YAUM - Yet Another Update Manager

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
klownboy

Re: YAUM - Yet Another Update Manager

Post by klownboy »

Looking good highend! Only one question: if yaum detects that the program is up to date, which in this case it is updated to 15.70, the yaum screen looks like this below. If I hit the Update now button even though it's up to date, yaum will proceed and re-download XY and update it again.
yaum_Cap.JPG
yaum_Cap.JPG (15.36 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
I'm not sure if you want it to do that or maybe it's due to the fact that the "Current XY version" is 15.70 and the "Latest XT beta version" is 15.70.0000. I'd think you want to say, "you have the latest already" if someone hits the "Update now" button in this situation. Thanks.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

highend

Post by highend »

Ok, v0.5 BETA posted
I'm not sure if you want it to do that
Wasn't on purpose and should be fixed with v0.5
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

I was curious on code logic for unavailable/unreachable server/offline state on update check, so just discovered it's an .exe.

-how YAUM deals with those situations, highend? (xys-based solutions has several flaws here)

-(not tested yet) can the checks be made with 5\10\15\20\30\50 minutes' steps?
...or random?

-can you please add a "download only" mode, which auto-renames the builds plus turning eventual spaces and dots into underlines, user-defined target location?
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

b0.5;
doesn't open after first run+exit unless yaum.ini is removed.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

highend

Post by highend »

v0.6 BETA posted...

PLEASE DELETE YOUR YAUM.ini FILE before you use it!
how YAUM deals with those situations
Should handle them gracefully with beta 6
can the checks be made with 5\10\15\20\30\50 minutes' steps?
Beta 6 as well
can you please add a "download only" mode
Nope. It's an updater, not a mass downloader for update files that aren't used
Here in the forum is a post which allows users to get their hands on every old version
Quite possible. I've changed some stuff regarding background mode

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hey again highend, I noticed with 0.6 beta and the previous one that when you check or uncheck options in settings, the entire dialog box refreshes (i.e., it actually flashes off and redisplays). Not a huge deal but a bit annoying. Thanks.

highend

Post by highend »

I noticed with 0.6 beta and the previous one that when you check or uncheck options in settings, the entire dialog box refreshes
Not on my system :ugeek:

I've made a few changes. Will probably better with 0.7 beta (when that get's posted)...

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Clarification or further info on my last post: the redrawing of the dialog is only happening on the setting for "Check beta for versions". It goes from the settings tab to the Update tab when it's redraw...I don't think it should do that. We are simply making a setting change and not expecting it to automatically go to the Update tab as if we want to proceed and get an update. Thanks highend.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

SammaySarkar wrote:b0.5;
This is solved with b0.6.

Can you add a "Check Now" button?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

highend

Post by highend »

the redrawing of the dialog is only happening on the setting for "Check beta for versions". It goes from the settings tab to the Update tab when it's redraw...
The GUI is reloaded because the beta check was made (if the checkbox was activated with a non-activated state before and vice versa).

I'm rewriting some stuff (more functions, sigh...) to make it possible that this isn't needed anymore. When I'm finished those things should work without reloading the gui...
Can you add a "Check Now" button?
Yepp.

g00p3k

Post by g00p3k »

This is the first auto-update manager that worked for me. thank you so much!

Suggestion to send close command to existing XYplorer if open, as the first time I missed the point that need to close xyplorer for it to run and just read restart as admin, which made me think it would close and restart with the update.

This file manager is so fully featured, I guess I'm surprised that it doesn't include auto-update. I'm sure there is a reason, but maybe someone could point me to a link/post that explains why this isn't implemented.

thanks!

highend

Post by highend »

Suggestion to send close command to existing XYplorer if open, as the first time I missed the point that need to close xyplorer for it to run and just read restart as admin, which made me think it would close and restart with the update.
It closes all instances of XY that it watches (that use the XYplorer.exe that you selected in the first place).
But as you mention it: It can't do so when XYplorer is elevated, but YAUM isn't...
I guess I'm surprised that it doesn't include auto-update
I like the user in control... I don't think that's a good option because I still want people to be able to save their work and close their running XYs before the update takes place.

I could allow this by adding another option that sends the "Save settings" command to each associated XYplorer instances though...

I'm still working on the update check that doesn't reload the whole gui... I've made a few todo notes regarding these wishes / issues...

highend

Post by highend »

v0.7 BETA posted. Changelog = 2nd post.

I've removed the "Restart XY with admin permissions" checkbox for now.

What do you think, should I introduce an "Always run elevated" checkbox instead?
That's not for XY but for YAUM. There are a few circumstances where things don't work
as expected (e.g. updating an elevated XY instance when YAUM isn't elevated itself).
Ticking that box would elevate YAUM immediately and circumvent those things...

You don't need to create a fresh YAUM.ini file this time but make sure, that you set
RestartElevated=1 to RestartElevated=0 if it's at 1 currently.

v0.71 BETA will contain a bugfix for the "Check for updates each" edit values (they weren't set correctly after reading the .ini file)...
Additionally, the "Hide" button will be gone. As a replacement, the minimize button of the window itself is back. It will take over that functionality.
The gui will now remember it's last active tab. So when you minimize it and use the keyboard shortcut it comes back with the last selected tab

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks highend,
I can only chime in with the others - this is the first XY update manager that works for me, too.
No rush about the compactor script, I realize it's a large-scale project. I can wait.
highend wrote:
I guess I'm surprised that it doesn't include auto-update
I like the user in control... I don't think that's a good option because I still want people to be able to save their work and close their running XYs before the update takes place.
Fully agree. I wouldn't want to face new handlings when I am in the middle of an assignment and depend on my XY workflows and scripts to work as usual.

highend

Post by highend »

v0.71 BETA posted. Changelog = 2nd post