About that last chg re shifting selected to top..

Features wanted...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

About that last chg re shifting selected to top..

Post by j_c_hallgren » 04 Apr 2006 16:35

From Change log:
admin wrote:* Address Bar, Name, Location field: selected items are not automatically shifted to the top position anymore. Since we have auto-complete and list management, this service is just
counterproductive
I haven't installed it yet...but from the log, if this means what I think, this will be a step backward for the way I use XY :( ...because, the only time I resort to actually typing a value in Name/Loc is when the value I want can't be found in the drop-down list, so auto-complete is not as important....as I try to use mouse/touchpad as much as possible!

Given that the item I most recently used is also often one of the next most likely values, having it bubble to top helps...yes, I use LM to clean up the list and delete unused, and to sort it occasionally, but...if I had my wish, I'd have made this behavior user selectable as to yes/no....

I often alternate between 3 or 4 common values for Name, and having them float to top as I use them from list make it quicker to access, as I don't have to scroll down in most cases.

admin
Site Admin

Re: About that last chg re shifting selected to top..

Post by admin » 04 Apr 2006 22:32

j_c_hallgren wrote:...if I had my wish, I'd have made this behavior user selectable as to yes/no...
If you manage to find a checkbox caption for this that a newbie immediately understands, ok. :)

PS: the bubbling up always worked only on <enter>-selecting an item, never on mouse-selecting. So now behavior is more consistent. :wink:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren » 05 Apr 2006 00:19

FYI:Right now I'm = 4.50.0066

I just now selected (via mouse using down-arrow Name drop-down) the last entry in list..did the find ...now that entry is at TOP of list, and when i pick another entry and complete a search, it's put at top, so the bubble-up certainly appears to be presently active on mouse selection....that's why I was concerned about this change.

Regarding caption: I'll have to think about that...and having a few extra words in Help would also assist in this option.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 05 Apr 2006 08:26

j_c_hallgren wrote:I just now selected (via mouse using down-arrow Name drop-down) the last entry in list..did the find ...now that entry is at TOP of list, and when i pick another entry and complete a search, it's put at top, so the bubble-up certainly appears to be presently active on mouse selection....that's why I was concerned about this change.
Yep, you're right, sorry. I was only checking and referring to the Address Bar.

BTW, I rechecked IE's Address Bar, and it certainly does Bubble Up (or whatever it's called). So in my never-ending endeavor to meet user expectations, I'm inclined to go back to the 4.50.0066 state. And add Address Bar mouse selection to it!
But a checkbox won't harm -- if you find the words...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren » 05 Apr 2006 08:39

About text for an option...if we have a single on/off square box, then text needs to be different than if we have (title)/opt 1/opt 2 style round buttons which allow a bit more clarity in this case...

My first thought is "Last used to top" or similar...

As said before, having a full sentence in Help file will clarify it also...so text at switch can be a tiny bit more cryptic...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 05 Apr 2006 08:44

Yes, single on/off square box.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren » 05 Apr 2006 09:13

How about "Last used to top of pull-down lists" (or maybe w/o pull-down?) or whatever is the technically correct term for those lists..

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 05 Apr 2006 09:27

j_c_hallgren wrote:How about "Last used to top of pull-down lists" (or maybe w/o pull-down?) or whatever is the technically correct term for those lists..
Other english-speaker opinions out there? BTW, it does not concern all pull-downs in the app, just AB, Name, Location.

So one could do a label and 2 boxes:
Address Bar, Name field, Location field:
x Auto-complete
x Shift last used item to top

?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren » 05 Apr 2006 09:38

Your text is better than mine.....I LIKE it! 8) :D
If you need a bit shorter text, I think using "Addr" instead would be ok...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf » 05 Apr 2006 11:15

Move rather than Shift, I think of shift as a key.

P.S.
I'm busy in the garden at the moment so don't have much time for the computer, hence the lack of response to the forum.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren » 05 Apr 2006 16:55

THANKS much for that option! Some of like vanilla and some like chocolate, so now we can pick our flavor! :D :D