submenu visibility. Maybe something more is going wrong ....

Cheers,
Filehero

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi Filehero,
Thanks for the follow-up! :)
Filehero wrote:Hint on multi-selectable deletion list (inputselect) : Just add a little info to the release notes saying that the current loaded/active session can't be deleted.
Well, that's sensible! Done. Come to think of it, I might have to find a way [edit: i.e. a clear header] to make this more obvious directly in the script...
Filehero wrote:Bug 1:I just have two single-pane sessions. But on each load of either the 2nd pane comes up for some milliseconds resulting in an irritating/annoying flickering.
Yep, that's by design but quite bothersome indeed...
Unfortunately, this behavior is currently necessary because of a real (minor) bug - that nobody had a reason to notice before I guess. I filed it: here. Maybe you can add your voice to mine... 8)
(Especially since it will be even more noticeable with SM2... :twisted: )
Filehero wrote:Bug 2:"Always Activate Dual &Pane on Session Load or Reset" and "Enable Confirmation &Dialog for Reset and Update" don't toggle correctly. Toggling OFF either settings seems to just toggle their submenu visibility. Maybe something more is going wrong ....
Hmmm... Can't repro here, and I've no idea how that's possible, i.e. how their "setting visibility" can work but not their function.
Do the "..." after Reset and Update correctly switch between visible and invisible?
- By default "Enable Confirmation..." should be ON, the "..." visible, and the confirmation dialog poping-up on Reset/Update.
- If Disabled, the "..." should disappear and no confirmation should pop-up - except if you're working with an invalid session (i.e. active tabset(s) have been manually loaded or deleted).
Everything (Confirmation & AlwaysDual) is working here, either with a clean XY (v11.70) and new sessions, or an XY with pre-existing sessions (dating back from before v0.90). Well, I doubt you're working with an outdated XY :wink: but just in case what's your number?

Thanks again for your interest :D
Flux
Last edited by FluxTorpedoe on 20 Oct 2012 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Flux,

just a quick thanks for replying. I'll investigate further once I find enough time for it.

Cheers,
Filehero

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Very cool!

I am also seeing an odd thing with the Configuration popup... If both options (enable dialog & force dual) are unchecked, both items will be shown in the list. If either one item is checked, everything is oaky. But if both items are checked then the second item (force dual) is hidden. The feature does seem to still work though, even if the item is not shown in the popup. It works well by the way--thanks for adding it! :biggrin:

I'm not sure if this is possible with xys, but given that the Config popup is essentially a submenu, it might be intuitive for the main popup to stay open whenever the Config popup is showing.

Another thought is that it might be good to put the version number of the currently installed SesMan. Logically this would go with the link to the forum.... Is it possible to have a row under the forum link that is not clickable, but has in parentheses, "(Installed version is: 1.00)"? Also, I wonder if it might confuse people to have "Session Manager Homepage." Somebody might expect there to be a http://www.sessionmanager.com.. :veryconfused: I dunno' I guess that designating the forum thread as a homepage is kindof fun too though... 8)

All in all it looks pretty awesome! Can't wait to see what you have planned for v2 :wink:
Any chance for a teaser screenshot? :whistle:
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi' there,

I tried hard but still can't reproduce nor understand how there can be these 2 bugs with the Settings... :veryconfused:
Well, except if the script was read a little too fast, but I doubt that's possible (dumb coding is much more probable :mrgreen: ).

Anyway, I tried something, so here's an updated version. While working on v2 (backwards compatible btw), I discovered an unrelated hidden bug so I fixed it too, rewrote part of the delete management, and part of the display of the main menu (lines are now grayed-out when they can't be used). So all of this is included, plus the version number before the megalomaniac "Homepage". :kidding:
So here's an unofficial v1.02:
SessionManager.xys
(20.82 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
kunkel321 wrote:I'm not sure if this is possible with xys, but given that the Config popup is essentially a submenu, it might be intuitive for the main popup to stay open whenever the Config popup is showing.
Unfortunately AFAIK it's not possible (yet... :whistle: ). But I guess I read about this a while ago (can't find it now), so I think it's on the roadmap/wishlist but probably with a low priority.
kunkel321 wrote:All in all it looks pretty awesome! Can't wait to see what you have planned for v2. Any chance for a teaser screenshot?
Hek hek hek... Hmmm okay, after these bugs are fixed! :twisted:

Have a nice day! 8)
Flux