Raw data in a report

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
idheitmann

Raw data in a report

Post by idheitmann »

Hi folks,

I am a complete newb with XY scripting. I need to generate a tab separated text file of a huge number of G-office files distributed throughout a file system. As you probably know these files are actually just text files with different extensions.

I am trying to work with two functions - report() and readfile().

What I want is to get each line to have the full path, file name, date modified, and the contents of the file.

What I have done is create a query that gives me a listing of all the files. Then I manually ran the script report(readfile()), which successfully gave me all the contents -- but I don't know which one is which!

As soon as I start adding in the variables for the different fields, it breaks. As soon as I start putting in quotation marks I think it breaks the readfile() function... I think?

Let me know how I can make this work and I will be very appreciative!

Thanks.

highend

Re: Raw data in a report

Post by highend »

The fastest way to do this is using quicksearch() to find the necessary
files and provide all the required data (if you have a rather recent version of XYplorer!)

and then use readfile in a foreach loop for all files found to append the content to each line

E.g.:

Code: Select all

$paths = "D:\";          // Can be a ;-separated list of drives/paths
    $extensions = "txt;bat"; // A ;-separated list of extensions for g-office

$data = quicksearch("/types=$extensions", $paths, , "sm") . <crlf>;
    // Get only the full path + modified date
    $data = regexreplace($data, "([^|]+)\|([^|]+)\|([^|]+)\|(.*?(?=\r?\n))", "$1|$3");
    // Split the full path into path + file
    $data = regexreplace($data, "(.*)\\([^|]+)\|(.*?(?=\r?\n))", "$1<tab>$2<tab>$3<tab>");

$report = "";
    foreach($item, $data, <crlf>, "e") {
        $file = regexreplace($item, "(.*?)<tab>(.*?)<tab>(.*)", "$1\$2");
        $content = readfile($file);
        $report = $report . $item . $content . <crlf>;
    }
    text $report;
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

idheitmann wrote:What I want is to get each line to have the full path, file name, date modified, and the contents of the file.
So those g-office files have a single line of text?

This script assumes your query displays all found g-office files in the current list.

Code: Select all

$input  = listpane(,, 1);                             // take currently listed items as input (as a |-separated filelist)
  $output = "<xydata>\temp\g-office-report.log";        // generated report is writen to this file
  setting "backgroundfileops", 0; delete 0, 0, $output; // clear any previous generated report
  foreach ($file, $input) {                             // process each file
    $report = report("{Fullpath}<tab>{Name}<tab>{Modified}<tab>" . readfile($file), $file);
    writefile($output, $report, 'a');                   // append report to output
  }
  openwith "notepad",, $output;                         // open output file in notepad
I don't know how many files you have and how large they are on average; there's a good chance the report content will overrun XYplorer's text variable content buffer. So the script writes the report to a text file and at the end opens it in notepad.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

idheitmann

Post by idheitmann »

Awesome, thank you guys, I will let you know how it goes with these.

idheitmann

Post by idheitmann »

Ended up using SammaySarkar's script which worked flawlessly.

For posterity: yes, Google office files on the local drive are just text files with document ID's in them, single line.
I had to do a little bit of post-processing because the files are full of brackets and tags and quotation marks and stuff. A bit of find and replace yielded a text file I could easily import into Excel.

So thanks!