Clean Recent Menu

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
nerdweed

Re: Clean Recent Menu

Post by nerdweed »

Yes, the limits aren't checked there. I thought it wouldn't make much sense there.

It wasn't there in the version from LittleBig and I didn't bother to add for reasons to follow. They are populated from recent list with only the existing path. In extreme cases - if your history has paths that navigate to a deeply nested folder (64 folders deep probably), it will have only one path and in another extreme, it would be same as sorted list.

We already have sorted list to cover one extreme and limit doesn't make sense in the other. In usual scenarios, it was kind of not needed. That said, the limit doesn't make sense in Sorted list either, because with a low limit, probably the most recent locations may not be shown.

However; if you still need it, it can be added very easily. Download this one.
Attachments
HitList.xys
(5.93 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks again nerdweed,
don't know why I get such long hitlists, but anyway, limits are respected by Hit/Hotlist in your last version, thanks for being so helpful. However, now my other drives\paths don't get listed :( , the previous version did list them in Hot/Hitlist.

Guess I should really come to terms with modifying and adapting your script it to my needs. Easier said than done, though. Every time I mess with it I manage to wreck it. :oops:

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Thats what I meant, because hotlist is based on sorting the list and then removing the non-leaf nodes; I have to work on a sorted list. If the limit is met on the first drive, it doesn't make sense to go to next drive and hence they would be missings. Its tug of war.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

I see what you mean. It's sorted across drives, not sorted one drive at a time as I had assumed, because it looks like that with separators and all. So the limit does not apply per drive, but overall. Well, since I copy mostly between drives, I rather not have them drop out at the botttom, so I guess I'll just have to live with it the way it is.

Thanks again for sharing your scripts and thoughts.
Stef

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

The chatter here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21118 on recently opened files got me thinking about some older scripts on Recent Folders here in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11458. Though there may be some code that could be updated to XY's latest (nearly 6 years have transpired), both LittleBiG and nerdweed submitted some very nice scripts that still work fine. Based on those scripts, I figured why not modify one of those for use with recent files. I only did what was needed to be done without trying to redo what works already or reinvent the wheel so-to-speak. Hopefully nerdweed and LittleBiG are alright with that. Please take a look at the screen capture.

As in the original scripts along with modifications you can:
- assign how many recent files you'd like to see in the menu.
- determine and set whether you want the listing sorted by drives or unsorted
- set whether you would like the files to be actually opened or just visited in the folder in which they reside.
- you can also go to a folder in which the file resides and in addition open / run the file. It's my favorite option because you can open or view an image or play a video or song and then also be in the folder in which that image/video/audio file resides such that you can then easily view/ play others.
- your Favorite Files listing is also included at the end of the recent files listing.
- included an option to add or remove the Favorite Files listing from the menu. Some would rather thave that real estate for additional recent files.

Important - As in the original CleanRecent script, you will need a execution line similar to this whether it be in User Defined Commands or a CTB:
load "<xyscripts>\RecentFiles&Favs", "_loadrecent"; load "<xyscripts>\RecentFiles&Favs.xys";

Running it for the first time, it may feel a bit sluggish, but it should be fine on subsequent runs.

Thanks for trying and please let me know if you encounter any issues. Thanks again to LittleBig and nerdweed.
RecentFiles&Favs.JPG
RecentFiles&Favs.JPG (66.64 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
RecentFiles&Favs.xys
(5.77 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

Xianders

Post by Xianders »

Thanks for the update

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Thanks for the comment Xianders. I finished another update which will provide additional options. The ability to place the recent files on top was a top priority and hopefully a little increase in speed. I'll upload when done testing.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

klownboy wrote: 15 Nov 2020 18:32 ... Based on those scripts, I figured why not modify one of those for use with recent files. ... Hopefully nerdweed and LittleBiG are alright with that.
Of course I don't mind, rather I am happy that you keep the idea alive and thank you for doing this great work on it, making it even better and better.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

An update to the RecentFiles&Favs script:
- you can now elect to see your recent files listing on top of the options menu
- hopefully sped it up slightly. Some of settings are saved to an ini section within the script to eliminate some file read and writes. I also used some perm variables but they are used only within the script and are all unset when the script ends (i.e., none are carried over - they were needed for some menu items mostly).
- you can elect to see the extended options menu or not by clicking the OPTIONS header. The main options for open, goto, or goto and run will remain either way.
- as before you can elect to see the recent files sorted and grouped or not. They are now in a numbered listing when ungrouped.
- as before you can elect to see Favorite Files or not.
- Important - you will need a execution line similar to this whether it be in User Defined Commands (Category: Run Script) or a CTB:
load "<xyscripts>\RecentFiles&Favs", "_loadrecent"; load "<xyscripts>\RecentFiles&Favs.xys";

Once again thanks to both LittleBiG and nerdweed for their scripts here in this thread.
RecentFiles&Favs.png
RecentFiles&Favs.png (41.7 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
RecentFiles&Favs_v1.1.xys
(5.9 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

Forgive my ignorance. I loaded the RecentFiles&Favs_v1.1.xys in user commands, but not sure what to do with this:

load "<xyscripts>\RecentFiles&Favs", "_loadrecent"; load "<xyscripts>\RecentFiles&Favs.xys"

I'm getting an error when trying to run the script file.

Thanks for your help.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Mike, try adding a ";" (without quotes) after that full load statement.

By the way, I have a "Recent Folders" verion of that script (instead of files), I don't remember whether I ever uploaded that version.

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

That did work, but I also had to copy the script to my app data location. Curious how I could load that script file from a preferred location.

highend

Post by highend »

By using a full path to it if none of the XY variables matches?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

Thank you. Got it.

Thank you all for your kind assistance!

Blessings on your day!

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

RecentFolders&Favs script update v 1.1. The script is based is based on LittleBig's nice script, CleanRecent. It was modified to display recent folders and Favorite folders with options to goto, copy, or move files to those folders.

Someone had mentioned in another thread about the capability to copy or move files to Favorite Folders. I thought my old version of CleanRecent was able to do that. I was wrong, for some reason I had the capability to copy/move (along with "goto") to the "recent folders", but I didn't provide that option for Favorite Folders. Well essentially that's the main reason for this revision. To use the copy/move to option, you must have files selected beforehand. If you don't, you'll get a message. So, keep in mind if in the previous use, the copy or move to option was selected and you then run the script again without having files selected, you get a message. Of course, you wouldn't get a message if you're using the "goto" option or that option was previously selected.
Recent Folders and Favs.jpg
Recent Folders and Favs.jpg (121.91 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Reminder as in the previous version, you will need a execution line similar to this whether it be in User Defined Commands (Category: Run Script) or a CTB:
load "<xyscripts>\RecentFolders&Favs_v1.1.xys", "_loadrecent"; load "<xyscripts>\RecentFolders&Favs_v1.1.xys";
RecentFolders&Favs_v1.1.xys
(8.44 KiB) Downloaded 9 times