Work Session - save time launching sets of fldrs/files

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
SkyFrontier

Work Session - save time launching sets of fldrs/files

Post by SkyFrontier »

This is a long time wish (not on forums) but never fulfilled.
Recently, user aurumdigitum asked for something and that kicked me off.

-How often you have to open the same boring tabs, according to a certain task you're doing,
just to open another set few hours later?

-...ever wished the computer could KNOW what you need opened based on either a file you're
working on, or on a folder in which resides a project which needs in turn to open large sets
of other files+folders, task specific?

-...ever wanted a simple way to check album art in full resolution instead of tiny pics embedded
on a file your player barely knows about?

Read on, dear user, coz we can automate the whole damn thing...!

The concept is pretty simple. You'll need to teach the computer what you want, but once done, forget about it.

>download the attached scripts;

>pick an extension: be it the extension of a specific target file which will trigger the launching of
the entire set of files + folders
**or**
a extension of a file which is often used from inside a specific FOLDER which will be the trigger of such actions
**or**
create .wsl (Work Session Loader) files with descriptive file names which will be either put all
on a single folder (think on 'shortcuts on steroids') or spread across target, monitored folders

then set that extension, 'any given ext' or 'wsl' as a PFA (Portable File Association - put the below
code into your XY address bar and hit ENTER)

:: help "idh_fileassociations.htm";

like this:

mp3;wsl> load "wSss";
or
wsl> load "wSss";

the former will monitor mp3 files too, the latter, wsl only;

>put the 'wSss.xys' file inside <xyscripts> (I HATE this step - hate putting script files around);

>now, run the code contained in the 'wSssDBw_WorkSessionDatabaseWriter' file. It'll pop an alert for 1st run,
then will ask for
1. a folder or a file which will trigger an action (folders MUST end with a '\' - default when you CTRL+P
inside XY list, with no file on focus)

2. the associated files(s) and/or folder(s), "<crlf>" ('paragraph') separated.

Done.

Now, each time you launch such triggers (set on step 1) a confirmation box (attention: defaults to CANCEL!,
I made the tool as little obtrusive as possible) pops asking whether or not to load companion items.

Later I'll add a database editor/cleaner, perhaps embed it on the main code to keep stuff tidy - have
to decide on a better approach on this, as unavailable stuff may appear anytime soon. Have to think.
MUST be easy to play with.

Known drawbacks:

-PFA *must* be skipped to launch files whose extension is a defined trigger otherwise an overflow occurs
and stops the script.
>any way to circumvent this? Had 4 different ideas for this but no practical solution.

-won't work with special folders, ie, 'Documents' - you MUST state the full path.

As usual, let me know what you think/expect/issues found. Anything is welcome and considered.

Best wishes and enhancing your productivity - freeing you to LIVE,

XYSF.

-minor edit to come [done].
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

SkyFrontier

Re: Work Session - save time launching sets of fldrs/files

Post by SkyFrontier »

If you liked this, you should really check these variations:

Timed Adventures for Jake & Finn - projects management

Notes in Folder [Jake & Finn]
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...