ListManagementHouseCleaning

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
Stef123

Re: ListManagementHouseCleaning

Post by Stef123 »

Hi Ken,
not sure if I grasp the correct proceedings when wanting to clean out, say, VisualFilters. Here's what I do:
1. Call yr script and confirm the prompt for initial saving
2. Deselect everything in the list (Uncheck All)
3. Put a checkmark into "Selection Filters"
4. Put a checkmark into "Visual Filter"
What I get when clicking OK is the standard #624;
But how do I go about cleaning it out?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Stef123, maybe I'm not following but did you leave out some steps in your description? In version 2.3, 'Selection Filters' [mruSelectionFilter] should come up in the first dialog which will perform automatic cleaning of everything below the mru line. Visual Filters [mruVisualFilter] is the 2nd dialog which contains the more critical lists that I didn't want to auto clean. So the script will simply open all the dialogs that user checked off. In those dialogs you can press the clear all button to wipe them all out or pick and choose individual items to delete or move around. Did I misunderstand? The 1st and 2nd dialogs have completely different List Management items...there should be none that exist in both. I can reconsider what LM items are in the two dialogs.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks for the quick response, Ken,
it's not urgent, though, I can always fall back on the other script. Just thought I'd mention it. I am probably doing something wrong or my specific circumstances deviate from the more common scenarios.
klownboy wrote:did you leave out some steps in your description?
Not really. Let's turn it around. You tell me how to clean Visual Filters. Nothing else but Visual Filters. Maybe this helps to track down my issue. Thanks in advance for your effort. So how would you go about clearing Visual Filters (while keeping other filters)?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Stef123, to clear out "Visual filters", after saving or not saving, escape/cancel out of the 1st dialog box to quickly get to the 2nd dialog where "Visual Filters" exists, check off that box and it should take you to the Visual Filters List Management box. From there you can clear all or selectively choose which items to delete as you normally would. The List Management items in the 2nd dialog don't automatically clear as do the ones in the 1st dialog. I thought they were a bit too important to wipe out automatically...someone might get ticked off if they were wiped unintentionally. Selection Filters are in the 1st dialog box because they're not so critical, whereas Visual, Power and Global Filters are in the 2nd dialog. Hope that helps.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks Ken,
If you read you correctly, there is no way to auto-clean it. IOW, this is by design, not due to my ini-file or my wrong handling of affairs.

Thanks for pointing out the procedure with canceling out of the first dialog .... etc. However, it seems faster to simply call up #624 directly. Considering that I am a heavy user of Visual Filters - no quicker way I am aware of, to filter the current tab on the fly - I'll just keep using Sammay's script with the brute-force atttack.

No worries. Thanks anyway. I am sure your script will help a lot of other users. :tup:

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Ken,
say I want to clear out ALL selection filters, it still does not seem to do the job for Visual Filters. All its entries remain in place, even though I do NOT cancel out of the first dialog. "Selection Filters" is ticked ON, of course.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi again Stef123, no I didn't mean to imply that it's not possible to auto wipe Visual Filters list, section [mruVisualFilter](#624) or Global Visual Filters [mruGlobalVisualFilter](#657). I was hesitant to place those 2 initially in the first dialog only because if a user didn't have a sticky section established all entries would all be wiped clean and they might be quite important to some. You did confuse me a little in saying
I want to clear out ALL selection filters, it still does not seem to do the job for Visual Filters
Keep in mind "Selection Filters" is a separate mru from Visual filters, Global Visual filters and Global Power filters. Maybe you were just talking generically when referring to selection filters or we still have our wires crossed. :) Also see http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14674

Anyway, I'll move Visual Filters and Global Visual Filters to the first dialog such that they can be deleted in one swoop, but I'd suggest that you or anyone establish a sticky section if there are any you'd want to save first before using the new script. Thanks.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

klownboy wrote: Anyway, I'll move Visual Filters and Global Visual Filters to the first dialog such that they can be deleted in one swoop
Thanks, Ken. I think it makes sense. It's what the title of the script hints at, after all.
klownboy wrote: ...but I'd suggest that you or anyone establish a sticky section if there are any you'd want to save first before using the new script.
Maybe I lack some vital background knowledge here? Why would it be more dangerous to delete Visual Filters than say, MiniTrees or QuickSearch patterns? Actually, I even use the same patterns in both, QuickSearch and VisualFilters. If VisualFilters have more impact or repercussions - please let me know, Ken. I wouldn't want to suffer adverse effects from deleting them.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Stef123 wrote:If VisualFilters have more impact or repercussions
Oh no not really, it was me thinking that some users may have spent some time developing some unique visual filters, but that's all the more reason to make them sticky or place them under Power Visual Filters. Heck, I haven't done much work with filters so I was making assumptions. I wish you had brought it up earlier and I would have done it on the last change. :biggrin:

Edit: I have the change done. I'll post it tomorrow after more testing.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks Ken,
reassuring to hear that Visual Filters are not exceptional in terms of "keep-worthiness". Your remark made me apprehensive - I suspected it might have to do with FolderViewSettings, but luckily, they seem to store their VisualFilter settings separately from the VF list mgmt.
klownboy wrote: I wish you had brought it up earlier and I would have done it on the last change. :biggrin:
Didn't notice it at all. Not because I don't use Filters - quite the contrary, I didn't want to mess with stuff that's important to me, so I test-drove your script with other lists only. But now after shifting from Sammay's script to yr clean-up solution, these real-life scenarios come up.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Version 2.4 of ListManagementHouseCleaning was posted - see beginning of thread. "Visual Filters" and "Global Visual Filters" List Management items were moved from the "edit" dialog (2nd) to the "clear" dialog (1st). Since these two List Management items are now in the "clear" dialog, you should consider making sticky sections if you have any that you'd like to maintain or make Power Filters. The script will not delete any items in the sticky section. Thanks for trying it out.

hermhart

Post by hermhart »

klownboy,

Have you had any issues with 'Recent Locations' not acknowledging that there are items to be cleared? There will be items in the list for it, but the script doesn't put a check-mark in saying there is something there to clear. If I check-mark it manually, it will get cleared though.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi hermhart, I sent you a tweaked version by PM. I experienced a slightly different but probably related issue but hopefully both are corrected. Thanks.

Edit: I wanted to let you know that "Recent Locations" is one of those LM list that is not updated in XYplorer.ini unless you save. The unique thing in this case is the "Save" button is not changed from green to brown to indicate that you need a save either. For example, if you manually clear out the Recent Locations in LM and then "Save" settings and then proceed to new locations the XYplorer.ini file is not updated at all until a save is done and you wouldn't know a save is required because the "Save" button does not turn brown. I'm sure Don did this on purpose because the Save button would nearly always be brown (i.e., the function is just not important enough to flag a change and turn the green button brown). :) So this means for testing purposes for Recent Locations it's probably wise to save in that 1st dialog even if the Save button is green unless you performed a very recent save. By the way I'm not having any problems with the version I sent you...if I clear the Recent Locations list, the dialog is unchecked and if I have them it's checked.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Been using 2.4 on various machines - and it works great. Many thanks for adding VisualFilters to the items to be cleaned. From now on, I will permanently use your script, Ken. It is faster, safer and easier to handle than the brute-force alternative I mentioned earlier. I am glad you decided to post your approach and stick with it to turn it into a full-fledged script. Very much appreciated. Thank you. :appl: :beer:

hermhart

Post by hermhart »

klownboy,

Thank you very much for the updated file, and I see what you mean about the Recent Locations and saving, I didn't even think about saving and then trying to use the script. Thank you for looking into that for me, I really appreciate it. This script works GREAT!