TeraCopy Integration

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
Enternal

Re: TeraCopy Integration

Post by Enternal »

Lol! Did not expect Code Sector to come into here. Anyway, he had a 50% sale on BitsDuJour which I just found out 15 minutes before it expired. I got it right away. Although I use primarily XYplorer's XYCopy and FastCopy, I had use TeraCopy a lot in the past as well. Thank you for everything and the script!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, I will now implement TeraCopy as a third copy option. The current layout of Configuration | File Operations needs to be adjusted. I need some help with the wording. The section that is currently called Custom Copy Operations will now look like this. Would this work?:

Copy and Move Operations
[ ] Use Windows Default (or Use Shell Copy?)
[ ] Use Custom Copy
    [Configure Button...]
    (Various checkboxes as you see them now)
[ ] Use TeraCopy
    Path to Executable: [...Text Field...]

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Yes that would work!

Instead of using "Use Windows Default" perhaps "Use Windows Shell Copy" might be a bit more clear. Also do we really need that checkbox for Windows Shell Copy? If the other 2 are unchecked, it would be using shell copy anyways right?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, those three a radio buttons (only one can be checked).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, not much feedback here (thanks, Enternal!). I rethought it and revised the logic. Now I think it's better like this. This way you can quickly toggle (via Toolbar) between shell copy and your preferred custom copy.

Copy and Move Operations
( ) Use Use Windows Shell Copy
( ) Use Custom Copy
    (Various checkboxes as you see them now: most of them apply to XYCC and TC)
    ( ) XYplorer Custom Copy
        [Configure Button...]
    ( ) TeraCopy
        Path to Executable: [...Text Field...]

Note: ( ) = "Radio buttons" (only one a group can be selected)

Note that the integration of TeraCopy will be very good, but not 100%. There will be no Undo for TeraCopy operations (because I see no way to be informed whether the TC operation was successful or not or aborted or whatever). Please comment! If that's a no-no, I will skip the whole project.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I might even see that as a blessing in disguise. I often move some files through scripting and they eat up my action log. If the copy engine can be defined via scripting, I would use TeraCopy for such movements.

Edit: On a sidenote, if you are giving TeraCopy a place in XY, codezero can setup something to inform XY about its status

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nerdweed wrote:Edit: On a sidenote, if you are giving TeraCopy a place in XY, codezero can setup something to inform XY about its status
Yep, that could be interesting.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Hm, not much feedback here
Never used TeraCopy - and see no need to change that in the future. :wink:

Cheers,
Filehero

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

nerdweed wrote:I might even see that as a blessing in disguise. I often move some files through scripting and they eat up my action log. If the copy engine can be defined via scripting, I would use TeraCopy for such movements.

Edit: On a sidenote, if you are giving TeraCopy a place in XY, codezero can setup something to inform XY about its status
Yes this. It's not a bad thing at all. If I really do need such logging, I would then just use XYCopy. There are many times that I switch between XYCopy and FastCopy due to this very reason. So TeraCopy working this way is perfectly fine.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

FYI: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-file-copy ... fer-speed/
(a summary table can be found on the page 2)

EDIT: Why did I post that link? Because I don't understand the decision:

Code: Select all

v13.40.0201 - 2013-12-10 20:41
    + TeraCopy Integration: Currently only as three tweaks, soon 
      elevated to GUI.
Why to include third party software support so directly? :shock: Why exactly the TeraCopy? It is a nicely looking, average performance copy software. FastCopy also could have been choosen easily, it has good performance, astonishing command line. Additionally why not to integrate popular Zip softwares too in the same way? Don, I feel it is a weird decision of you, knowing your attitude toward 3rd party stuff...

EDIT2: Sorry for the assumption but probably the coder is your friend :wink:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, TeraCopy is the most popular, there is a TeraCopy script here in the forum that is being developed for several years now, and I get constantly requests to integrate TeraCopy.

Sure, placing it right into the GUI is a bit unusual, I might find a cooler way. Maybe a script command that could also easily be extended to include other copiers...

Marco

Post by Marco »

Don, imho TC is a third party "file-op manager", different from Custom Copy because CC is tied to XY. Therefore I'd use a third radio button for "user custom" file-op manager. See also http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 448#p97448
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

admin wrote:Sure, placing it right into the GUI is a bit unusual, I might find a cooler way. Maybe a script command that could also easily be extended to include other copiers...
Now THIS sounds good hehe. Since I use primarily FastCopy (with TeraCopy once in a while), this would be a great option for those who use different copiers.

TacticVintage

Post by TacticVintage »

Hi

i just found out this script, and it's exactly what i need.
but how to configure the copy command so it will ask confirmation to ignore/replace/rename when in the target folder have the same file/folder.
as of right now it will automatically renamed those filename_2 or folder_2

also is it possible to load txt file to collection, so i don't have to manually copy paste the path in the collection window.
inside the txt file will have the list of folder/file path to be used for copying.

thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't know about this script, but the current beta version supports TeraCopy without scripting. You can use TeraCopy switches to control rename versus overwrite.
TacticVintage wrote:also is it possible to load txt file to collection, so i don't have to manually copy paste the path in the collection window.
inside the txt file will have the list of folder/file path to be used for copying.
Right now I'm thinking about something like this...

You are lucky that you came to the forum right in the moment when I'm working in this area. Very soon you will get what you need... :)