OpenUpdater

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
drewkeller

OpenUpdater

Post by drewkeller »

Update 2012-10-19:
+ Added .ini file usage

Update 2012-10-02:
+ Added menu stuff.
+ Added management (removal) of zip files.
+ Added ability to upgrade/revert to a different version that you've downloaded before

2012-09-24:
* First release

----------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone has tried something like this yet, so I thought I would try it... a good number of us in this part of the forum are probably scripters or programmers, so it makes sense to me. Github might have been a good alternative for the script collection that was being hosted externally before (links to it are now dead).

This is my first XY script, so it might not be the most efficient.

----------------------------------------------
Description

The OpenUpdater is a XYplorer script that checks for beta and official releases of XYplorer. If a new version is found, changelogs are displayed for each release between the current version and the newest version. A button is displayed for the newest beta version or official release (or both, if updates for both are available). When you click the button, the zip package is downloaded, XYplorer is closed, the new version is installed, and XYplorer is restarted.

The downloaded packages are kept in the temporary folder until you delete them. OpenUpdater provides a menu that lets you revert or upgrade to any version that you have in the folder. This provides an easy way to test different versions or to go to a version that you know was working. There is also a menu that lets you delete zip files older than a version that you select.

The OpenUpdater script is open for modification and extension by anyone who wishes. The project is hosted on github for convenient forking, merging, change tracking, bug tracking, etc. Please feel free to participate!

Project page:
http://github.com/drewkeller/XYplorer-OpenUpdater
(...more details in the readme on the project page...)

Download zip file:
(from github) http://github.com/drewkeller/XYplorer-O ... all/master
OpenUpdater.zip
(140.88 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Features
Items marked with + indicate features that I believe are unique to the OpenUpdater at the time of writing.

[+] Designed for collaboration
*** Checks for updates of beta versions (from the beta topic in the forum)
*** Checks for updates of official releases (downloads.php and whatsnew.php)
[+] Displays two buttons: one for the latest official release and one for the 
  latest beta release. You can update to either.
*** The update buttons are always in view regardless of where you scroll the 
  changelog list.
[+] Caching: The downloads from the forum page and whatsnew are cached (for up to
  one hour). Always uses the cached whatsnew copy unless the downloads page has 
  a version that isn't shown in the beta page (whatsnew is a large page).
*** Beta logs and release logs are merged, then listed in sequential order by
  version number.
[+] The order of listing can be reversed (ascending/descending by version number)
  by using a configuration option
*** The downloaded zip files are saved (with a specific version number) so you can 
  revert to one you've downloaded before if something isn't working in a new 
  version.
*** You can revert or upgrade to any version zip file that you have in the
  download folder.
*** You can delete all downloaded zip files older than a version that you select.
[+] Comes with a registry file useful for associating .xys files so they can be 
  placed in arbitrary folders on your computer (also comes with a file you can
  place in your XY scripts folder for convenience).

screenshot.png
screenshot.png (74.12 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Last edited by drewkeller on 20 Oct 2012 15:24, edited 2 times in total.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: OpenUpdater

Post by j_c_hallgren »

drewkeller wrote:This is my first XY script, so it might not be the most efficient.
I would hope that you've written it entirely yourself (or only used jacky's code as basis) given what was written in http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 835#p76835 and the important part being:
serendipity wrote:Thanks for those changes but i just asked you for color suggestions, i did not expect you to take my script, change it and post it here. Not cool. I've been working on a version myself and this is kind of bummer to me. I am sorry if I am being rude, but should have asked before posting this.
I added the bold as I think it was quite disrespectful of the third most frequent poster here for you to have done that, ok?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

I used parts of the style that I myself wrote for serendipity, based on jacky's. I don't know how much of my style serendipity used, because I haven't downloaded it since then. I did not use his script as a source. You can browse the code on github and I invite you to.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. It just seemed like there was some collaboration going on in serendipity's project, so I shared.

This might be my first ride on the XY pony, but it's not my first rodeo, programming-wise.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

drewkeller wrote:I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. It just seemed like there was some collaboration going on in serendipity's project, so I shared.
Ok -- I was simply looking out for my long time fellow forum member serendipity who's been very valuable in his contributions here and it seemed based on his reaction that you had stepped on his foot.
This might be my first ride on the XY pony, but it's not my first rodeo, programming-wise.
Understood -- and I don't see any issues with having two different variants of a script available via two authors as long as they respect each others code.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

drewkeller wrote:I used parts of the style that I myself wrote for serendipity, based on jacky's. I don't know how much of my style serendipity used, because I haven't downloaded it since then. I did not use his script as a source. You can browse the code on github and I invite you to.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. It just seemed like there was some collaboration going on in serendipity's project, so I shared.

The fact that you did not respond to my PM and my post on the other post speaks for itself. period. I would like to stop here, but i'll just put it out there.
It doesn't take long to figure out that your code is not original (only parts of html code is yours). Its not like we own those codes or something, just not classy.
And never in this forum has any scripting project been collaborative (I don't know what gave you that idea), its a one person thing and we respect that. Users give feedback to the developer for improvement, they don't take others scripts.
And for the record, i wrote my script for scratch and have not taken anything from your last version you posted on my script post.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

serendipity wrote:And never in this forum has any scripting project been collaborative (I don't know what gave you that idea), its a one person thing and we respect that.
To be honest, I'd like to see us all go this collaborative route. I've pumped out many scripts, and I've left most to die buried and difficult to find in this forum. Partly because the forum is just the wrong platform for sharing and developing scripts.

Embracing GitHub and turning scripts into a true collaborative effort is an extremely desirable movement in my mind. With the added benefit that it increases XY's exposure.

To be clear, I don't condone taking any credit for another's work, but I would very much like to see the scripters of XY move towards GitHub and true collaborating.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

TheQwerty wrote:
serendipity wrote:And never in this forum has any scripting project been collaborative (I don't know what gave you that idea), its a one person thing and we respect that.
To be honest, I'd like to see us all go this collaborative route. I've pumped out many scripts, and I've left most to die buried and difficult to find in this forum. Partly because the forum is just the wrong platform for sharing and developing scripts.

Embracing GitHub and turning scripts into a true collaborative effort is an extremely desirable movement in my mind. With the added benefit that it increases XY's exposure.

To be clear, I don't condone taking any credit for another's work, but I would very much like to see the scripters of XY move towards GitHub and true collaborating.
I am not against collaboration.
In fact, I've already written to Marco about collaboration on my script. I have lost interest in XY updater script myself. So maybe you, Marco or Filehero can help me there.

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

There are a limited number of commands for parsing text. And we are reading the same changelogs from the same webpage. So the parsing functions will look very similar. That being said, I did not use serendipity's nor jacky's nor anyone else's code to come up with my parsing... it is entirely original and written from scratch. Any similarities are accidental.

I never at any point tried to pass my version of serendipity's code off as my own. I respect everyone's code. I don't think we need all this drama. Forum responses often get misconstrued and then lots of extra drama ensues.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

drewkeller wrote:... it is entirely original and written from scratch. Any similarities are accidental.
Again, i dont have to do this but I completely disagree with your comments.
Let's see, you signed up in 2008 and you had all the time to release this "original" updater script.
Last week, I did some research and asking around in other forums about how VBS works etc and came up with the VBS idea to unzip files natively and made the SimpleUpdater script.
You now say your script is from scratch and "Any similarities are accidental"? You got to be kidding me.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

serendipity wrote:Let's see, you signed up in 2008
And have made 28 posts as of this point since then compared with serendipity who's made 2858 posts since May 2007 and 623 posts under his prior id of surrender from Oct 2005 until nick chg...so just based on those stats alone, whom should I believe? I think it's quite obvious! The old-timer who even preceeded me here, of course! :appl:
You now say your script is from scratch and "Any similarities are accidental"? You got to be kidding me.
I've not done a code compare yet but based on the timing of posts here alone, I'm having a hard time believing Drew's code is "from scratch"...sorry.

I don't want this forum to get into a pee match but I think if there is one, I'd suspect Don would be on serendipity's side at the end.

The idea of collaborate code has some advantages but the convention up till now here has been that others may suggest or provide code snippets but it's up to the original script author to incorporate them (if available)...however, I also think we all can safely make new code using jacky's base since it's been months since he's been seen here.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Thanks JC. But I think we should move on with this topic. Its not worth the time.

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

Unzipping with VBS was a great idea, but I didn't copy your code for it. http://www.robvanderwoude.com/vbstech_f ... yHereUNZIP was the source I used.

Jacky's script was great and worked until recently, so there was not much reason to write my own. It is no secret that I liked his updater (I was able to partially revive it, but I found it difficult to maintain the way it's written). Plus, for the past year or more I was using a different Explorer alternative.

I'm not asking for anyone's faith or belief.

I attempted to make some comparison reports using WinMerge between the parsing logic in my code and serendipity's. They are quite a bit different. Overall, my code is mostly based on regexreplace and his is entirely based on gettoken. His does not use regexreplace anywhere in his entire script. I'm not sure how anyone could say our code is similar. Apparently I can't upload html files here, but I'll put the comparison reports on my personal website for a short time.
http://www.drewkeller.com/download/XY/b ... rison.html
http://www.drewkeller.com/download/XY/o ... rison.html

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

Posted some updates.

Added menu stuff.
Added management (removal) of zip files.
Added ability to upgrade/revert to a different version that you've downloaded before

drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

Update:
+ Added .ini file usage