XYSkinner can apply custom skins to the default toolbar buttons. This is a very early release, use with extreme caution. READ NOTES BELOW CAREFULLY.
v1.1>>downloaded file was not named correctly (thanks SkyFrontier for noting). Much Sorry! Also, default icon is generated dynamically (from <xy>). you can delete default.ico now.
v1-reupload>>uses an alternative, faster link by default. Remember the download size should be 542 KB!
The graphics for XYplorer's own buttons reside inside the main exe. This script is basically just a very limited frontend to ResHacker, which modifies the graphics.
Upon first run, the script will ask to download ResHacker (v3.4). You are also given the option to manually place ResHacker files to <xyscripts>\XYskins\res.
• this script modifies the main <xyexe> which means invalidated digital signature for major releases, XY will run normally though.
• if you're using this script, then please don't apply custom skins manually, it will disorient this script.
• If you face errors, read RESETTING instructions at the bottom of this post. Then try downloading ResHacker from the links below, and run the script
• Read the popup messages carefully!
• this script will close all running instances of XYplorer. If any instance of XY is running with elevated rights, skin application might fail.
• if Xyplorer restarts without have skin applied, open the script and try increasing the value in WScript.Sleep(). There are four of them in the same section.
• if you repeatedly keep facing "Setup did not complete.Quitting..." error. look into the subscript "_extractskin". There's a commented wait command. Try increasing it's value
• you should try it out with a test copy of XYplorer installation before using regularly
LESS IMPORTANT NOTES
• The biggest nuisance is the absurdly high update rate of XY (sorry Don, no offense, don't stop!) . You have to rerun this skin everytime you update, until you get tired. *
• If ResHacker.zip download fails you should download it manually and rerun the script. Currently ResHack is downloaded from this
• The default skin changes radically/slightly with almost each major release (example: compare v14 and v12). I've added a rudimentary check to compare the skin and default dimensions before applying it. (Also the menu items show dimensions, only apply the skins which match default) But if the applied skin seems out of place, you can reapply default, then open the invalid skin in a graphic editor and move the icons around to match default.png. Perhaps even post the updated skin!
• I'm lazily compiling more skins, but I'll be very VERY grateful if people with artistic talents submits more skins! [skins DIY]
• RESETTING: if something goes wrong, delete <xyscripts>\XYskins\XYSKins.ini and default.png
DISCLAIMER: whatever happens to your XYplorer, Vogons did it!
* but if you really can't think of anything else to break your XYplorer with, throw me a pm