Tag Backup - Rev. 1 / 2012/09/15

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Tag Backup - Rev. 1 / 2012/09/15

Post by j_c_hallgren »

xycooper wrote:How does ADS differ from tag.dat?
My understanding is that ADS is similar to EXIF data for a JPG...it's stored within file but not as part of the actual data.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

Hi,
trying the new script - find some funny looking chars on the first line, but it still works (see screenshot)
But trying to erase the forks
Line: deletefile "$item:$sig.dat";
gets the error:
'deletefile' is not a valid script command.
deletefile D:\TXT\temp-test\Everything-1.2.1.375b.zip:$sig.dat

On the other hand, previous version (yesterday) with just the two choices seems to work fine for me. BTW, I am more interested in moving comments then tags - would that obviate Don's concern about the tag.dat file growing and growing? or are comments stored there as well?
Regards Emil
Attachments
tagscript.png
tagscript.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 5820 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) you need the latest beta for deletefile
2) comments are stored there as well

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

After reading the Wiki I'm glad I went back and re-read Marco's 1st post with instructions.
NTFS Only.
I still have a couple of thumb drives that are FAT formatted. I'd have been wondering why it wasn't working correct trying to copy to one of them. :oops:

xycooper

Post by xycooper »

Don that article was a lot of help thanks.

Marco the new script is great thanks.
XYplorer - Simply the Best!

Marco

Post by Marco »

Kucera wrote:Hi,
trying the new script - find some funny looking chars on the first line, but it still works (see screenshot)
Regards Emil
Looks like the UTF-8 BOM. Don, are there any specs to follow for script files encoding?
kodyman wrote:After reading the Wiki I'm glad I went back and re-read Marco's 1st post with instructions.
NTFS Only.
I still have a couple of thumb drives that are FAT formatted. I'd have been wondering why it wasn't working correct trying to copy to one of them. :oops:
Yuppers, NTFS only. I don't know if formatting those thumbs drive would be a good idea, I read that journaled file systems (like NTFS) are particularly stressing for NAND cells. However a backup drive shouldn't be used very frequently so... don't know. Do your math and weigh pros and cons.
xycooper wrote:Don that article was a lot of help thanks.

Marco the new script is great thanks.
Thank you!
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

Marco wrote: Looks like the UTF-8 BOM.
Must have been. After copying and then saving the script in plain textpad the funny chars are gone.
Admin wrote: need latest beta for deletefile
Ahhha. Thank you both. No more errors now. Still, it would be very nice, as someone else said, if it could be wired into xycopy... I keep forgetting to switch panes for example.
Is there a way to avoid having to reload the script for every step? Before I make me a button for it.. :)

Regards Emil

Marco

Post by Marco »

Kucera wrote:Is there a way to avoid having to reload the script for every step? Before I make me a button for it.. :)

Regards Emil
If you mean avoiding the "stepping through a script" behaviour, you can save it as a Catalog item and run it from there.
If instead you mean that every step requires an explicit call from the user then no, it is designed that way for three reasons:
1. providing a clear way to show which files can be processed, without anything in the background that could rush the user;
2. even if the user would always process all the files found by the first step, merging the subscripts with a #250 command (Select All) could lead to some asynchronous behavior. Undesirable.
3. I don't know how/if it is possible to pause a script to require user interaction (reason 1.) and then returning control to it.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

Marco wrote:[ you can save it as a Catalog item and run it from there.
Sorry to be dense, but how exactly would I do that?
"::run C:\Program Files\XYplorer\Scripts\Tag Backup-1.xys" gives me an overflow...
Regards Emil

Marco

Post by Marco »

When you add a new item in the Catalog, click on "Edit..." in the window that appears and paste there the script.

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

Marco wrote:When you add a new item in the Catalog, click on "Edit..." in the window that appears and paste there the script.
Thanks very much. Works like charm.
More questions: What does "Delete forks" accomplish? and should it be done right after the copying - in both source and target directories? Does that take care of Don's concern about tagfile growing too big?
Regards Emil

MrAnalogy

Re: Tag Backup 0.99

Post by MrAnalogy »

I'd LOVE to have this feature.
I think XY would be great for processing photos. BUT I've learned my lesson with photos: I want the tags to follow the photo. I don't want them in some special program.(When I upload or share photos, I want the tags to follow them). Also, if the program every goes away, etc. I don't want the tags to disappear.

I've already bought an XY lifetime license, so it doesn't affect my purchase decision but I think there might be a killer Use Case for XY in photo processing (I can explain how I use it if you like).
Marco wrote:
admin wrote:Well, should I? This thread does not really get much response. I think your idea is totally great, but nobody is watching?
I'll contact two users here who showed interest in the possible development of such a feature and ask them to cooperate...
Software company owner

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MrAnalogy wrote:I'd LOVE to have this feature.
What exactly? A way to copy the tags to ADS?

ARU64

Post by ARU64 »

MrAnalogy wrote:I'd LOVE to have this feature.
I think XY would be great for processing photos. BUT I've learned my lesson with photos: I want the tags to follow the photo. I don't want them in some special program.(When I upload or share photos, I want the tags to follow them). Also, if the program every goes away, etc. I don't want the tags to disappear.

I've already bought an XY lifetime license, so it doesn't affect my purchase decision but I think there might be a killer Use Case for XY in photo processing (I can explain how I use it if you like).
Marco wrote:
admin wrote:Well, should I? This thread does not really get much response. I think your idea is totally great, but nobody is watching?
I'll contact two users here who showed interest in the possible development of such a feature and ask them to cooperate...
I do confirm that the feature to copy tags from or towards windows explorer / XYplorer is an excellent feature! particularly for pictures. I'm using XYplorer at work without the installer when I have complex stuffs to be done on files and I really appreciate the power of this tool!
Good job!