Like a new feature? Say thanks here

Say it if you mean it...
scrotty

Re: Like a new feature? Say thanks here

Post by scrotty »

j_c_hallgren wrote:You're a bit behind! It's up to v401 now, with v400 making some more major chgs in DP!
I'm a moron: I do have 401. I use jacky's updater script and I think it puts the version you just updated from in the title bar too. I must have read that by accident.

(I've updated my previous post - stubbornly using a strikethrough tag even though this forum's version of bbcode doesn't support it. :)

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Congratulations to Version 8 ...
... and to Dual Pane!

I like it :D

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

After being skeptical about DP for long time, I should say I like it (though i dont use it that much). And for single paners the side effect of having second set of tabs is quite nice (there's nothing to lose). With time I see that some operations are quite easier in DP mode, like comparing images for example.
I take this opportunity to thank Don for seeing the users' viewpoint and making this happen. I am sure DP will bring lots of users and improve sales for Don.

For those not aware: remember that XYplorer is a one man company, so please support at the forums or donate when possible.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

serendipity wrote:For those not aware: remember that XYplorer is a one man company, so please support at the forums or donate when possible.
Yes, we should all try to give Don a monetary donation (at least a small one) for this MAJOR enhancement! So I just sent a "gift" via PayPal 8)

Looking back in my acct history, I've done so a few times and the accum total now is around $75...you earned & deserved it, Don!
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 15 Jun 2009 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

After resisting to add Dual Pane for a couple of years I'd like to say this:

(1) Adding it was easier than I had expected. Untypically for major features there was not a single unforeseen surprise along the implementation road. This must be due to my stay in India!

(2) Even if you don't use Dual Pane you will benefit from it because it brought along a general "clean up" of the code, which made XY (for you) faster and (for me) easier to maintain.

(3) Yes, even me I do use Dual Pane now in a controlled fashion... :D

Fedorov

Post by Fedorov »

Another BIG thank you here as well Don - having bought the lifetime license and not being able to make the switch from Total Commander to XyPlorer despite numerous forced attempts I am now going to make the switch and hopefully stay for good this time, many thanks for your efforts.

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

And yet another big thanks to Don for this milestone release. It shows that even when he is strongly opposed to a feature request he can be swayed by a well presented, convincing argument.

Here's hoping that this major new feature will open XY up to a very wide market that did not consider XY before (and significantly more sales)!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

mwb1100 wrote:Here's hoping that this major new feature will open XY up to a very wide market that did not consider XY before (and significantly more sales)!
Wondering if Don did or will see any spike in sales since this was made an "official release", given that it seemed that the web site and this forum were having load issues earlier.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

martysil

Post by martysil »

I'm a newbie - only been using XYPlorer for about 2 months. I don't know how I lived without it.

And this latest release - with the dual pane capability - is just incredible.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

MLS

graham

Post by graham »

martysil wrote:

Code: Select all

I'm a newbie - only been using XYPlorer for about 2 months. I don't know how I lived without it.

This is my 'take' on XY and its future. Donations are nice to have but frankly a drop in the ocean - what matters is NEW SALES and lots of them. Brilliant products with low sales are simply brilliant products but commercially a disaster. Now that XY has DP it can 'fit' with more people and hopefully reviewers. I personally believe that products like XY only sell mainly by recommendations.

A personal thought about XY as it is now - I don't like DP but that is irrelevant because a lot of people do and expect it to be there. The 'finish' and styling is professional but needs to meet the expectations before DP (Jacky's comments say a lot). But there is, for me, one major problem with XY - it is a tool that has too much in it! New converts will, I think want a Starter XY which has all the basic FM stuff and a few goodies to make it attractive. They will then, having got to know XY feel the time is right to advance to XY Expert and BUY again the upgrade. So, a Starter at low introduction purchase price to 'win over' loyalty and an upgrade to Expert and have more than you need.

Btw, I definitely fit into the Starter category -very few demands on XY but I could not live without it. I have the expert XY of course, after all I want to be able solve a task in FM when it pops up outside the scope of a starter package. Marketing s/w & services was my job long past but XY is too good to be just a brilliant product with a low sales. Starter version - there must be one around, surely?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

graham wrote:martysil wrote:

This is my 'take' on XY and its future. Donations are nice to have but frankly a drop in the ocean - what matters is NEW SALES and lots of them. Brilliant products with low sales are simply brilliant products but commercially a disaster. Now that XY has DP it can 'fit' with more people and hopefully reviewers. I personally believe that products like XY only sell mainly by recommendations.

A personal thought about XY as it is now - I don't like DP but that is irrelevant because a lot of people do and expect it to be there. The 'finish' and styling is professional but needs to meet the expectations before DP (Jacky's comments say a lot). But there is, for me, one major problem with XY - it is a tool that has too much in it! New converts will, I think want a Starter XY which has all the basic FM stuff and a few goodies to make it attractive. They will then, having got to know XY feel the time is right to advance to XY Expert and BUY again the upgrade. So, a Starter at low introduction purchase price to 'win over' loyalty and an upgrade to Expert and have more than you need.

Btw, I definitely fit into the Starter category -very few demands on XY but I could not live without it. I have the expert XY of course, after all I want to be able solve a task in FM when it pops up outside the scope of a starter package. Marketing s/w & services was my job long past but XY is too good to be just a brilliant product with a low sales. Starter version - there must be one around, surely?
Yes, I often think in that direction. But: the problem is that different users will have different ideas about "basic FM stuff" and "goodies". This is where I usually stop thinking.

Another problem is that there a lots of freeware file managers offering "basic FM stuff" and some "goodies".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

martysil wrote:I'm a newbie - only been using XYPlorer for about 2 months. I don't know how I lived without it.

Yep, actually I begin thanking myself! :mrgreen: Today, working on thumbnails I found a brilliant use for Dual Pane: Playing around with thumbnails in pane 1, I could simultaneously watch what happened to the disk cache file in pane 2 (which auto-refreshed nicely whenever necessary). Cool!
Attachments
thumbsdp.png
thumbsdp.png (79.96 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

tedy

Post by tedy »

* Since v4.50.0015 (2006-02-26 12:40) only up to 256 individual
selections were retained between tab switches. This limit is
now lifted: any number of individual selections are retained.
This particular change was the one thing I was wishing for before I got my license yesterday :) .
And wow, it was implemented just two days after I called your attention to this.
I have one line to say: simple interface but with many and powerful functions I've never seen before in any other Explorer enhancement or replacement, at once. I mean functions I actually can and will use. Really made with usability in mind. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tedy wrote:
* Since v4.50.0015 (2006-02-26 12:40) only up to 256 individual
selections were retained between tab switches. This limit is
now lifted: any number of individual selections are retained.
This particular change was the one thing I was wishing for before I got my license yesterday :) .
And wow, it was implemented just two days after I called your attention to this.
I have one line to say: simple interface but with many and powerful functions I've never seen before in any other Explorer enhancement or replacement, at once. I mean functions I actually can and will use. Really made with usability in mind. Thanks.
You're welcome. :)

Generally, and I mean all users that like something about XYplorer, a good way to share your satisfaction is shown here:
http://www.xyplorer.com/reviews_now.htm

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Nothing new here but wanted to share this:
I had to download about 30 chapters on some topic from the web and there was no one PDF file which meant i had to click on every chapter 30 times and save them. But luckily I have XY, all i had to do was run this from address bar to get them all:

$count = 1; WHILE ($count < 31) { download ("http:\\www.blahblahblah.com\Chapter_$count"); incr $count; }
what can i say! 8) I LOVE XYPLORER!!