Collection Manager [v3.1]

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
FluxTorpedoe

Re: Collection Manager [v0.b7]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'

Yes, "filters" was indeed my own definition for Collection Manager. It was a way to have visible extra tags... before they came. ;)

Anyway, I totally agree that there should be an easy way to enable or disable the use of filters, and the use of the filtering window. This will be in the next version.

But before posting it, I'd like to resolve your problem first. :)
So I still need to know what happens, or what doesn't happen. Thanks for confirming the output of the script, but could you please explain what is not working?
Do you mean there are files found when your collection has one path only, but when you add another path to your collection, no files are found? Or only some files are found but not all? Or is it something else...?
(note that the quick'n dirty fix above was for "Find" only and not "Find by name" —but as I said, this will be changed in next version).

autocart

Post by autocart »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:So I still need to know what happens, or what doesn't happen. Thanks for confirming the output of the script, but could you please explain what is not working?
Do you mean there are files found when your collection has one path only, but when you add another path to your collection, no files are found? Or only some files are found but not all? Or is it something else...?
Feb 3rd, 2014:
FluxTorpedoe wrote:Now to the problem itself: adding another folder shouldn't have an impact.
Uhm, the problem is that adding another folder does have an impact, as the "output" shows. With only 1 folder the " ["-filter is not used and my files are found in a "normal" way, which is good and what I want. With 2 folders filter is used in search term. Since I hardly have any files that contain " [", almost nothing is found with 2 folders.

[EDIT:] BTW, there also is another bug. When I open a collection then the current tab is dublicated, making the search-tab of the collection the 3rd tab.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Ok, that confirms what I thought: among all the files available in your two paths, you must have more than 5 files with [] in their names, so the script believes it must limit the collection to filtered files.
This will be easily user-definable (i.e. "fixed" for your needs) in new version (already coded).

Regarding the duplicated tab, oops, you're right, this bug was introduced in the last version... A new tab should be created for each search, but not two obviously! Thanks for pointing this out, I'll fix this.

Stay tuned, and don't hesitate to post if you find other problems or suggestions! :)

autocart

Post by autocart »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:This happens when it has detected more than 5 different "filters" for a specific collection
Ok, did not understand that this actually meant more than 5 files with filters in their name. Now I finally get it.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'

This update should appeal to more users:
- now you can decide which of your collections should use filters or not (i.e. when you have filenames containing data in square brackets [] ), and independently,
- which of your collections should display the filtering window when searching (which can be used to search by labels too).

Well, now the future of Collection Manager may probably call for the inclusion of "Extra Tags" — I'll wait for an official release anyway (can't afford to take risks with my current tag database right now).

Tell me what you think about it, and don't hesitate to share your ideas or concerns!

& above all: enjoy! 8)
Flux

- - - - - - - - -
Collection Manager v0.b8 - Changelog
+ Added ability to enable or disable use of filters per collection
+ Added ability to enable or disable use of filtering window when searching collection
+ Raised maximum number of folders that can be included in a collection to 5 (from 3)
! Fixed duplication of tabs when searching collection
! Same folder could be included several times in a collection
* Syntax changes (including a wizard-like "step x/y" to clarify things)
CollectionManager.xys
(53.53 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Install instructions are here.
CM_Icons.zip
(17.35 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Icon pack for new users: unzip in your <xydata> (i.e. "XYplorer\Data") path.
Note that from now on, I'll separate the icon pack (it's not been updated since the first release, so no need to download again).

:!: Note to existing users:It's advised you redefine your filtering and filtering window choices by rebuilding filters for all your collections in Collection Manager Menu: "Manage Collections..." > "Rebuild Filters of Collections...".

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Collection Manager [v0.b8]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'
Previous update introduced a :bug: in the "Find Collection by name" functions. :oops:
I was offline when I saw this, hence the delay...
Here's the fix.

Have a nice day, 8)
Flux

- - - - - - - - -
Collection Manager v0.b9 - Changelog
! Fixed "Find by name" functions
CollectionManager.xys
(53.53 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Collection Manager [v1.3]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi’

With my being offline a lot, it’s been a while since the last online update (2 years!), but I’m still using Collection Manager (and its "cover launcher") pretty often —and quite happily I must add… :biggrin:
And it seems I’m not alone, so upon user request, here’s the latest version.

Enjoy, 8)
Flux

———————————————————————————

• Main changes: (whole changelog below)
 — Rating ★ folders: if some files are in folders named with stars, filtering by stars will be auto-enabled
   › Star symbols can be copied from CM Help file, or here: (bomb, half-star, star) ⏺ ☆ ★
 — Define Exclusive filters: inverted filter search, e.g. "Movies (Not Series)" will find files not having filter "Series"
 — Code is more robust and compliant with XY Syntax Checking.
CollectionManager_Stars_s.png
CollectionManager_Stars_s.png (108.64 KiB) Viewed 6570 times

• General note about my current approach to "generic" DAM (Digital Assets Management) and database managing / tagging / filtering:

— Along the years, I had to do too many conversions (when not losses of metadata) between DAM (and note-taking) softs to reach a conclusion:
      › I wanted my metadata reliable, so it had to be "embedded" in the files one way or another.
      › If it’s really embedded, like EXIF or MP3 ratings: excellent! (Though unfortunately not universal among formats.)
      › If not, file or folder names are a working last resort: clumsy and limited, but secure enough; hence Collection Manager approach.

⏵ I use tags, sometimes extensively, but exclusively for transient works.

⏵ Collection Manager only finds items based on their name:
   — smart search based on "filters", i.e.
      › part of filenames enclosed in [brackets], e.g. "Dumas, Alexandre - The Three Musketeers [Action, Adventure, History].epub"; or
      › name of (grand-)parent folder if starred, e.g. "…\★★★★☆\…\Dumas,Alexandre…"
   — regular name search (restricted to folders of selected collection)

⏵ When embedded solutions are not available, this approach to generic DAM is less than ideal, but it’s the only reliable one I’ve found as of now.

⏵ Well, XY’s ongoing addition of tag database management (and by extension backup!) —though still external— might open new horizons, so we’ll see… :wink:

Collection Manager v1.3 - Changelog:
+++ Added exclusive filters, i.e. for a chosen Filter, you can also display (and rename) a "Not Filter". e.g. define "Series" as exclusive and name its exclusion "Movies", then you’ll be able to filter by "Series" but also by "Movies (Not Series)".
   CM > Manage Collections > Define Exclusive Filters…
++ Added filtering by rated folders named with stars (see CM’s Help to copy star symbols)
* Removed filtering by rated folders named @A-E
* Compliance width XY’s strict code ("Scripting" > "syntax checking")
+ Added setting (in script header) to disable use of labels as filters
+ Added some status info
* Enlarged dialog boxes to accommodate larger fonts
! Create missing thumbnails in some cases [pending XYplorer update]
* Enhanced name of results tab
! Fixed actions (searches, cover launcher…) being too broad when several folders had same name/basename
! Folder monitoring not always set/removed in rare cases
*/+ Cover Launcher: now uses only quicksearch (needs XYplorer >= v16.0202)
+/! Cover Launcher: Enhanced detection of corresponding item to launch when double-clicking on a cover
* Cover Launcher: Reverted to always run first matching item if several matching items are found (before, items where reordered by prefered extensions)
Attachments
CollectionManager.xys
(56.41 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by FluxTorpedoe on 25 Aug 2016 21:43, edited 3 times in total.

pnoah

Re: Collection Manager [v1.3]

Post by pnoah »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:Hi’

... but I’m still using Collection Manager (and its "cover launcher") pretty often —and quite happily I must add… :biggrin:
And it seems I’m not alone, so upon user request, here’s the latest version.
Guilty as charged! :biggrin: Thank you so so much. I admit I was looking almost every day for this like I was 5 years old. :oops:
Running very smoothly so far, even purrs like a cat. Definitely worth waiting for.

Thank you, Sir. :appl:

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Collection Manager [v1.4]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi’

@pnoah
   Glad you like it! Hope you’ll enjoy this version even more. :wink:

@all
   Here’s a quick update.
   I belatedly realized that some of you may need more than one exclusive filter…
   And one thing leading to another, it meant a huge overhaul of this feature, so here it is (I updated the screenshot in the post above).

To those who downloaded the script and already defined exclusive filters, you have to rebuild filters of the related collections, sorry for the trouble.

Have a nice day, 8)
Flux

Collection Manager v1.4 - Changelog:
++ Huge rewrite of exclusive filters:
 › Much cleaner display: no more "… only" or extra "… (Not Filter)", just e.g. "Series" and "Movies"
 › Management of multiple exclusive filters
 › Add/remove multiple exclusive filters at once
 › All exclusive filters now always listed before regular filters
 › Added dialog to keep existing exclusive filters when rebuilding list of filters of a collection
 › Ability to remove all exclusive filters via "Manage Collections" | "Rebuild Filters of Collections…" > "Keep exclusive…?" > "No"
 › Ability to remove specific filters via renamed menu: "Manage Collections" | "Edit Exclusive Filters…"
* Search in collection with multiple folders more reliable (paths can now contain ";"):
 › Multiple paths now separated by "|" instead of ";" — works since XYplorer version ???
Attachments
CollectionManager.xys
(59.07 KiB) Downloaded 306 times

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Collection Manager [v2.5]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi everyone,

I thought I’d post my internal update, even though I don’t have time right now to list the changes, nor to write a proper manual…
But it’s a huge one, and too good to pass… :mrgreen:

Among other changes:
 — All menus are now real "pop-up"
 — Thanks to that, I reorganized the whole layout
 — And best of all, Collections can have an automatic (but editable) MRU list (most recently used) for ultra-fast access to your in-progress ebooks, movies, etc.
   With per-colletion MRU, now you can keep your reference documents, ebooks… just within 2 clicks : 1 Right-Click on Collection Manager icon > move mouse to e.g. "Recent Documents › XYplorer Manual" > 1 click to reopen it!
   Note: MRU works —and is automatically generated— only for monitored collections (e.g. when in your "Movies" folders (automatically filtered by CM to just show pics), you double-click on a jpg poster to launch the matching movie ; in "Documents" folders you double-click covers to open ebooks/pdf…).

⮚ Quick shameless tip: the combination of Monitoring + MRU is a real killer feature! :twisted:

• REQUIREMENTS:
XYplorer >= v17.30.0001 (for pop-up menus)

• DOWNLOADS:
CollectionManager.xys
(67.95 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Hope you enjoy it…

Have a nice day, 8)
Flux

lian00

Post by lian00 »

Hello, I’m looking at the thread and you should update the first post and put the install explanation here. I had to read everything to find it :-) Thanks for the script, I hope it will help me to manage my book collection. Too bad there is no barcode management.
Windows 10 64 bits

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi lian00,

You’re right… There are bits and pieces everywhere. 🙈
I’ll clean this a bit. A task not so easy since this script needs a few extra steps to reach its full potential (mainly the extremely useful folder monitoring).
I’ll also post an update, more robust, and with Most Recently Used lists.
(Unfortunately still without barcode management though. Not enough time to delve into this.)

I should manage to to this in March.

Have a nice day,

Flux

lian00

Post by lian00 »

No problem. I will wait for next version.
Windows 10 64 bits

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Collection Manager [v3.1]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

I. Shall. Not. Provide ETAs! 🙈

Well, before procrastinating again, I’ll post the new version right away, and arrange things later…
Still, don’t hesitate to post questions or remarks!

Have a nice day, 8)

Flux

#####################
###  Collection Manager v3.1  ###
#####################

• DOWNLOADS:
› Script:
CollectionManager.xys
(74.62 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

• REQUIREMENTS:
 — XYplorer >= 17.30.0001

• INSTALLATION » for first-time users:
 — Please refer to this post
    Better and unified explanations to come later…

• UPDATE » for all users:
 — Overwrite your existing "CollectionManager.xys" file with latest version
 — Note: For rating of folders or files, Collection Manager uses star ★ , half-star ☆ , and bomb ⦿
    (Rating used @ in early versions < 2.0 (?), so it may be necessary to update those symbols.)

• CHANGELOG – v3.1:
+ Search by Folder rating now also matches ratings as part of larger name (e.g. with prefix and/or suffix)
* Bomb sign updated
• CHANGELOG – v3.0:
+++ Global MRU at start of menu
+++ Filtering by rating on folders
+ Monitor folders (to enable global MRU)
* Enhanced display depending on collection type (pdf, comic)
* Icon of Epub Cover Extractor