Session Manager [v7.00]  —  Bookmark your environments: locations and/or display (tabsets and layout)

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
FluxTorpedoe

Re: Session Manager [v0.95]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

@kunkel321
FluxTorpedoe wrote:@klownboy
I loaded your latest posted version 0.93 and received the XY message "No session found to load".
Dang! A remnant of the original design, thanks for pointing this out. Fixed in v0.95.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

@all
I checked in the Panes sub folder and saw how the two panes were saved and also noticed that my pre-existing panes were still there in tack.
Yes, I took precautions to ensure that standard-tabsets and session-tabsets could coexist, and that you could manually load both if needs be without screwing the Session Manager. I'm even thinking of putting the session-tabsets in their own Session subfolder...
However (...) I noticed that all the icon for my tabs were a exclamation point triangle!!!! (...) I don't know if this is because the script didn't save the configuration properly or I didn't "save all" at some point?
Well, I guess I should stress even more specifically how this script works. :)
As mentioned, a "Session" is a set of two tabsets saved under a similar name. i.e. All the 'real' work behind the scenes about what's happening in your panes is done by the tabsets. So loading a session IS exactly the same as manually loading two tabsets, and saving a session IS exactly the same as manually saving two tabsets (with the same name preceded by §1§_ and §2§_).
:arrow: This means that what's remembered or not between sessions is exactly what's remembered or not between tabsets. Thus what may or may not be recalled "between sessions" means in fact "between two tabsets", and depends on your general settings.
I hope this clarifies things, though don't hesitate to ask if anything comes up. :wink:
when saving the current session (with the same name), is it best to use "session - update..." as oppose to "save session..."
Well I shoulda seen it coming, I built too much smartness in this tiny script :P .
Obviously "Save session..." is meant to save a (new) session, i.e. the current set of tabsets (whether it's already a session or not). That's why the Name Field is blank, so you can enter a new name. BUT if you decide to manually reenter the full name of your current session, it detects that it's already active and opens the "Update" confirmation window - thus, does exactly the same as if you'd clicked "Update".
Maybe I could rename it to "Save session as..."?
This would make things clearer, so for the second option in the menu, I'd rather keep "Update" because that's... what id does :biggrin: , it feels less threatening than "Save", and shorter than "Redefine Current".

BTW, there's the same approach with "Load": in the main menu if you click on your "starred" active session, it's the same as clicking "Reset" (it reverts the session to its original state).
Note: In all cases, the status bar indicates you exactly what happened.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

My Bad!
So I put 095 in my XYtemp data folder... The main Session Manager window did show as expected.
Again though, I'm not seeing newly created Sessions.
Clicking "About current Tabsets" yields the following. (whitespace removed)
---------------------------
XYplorer
You're currently using session:
Prog_Files_and_Docs
§2§_scripts
Do you want to open the tabsets folder (in a new tab)?
OK Cancel

Unfortunately, restarting XYplorer didn't seem to help this time.....
I clicked "Session - Reset" and it did reset my Prog_Files_and_Docs session, even though it doesn't show up on the list.

It could be my wacky setup...

A possibly-related question: Should the saved tabset info be showing up in the main directory? See img

"MyTempTabset" was created manually by me (not by SesMan), so Don must've put it there. :wink:
But "Data" folder contains "Panes" which contains the "MyTempTabset" as well as the one that SesMan created:
C:\Program Files\XYtemp\Data\Panes\§2§_Prog_Files_and_Docs

EDIT: Just saw your most resent post... Will try the latest version and post again later, or tomorrow...
Thanks for your work on this, Flux!
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Wowww !!! I'm still trying to digest... :ugeek:
How you managed to get to that is beyond me! :biggrin:

The fact that SessionManager sees "§2§_scripts" as an 'orphan' means that it's probably looking in the right directory (Data\Panes), since it doesn't see its twin "§1§_scripts" that you somehow managed to move up twice AND rename to "myTempTabset§1§_scripts"!?...
But at the same time I'm realizing that your XYplorer folder doesn't look the way it should: there's no xycopy.exe next to Xyplorer.exe?
I guess it's safe to assume that your whole XYplorer session is, hum, pretty messed up!? :kidding:
Maybe you "Data\XYplorer.ini" got corrupted, or you played with your folders a bit too much... :wink:

Anyway, I'll still make some tests and get back to you...

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

@kunkel321

OK, my suspicions are confirmed.

The only case when you can have the "About" saying:
- "You're currently using session: 'MYSESSION' "
while at the same time saying:
- "The following tabset is an orphan: '§#§_MYSESSION' "

is when:
1. you are using session 'MYSESSION'
2. you have opened the tabsets folder, manually moved or deleted one of the folders '§#§_MYSESSION' - and not restarted XYplorer.

:arrow: You only have to close and reopen XYplorer to have your 'MYSESSION' valid and working again.

(FWIW, the way things look, it's not the only thing you had moved or deleted, so you might be better starting with a clean XYplorer.)

Congrats anyway, I guess you're a winner, I didn't see this one coming! :lol:
But don't hesitate if you have any other questions! 8)

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:Congrats anyway, I guess you're a winner, I didn't see this one coming! :lol:
But don't hesitate if you have any other questions! 8)
I make a good beta tester because I'm uniquely able to break software. The challenge is to break it, then RE-break it in a reproducible way :wink:

Here's another interesting thing... Another copy of this folder showed up here:
C:\§1§_Prog_Files_and_Docs
No joke... I just looked in the tree and there is was.

I'm gonna get rid of my XYtemp setup and reintall my main one. Then I'll start over and see about re-breaking this thing. :P
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

kunkel321 wrote:Here's another interesting thing... Another copy of this folder showed up here:
C:\§1§_Prog_Files_and_Docs
No joke... I just looked in the tree and there is was.
Well, you can also tag this one: "Kunkel was there"! :biggrin:
It looks like you've played with your trackball or tested other scripts (like "Move to a random folder"). :lol:

Because SessionManager doesn't have the resources to move things: it doesn't use any moveto/copyto/backupto, and there's only 1 (tabset)SaveAs which writes to the default Panes folder.

Anyway, thanks for testing, It's really appreciated! :D

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Session Manager [v0.96]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'

Session Manager updated to v0.96.

Main change:
- Added the ability to reset or update a session without a confirmation dialog: the "star" is already telling which session is in use, so if you feel adventurous go ahead! :biggrin:
On the safe side of things, do note that you'll still ALWAYS have a pop-up message if your session is not valid.

See first post for more info.

Have a nice day! 8)
Flux

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Still seeing some weird stuff...
I totally uninstalled Xyplorer, and also removed the extra "XYtemp" that I had created. I got to thinking afterward that I hadn't set either of them to operate as portable, so maybe that was part of my problem...

Anyway, I have a clean install now and things are working better...

Oddly though, I am again seeing §1§_Prog_Files folders (the name of a Session) where they shouldn't be. In location C:\Users\swkunkel\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\ is the list of all the saved sessions (2 of each, §1§ and §2§), as expected, but in addition, copies of §1§_Prog_Files (but none of my other sessions) also show up at in Program Files/XYplorer!

I checked the dates of the INI files inside, and the extra copies showed up about an hour after the ones in Appdata. Another difference is that the appdata ones are
C:\Users\swkunkel\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\§1§_Prog_Files\pane.ini
C:\Users\swkunkel\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\§2§_Prog_Files\pane.ini
But the extra copies are
C:\Program Files\XYplorer\§1§_Prog_Files\t\pane.ini
C:\Program Files\XYplorer\§2§_Prog_Files\t\pane.ini
(note the subfolder "t" )

Any idea what might have happened? I tried to recreate the effect, but couldn't.

=========
Edit: Removed the question about bookmarks...
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hmmm, I admit I'm a bit lost by what you describe! :)

As I said, Session Manager doesn't move/copy/backup anything, and it only saves in one place, based on the default XYplorer folder... Strange! And according to the help file, there shouldn't be any difference between 'installed' and 'portable' - though I don't have a Win7 (even less x64) to test, maybe there's an administrative problem...

Could you open your XYplorer, first load a valid session like your "Prog_Files" (via Session Manager, do not manually open some tabsets), then in the AdressBar, type:
::msg <xydata>;
press Enter and tell me what it says? And do the same with:
::msg <xypane1>;

In 'theory', based on what you said, you should have:
1. C:\Program Files\XYplorer\Data
2. C:\Program Files\XYplorer\Data\Panes\§1§_Prog_Files

Edit:Could you please also tell me the messages for a newly created session? (e.g. Session Manager > "Save session as" > TestSession )

Thanks for testing!
BTW, any other question or idea/request is more than welcome! :)

Flux

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:Could you open your XYplorer, first load a valid session like your "Prog_Files" (via Session Manager, do not manually open some tabsets), then in the AdressBar, type:
::msg <xydata>;
press Enter and tell me what it says?
This yields
C:\Users\swkunkel\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer

Note that there is always a session loaded. (i.e. As soon as a start XYplorer, there is already a session with a star next to it.) If I load Prog_Files, then close XY, then open it again and press Prog_Files again, I get
Script terminated by ESC.
However clicking Prog_Files a second time does re-load it as expected.
===
Argh! I just tried my other sessions and didn't see the error... Then I went back to the Prog_Files session and error is not longer showing up. (not reproducible)
FluxTorpedoe wrote: And do the same with:
::msg <xypane1>;
Yields
C:\Users\swkunkel\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\§1§_Prog_Files

And <xypane2> yields
C:\Users\swkunkel\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\§2§_Prog_Files
FluxTorpedoe wrote:Could you please also tell me the messages for a newly created session? (e.g. Session Manager > "Save session as" > TestSession )
I think everything is as expected in this regard...
The save dialog is
Save & Use session
Enter the name of the tabsets session to save.
This session will be in use after you press OK.
The name has to be a valid filename.
(editable field)

There is no confirmation dialog afterward, but there is a message in the bottom of the XY window, "Session 'blah' saved successfully."
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Flux,

just got around to try your script.

Sorry that I haven't time to read the script code, but I also see a "t"-subfolder. Since the pane.ini saved down there has a newer timestamp (and has a file size 2kb bigger) than the one found in the parent dir §15_Blender_Lux, I guess that's a sort of a temp session save, right?
SessionManager_t_folder.gif
SessionManager_t_folder.gif (7.88 KiB) Viewed 5993 times

Cheers,
Filehero

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi guys,

First, thanks a lot for testing! :)

But straight to the most important:
:arrow: Regarding the "t" subfolders: NO WORRIES - it's 100% normal!
AFAIK, it's XY's (clever) way of dealing with tabsets. While you modify your tabsets without saving them, their new info is stored and updated in these "t" subfolders (yep, we can only guess it's for "temp" :wink: ). As soon as a tabset is saved, everything is automatically moved from there (e.g. "MyTabset\t\*.*") to the tabset folder itself ("MyTabset"), and the "t" subfolder is deleted. And since what I called a "session" is only tabset(s) whose name starts with "§#§_", those are managed by XYplorer exactly the same way.

As a matter of fact, it's obvious but it's XYplorer that does all the real job! :mrgreen:
:arrow: Regarding Session Manager, the important thing in it is "Manager".
As I'd previously mentioned, the ONLY file manipulation is the standard tabset() command, without even a location variable!
FYI, in case it might help, here they are, literally copied from the script.
- For the "Update" process:
tabset("save", , 1); tabset("save", , 2);
- For the "Save" process:
tabset("saveas", "§1§_$session", 1); tabset("saveas", "§2§_$session", 2);

=> Which leaves me with my original interrogation:
Except after a 'manual' move or maybe XY ini corruption, I don't know how sessions (i.e. tabsets) usually stored in this case in "...\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\Panes\", could have also ended up in the root of "C:", or in "C:\Program Files\XYplorer\" - without "Data" nor "Panes".

As a side note, I've used Session Manager for ~9 months now without a single 'weirdness'! Well, it was a bare version without the infos and integrated load, but I haven't changed the tabsets manipulation...

@kunkel
You're definitely a great beta-tester. :D
- All sessions that are not in <xydata> (i.e. not in "C:\Users\swkunkel\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer") are presumably old and irrelevant. Could you please move them all somewhere else, just so there's no confusion if new sessions start to 'teleport'?
- Thanks for all the info you've provided already! But my fault, I wasn't clear about:
Could you please also tell me the messages for a newly created session? (e.g. Session Manager > "Save session as" > TestSession )
I meant could you tell me what are <xydata> and <xypane1> after you've just created such a session?

Hopefully from what you described, I guess things should work just fine with your standard/clean XYplorer, and the misplaced sessions are only remnants of old/corrupted XY tests! :D

Ooops, except maybe for this:
If I load Prog_Files, then close XY, then open it again and press Prog_Files again, I get
Script terminated by ESC.
However clicking Prog_Files a second time does re-load it as expected.
I'm totally unable to reproduce, I loaded a session 10 times in a row as fast as I could, reopen or not... As a matter of fact, in general I'm unable to get a "script terminated by ESC" without pressing ESC. :(

Well, to be continued... :mrgreen:

Have a nice day! 8)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Flux,

thanks for your elaboration - and the script, of course. All is fine now. :D

Cheers,
Filehero

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Filehero wrote:All is fine now.
Glad to hear it! :D
Now with the 'integrated' sessions readily available plus the extra legibility added by you 'star' system, I find myself using this script all the time!
I even fear my 'XYtesting' session's starting to overheat... :biggrin:

BTW, next time I update the first post, I'll have to rewrite the presentation because the script is also useful (and safe) to Single Pane users... I should have pointed this out.

I'll just wait a bit in case there's some last tweaks or feature to add before it goes 'gold'. 8)