QuickGoto

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
jacky
XYwiki Master

Re: QuickGoto

Post by jacky »

Pagat wrote:
admin wrote:BTW, nicknames/aliases: which would be the better term in your opinion?
Since i'm an Opera user and this feature is called "nickname" in the Opera-World, i'm more used to that term. That's also the reason why i called it that way in my script.

I'd also say that "nickname" is clearer for "beginners" than "alias" but i might be biased...
Well, to me alias sounds clearer, but then again that's how I've know this from Maxthon, and even before that. But isn't Alias used more often? At least AFAIC I've also used that term on Apache for instance, or Linux, I've also seen it in "email aliases"...

To me, a nickname is just another (usually shorter) name you give to something or, most of the times, someone. Like a nick on IRC or something, while an alias means a shorter name to access/trigger something, like launch an app, open a document, an URL, a folder, etc
But then again, I think I've always used that term so that can be why it's so obvious to me...

(PS: on FF they call it "keyword", not that I like that option any better...)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

While I prefer alias too since its shorter, newbies might not be all so familiar with it. But most of us are familiar with the word "nickname", so my vote for nickname.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

serendipity wrote:While I prefer alias too since its shorter, newbies might not be all so familiar with it.
Can I just ask why some of you seem to think newbies wouldn't be familiar with the term alias ? It's a very common term also, even outside of the computer world, isn't it? When people use a fake name, it's often said they use an alias, you hear that in movies, TV shows, Hell one of them was even called Alias! ;)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

jacky wrote:
serendipity wrote:While I prefer alias too since its shorter, newbies might not be all so familiar with it.
Can I just ask why some of you seem to think newbies wouldn't be familiar with the term alias ? It's a very common term also, even outside of the computer world, isn't it? When people use a fake name, it's often said they use an alias, you hear that in movies, TV shows, Hell one of them was even called Alias! ;)
Hmmm don't know, just thought so. Well atleast when I was like 16-yrs old I knew nickname (from school usage) but not alias. But then its me. All I am trying to say is nickname is more common than alias. But like I said I have nothing against alias. And I noticed in several webpages the usage "alias/nicknames". So maybe both are good too.

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

jacky wrote:... TV shows, Hell one of them was even called Alias! ;)
and that was one of my favorite shows back then ;)

For me it's just a feeling that nickname is more user friendly. But as i said, that's probably because i got used to it from Opera.

I'm already curious which term Don will choose when that feature gets implemented :)

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Isn't there are difference?
I'd say Cassius Clay and Muhammad Ali are alias names, while "The Greatest" is something like a nick, isn't it?

So maybe 2 names for a command, maybe for historical reasons, are aliases. While a private, possibly shorter name is something like a nick?

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

i once again updated the script in the first post of this thread and included the following feature: Often you have files that have similiar names, like:

Report 2008-10.xls
Report 2008-09.xls
Report 2008-08.xls
Report 2008-07.xls

In that case it would be a waste of nicknames to define one for each file. Therefore it's now possible to use custom "variables" inside a target. Quote from the "help":
You can also use variables inside a target. A variable has to be surrounded by a forward slash (/) to be recognized. E.g. you can define the following 'open' nickname:

report=C:\Reports\Report 2008-/Month/.xls

If you now use the nickname 'report' you will be prompted to input a value for 'Month'. This value will replace '/Month/' in the target, resulting in 'C:\Reports\Report 2008-10.xls' for example. Therefore you can define one nickname for similiar targets.
I also changed some getkey/setkey commands to global variables therefore at least v7.70.0010 must be used for the script.

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

I added a feature for 'open' nicknames: You can force an 'openwith' command by separating executable and parameter by a comma. E.g.:

Code: Select all

[Open]
note=notepad, <xydata>\XYplorer.ini
will open XYplorers INI file in notepad.

And one more huge improvement: Since i use the script on different workstations i needed to take care to have the latest version of it on each PC. Ever since jacky presented his common-jacky library i wanted to use XYAU for this task. Finally i figured out how common-jacky is working and i incorporated the changelog and the update feature into QuickGoTo! The following two options were added to the menu:

Install QuickGoTo support in XYplorer Automatic Updater...
Changelog of QuickGoTo

They are working exactly the same as in jackys MiniTree script: "Install QuickGoTo support..." will add QuickGoTo to the list of scripts that can be updated through XYAU. "Changelog..." will do exactly that: Show the changelog of the script.

In the XYAU thread jacky mentioned that he will improve the common-jacky library soon to make more accessible. I honestly can't wait for it :) I guess, currently he is doing a lot of fancy stuff with the new 'html' function... (I also have a lot of ideas for 'html', like an elegant 'settings' dialog or a neat help page...

So here is the download link for QuickGoTo.xys which is also used by XYAU:

http://xy.0x7b.net/scripts/QuickGoTo.xys

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Pagat wrote:And one more huge improvement: Since i use the script on different workstations i needed to take care to have the latest version of it on each PC. Ever since jacky presented his common-jacky library i wanted to use XYAU for this task. Finally i figured out how common-jacky is working and i incorporated the changelog and the update feature into QuickGoTo!
Hey, this is pretty cool. Well done Pagat! :D Cool script you got there, and I'm glad to see XYAU put to good use, hopefully the new version won't break nothing and still work as expected :) I've just posted the new version of CJ and some more about what can be done with it and how to use it. Not sure if it's really more accessible or not, but hopefully it's not too hard either. And I'm still working on some little "library" that would make it much easier to deal with all those URLs, etc
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

Another update from my side. Here's the changelog:

Code: Select all

v0.01.0006 2009.01.09 XY v7.90.0030 CJ v0.01.0002

! Renamed INI section 'Setup' to 'Settings' and key 'NicknameExists' to
            'OnNewNickname'
        + The character for separating executable from parameter ('open' target) and
            script file from label ('load' target) respectively can be changed to any
            character in the settings (defaults to comma (',')
        + The character used to recognize inline variables (default is a slash ('/')
            can be changed to any character in the settings
        + New settings dialog using XYs new 'html' function
        + New Help page using XYs new 'html' function
:arrow: Download QuickGoto.xys (will require XY 7.90.0030)