Bitness Column

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
sl23

Re: Bitness Column

Post by sl23 »

So does that mean it CAN'T work at all?

highend

Post by highend »

It was before and everybody who has two eyes to compare changes can fix this...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

sl23

Post by sl23 »

What's your problem? I'm being civil to you but all you can do is keep digging at me! I've apologised for my previous behaviour, yet you seem unable to let it go and just keep taunting me or blatantly taking the piss! Is your life that bad you have to bring others down to your level?

Horst

Post by Horst »

sl23 wrote: 02 Jun 2021 18:59 What's your problem? I'm being civil to you but all you can do is keep digging at me! I've apologised for my previous behaviour, yet you seem unable to let it go and just keep taunting me or blatantly taking the piss! Is your life that bad you have to bring others down to your level?
Why do you ignore your own postings ?
On the beginning you had == to compare things
now you use = which is an assignment.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3235)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

highend

Post by highend »

Even a simple advice to read the crap you're posting and compare it with a working version before: Nope, impossible to accomplish...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Horst wrote: 02 Jun 2021 19:07
sl23 wrote: 02 Jun 2021 18:59 What's your problem? I'm being civil to you but all you can do is keep digging at me! I've apologised for my previous behaviour, yet you seem unable to let it go and just keep taunting me or blatantly taking the piss! Is your life that bad you have to bring others down to your level?
I'm not ignoring anything. The things being posted by highend are not self explanatory! Do you not realise that I know nothing about scripting. Even the terminology. So saying it's not a comparison is no help at all. And just appears to a taunt.

The so called advice being stated, is not advice when it doesn't actually help me understand anything. Forgive me for being sceptical of highend's efforts to help, but look back, gtd apologised, asked kindly for help and had shit back on several occasions. I'm sure anyone would feel the same as I do.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

highend wrote: 02 Jun 2021 18:53 It was before and everybody who has two eyes to compare changes can fix this...
What exactly does this mean then? You're not stating anything helpful and so it appears that you don't want to and are just dangling a carrot.

Sorry if I've got it wrong but you've had a go at me several times and I'm trying to be polite about it.

Any other forum I've been on, I at least get pointer in where to look or what I've done wrong. Stating it's not a comparison is not helpful to me. It makes me think it can't be done.
Last edited by sl23 on 02 Jun 2021 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

notabot

Post by notabot »

I think those pointers are not enough for someone who is willing to learn scripting, but has not much experience (yet).
The "isn't that obvious?" approach is not very helpful here and works even counterproductive (it would annoy me too; suppose I had to do an open heart surgery for the very first time, ask for assistance and someone replies that way ...).
This is one of the cases of "When you know, it's simple; when you don't, it's hard"

From the help file documentation about scripting:

Code: Select all

Comparisons

Comparisons of two values are evaluated in-place. The "comparison" has the general form

"a" operator "b"

where "a" and "b" are string expressions, and "operator" can be one of the following:

==  Equal
   !=  Not Equal
   <   Less than
   >   Greater than
   <=  Less than or Equal to
   >=  Greater than or Equal to

Like  Matches Pattern (case-sensitive)
LikeI  Matches Pattern (case-insensitive)
UnLike  Does not match Pattern (case-sensitive)
UnLikeI Does not match Pattern (case-insensitive)

If the comparison evaluates as True it is set to "1", else it is set to "0".

So, Xyplorer uses '==' for comparisons instead of a single '='

@sl23:
The thing about learning scripting is making mistakes .. lots of mistakes. And reading the documentation on why it is failing. And then try again.
That is a good way to learn (but don't try it on scripts where you delete many files ;) )

My advise is use the msg command (to show output) *a lot* to show on screen the results you are getting. If the output is as expected, you can work from there, so you can take it one step at a time.

I think is a good thing that you make efforts to learn. And with a little bit of support here on the forum, you will be experienced enough in no time. Just keep making mistakes :)

highend

Post by highend »

I at least get pointer in where to look
And the pointer was "comparison". The help file has an entry for it. You didn't read that. You don't read anything, ever. Even after telling you to read it. Always the same "excuse": But the help file is shit and only for advanced programmers. Sure

@notabot
You're taking over from here and read the help file out loud for him? Great!

sl23

Post by sl23 »

@notabot: Thank you for being understanding. You hit the nail on the head with
notabot wrote: 02 Jun 2021 19:39 The "isn't that obvious?" approach is not very helpful here and works even counterproductive (it would annoy me too;
highend knows I have no experience, but...
Anyway, I don't want to continue with the negativity, even if others do.

Thank you for pointing to which points in the help file I need to look through. I imagine the help file is a massively helpful resource, once you know what you're doing. But for those with no knowledge and trying to make sense of it, it's really hard.

For example, I have tried to search many terms used in scripts, but it's painfully slow to load the results and to open the clicked 'tree' location. Even then I can't always find what I need in order to learn. I mean it's probably there, but not where I am expecting to find it.

I've made hundreds of mistakes :) but there comes a time when you need some outside help :tup:

Thanks again for your kindness

sl23

Post by sl23 »

highend wrote: 02 Jun 2021 20:25
I at least get pointer in where to look
And the pointer was "comparison". The help file has an entry for it. You didn't read that. You don't read anything, ever. Even after telling you to read it. Always the same "excuse": But the help file is shit and only for advanced programmers. Sure
Well, maybe if you stated to look in the help file I may have done that, when I got home to my PC so I could physically look it up. But you're assumption that I automatically know what you mean is not understood as help. I am constantly looking at the help file as I have stated MANY, MANY times.

In fact, this response:
It doesn't work because it's NOT a comparison anymore...
Just makes me think it can't be done, so I'm left wondering what you mean. I'm not having a go highend, but can't you see that it's not very helpful?

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Horst wrote: 02 Jun 2021 19:07
Just seen this.

I'm not ignoring anything. I don't have a clue what I'm doing! I'm learning. The reason that changed was due to the code supplied by RalphM, which I thought was right, obviously now I see the problem.

Thank you for showing what was wrong, I literally just changed that before seeing your post and it seems to work now.

notabot

Post by notabot »

highend wrote: 02 Jun 2021 20:25 You're taking over from here and read the help file out loud for him?
Haha, don't know about that ...
I dont visit this forum very often and have yet to write my first Xyplorer script. But I can see that @sl23 is stumbling in the dark at this moment and trips over any hurdle, even the small ones (in the eyes of an experienced person).
I think that shining a bright light here and there will help to grasp the bigger picture and gets him started. So after a couple of times 'reading the help file out loud', that will be no longer be needed and *then* a "check comparisons in the help file" will suffice.

You are a moderator on this forum. And with great power ...
Your current approach might chase current Xyplorer customers away. And even potential new ones that read the forum before deciding to buy. Or not. People just don't want to be treated like that.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thanks again for your assistance and I know highend is all powerful here :P (just kidding) but you are quite wise with your statements.

@highend: I'm trying to learn, and I get it must be frustrating for you to keep pointing newbies in the right direction, I just didn't understand your help was in fact help where you keep 'ribbing' me, I couldn't tell if it was your way of winding me up. Sorry if I got thst wrong, but it can be very difficult to interpret meanings in text at times.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Sorry my mistake, I changed the "==" in my example to a "=" (so much more Excel VBA usage here than XY scripting).
Didn't expect such a heated discussion over it though.
So please correct them and try again.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)