RecycleBin + price increase in 2010 == buy it now!

Say it if you mean it...
iycgtptyarvg

RecycleBin + price increase in 2010 == buy it now!

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

As stated, now that the recyclebin has been introduced I no longer haven any reason not to use XYplorer instead of WinExplorer.

Tip to others who are considering XYplorer: The prices will double in about a week, so be quick!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

tux.

Re: RecycleBin + price increase in 2010 == buy it now!

Post by tux. »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:The prices will double in about a week, so be quick!
A significant price increase is a reason to wonder about the dev's intentions, as I actually doubt that adding more features has a large cost to him anyway... :?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tux. wrote:
iycgtptyarvg wrote:The prices will double in about a week, so be quick!
A significant price increase is a reason to wonder about the dev's intentions, as I actually doubt that adding more features has a large cost to him anyway... :?
You don't think that Don's time is a cost? :shock:
I think he's not getting enough for all the effort he puts into XY so putting the prices back up makes sense to me...they were reduced for a while this year so it's not as much of an increase as a resumption of prior pricing.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Somewhere I had read that the prices are increased due to more features, which would be a reason if he was a company, but AFAIK he isn't ...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tux. wrote:Somewhere I had read that the prices are increased due to more features, which would be a reason if he was a company, but AFAIK he isn't ...
:o So...in order to add those "more features" (which does help justify a price increase, IMO), he had to spend numerous hours coding/testing them...even though he's working for himself, he still needs to be compensated for that effort...those added features didn't just appear by magic...many other app's have gone up in price as features were added over time so XY is just doing the same.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Could more money give him the spent time back?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What the app is worth for a user depends on the individual user's work and work style. I believe that there are many users out there who can save a lot of time, energy, and money using XY, more than with any other file manager out there. The new prices are little compared to what those users will get back.

The task is to find those users and make XY known to them. That's where the chief promoter comes into play... :wink:

tux.

Post by tux. »

It's just that the chief promoter doesn't have enough time and/or work to compensate by using XY for that. :lol:
Well, at least it is not as expensive as Directory Opus ...

8)

(Now please don't take this as a suggestion.)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tux. wrote:Could more money give him the spent time back?
No, but I don't know of too many people who like to work for nothing either...income helps pay the bills, right?

XY is not an open source volunteer effort so this developer need some well justified compensation for his time...and this is just one way of doing so....maybe you disagree?

Which reminds me....I am late in making my small annual voluntary donation to Don for his "family Christmas gift"....it's not much but I do it as another way of recognizing the value of XY.

tux.

Post by tux. »

j_c_hallgren wrote:maybe you disagree?
As it is not a voluntary but a forced price addition, I do. I'd really like to spend money if I love a specific application (I even donated to the Vim developer), but rising prices lowers my will to do that... you see?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tux. wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:maybe you disagree?
As it is not a voluntary but a forced price addition, I do. I'd really like to spend money if I love a specific application (I even donated to the Vim developer), but rising prices lowers my will to do that... you see?
Looks like XY is not for you. And this would not change by lowering the price. No problem. Of course more than 99% of all users won't gain anything by using XY. No problem. I would be very content by selling to the remaining 1%. :mrgreen:

BTW, I try to sell this app not via an emotional channel (love) but via its usability and efficiency. Ask what it can do for you. If it does good things for you take it, else leave it. If you start asking what it cannot do (as many users do) you are already on an emotional/irrational trip because you are looking for the perfect love. Hey, this is just a computer you're sitting at. You gotta leave your room when you are looking for love. (old school attitude, real world 1.0)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tux. wrote:I'd really like to spend money if I love a specific application (I even donated to the Vim developer), but rising prices lowers my will to do that... you see?
Ok...so this may be more about your possible lack of finances to pay the new higher prices rather than Don's rationale for doing so? If that's the case, then I fully understand...XY is only the 3rd app that I've actually bought/paid in all my years of using this sys...the other two are tax prep software (the free vers don't do state tax returns) and an OCR app that I needed for business...

I think the existing prices are a great deal and thus, if you love XY, get it now and defer another purchase until later maybe?

tux.

Post by tux. »

admin wrote:Looks like XY is not for you.
We're still not talking about what it can do for me. After all, it is just a file manager, not a specific industry software. (Or do you want it to be?)
admin wrote:You gotta leave your room when you are looking for love.
That's what you think. :mrgreen:

No, really, XYplorer is still on my "things I might buy some time in 2010" list, regardless of its price, just not to look like one of these "everything is bullshit here" trolls. Know your enemy. Just wanted to leave my opinion here.

(The pricing issue is not a reason to immediately boycott XY; although the tuition fees force a delay indeed.)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

XYplorer seems to have gone through 8 point releases (8.00.0000 -> 8.80.0000) within the space of 6-ish months. That's not a bad thing, because a lot of new features have been introduced. However, based on current release velocity, XYplorer 9.00.0000 will be released sometime around late February-early March. Such fast release speed is likely to deter people from purchasing a Standard edition. On the other hand, the new prices may put lifetime license out of reach for quite a few.

It is, of course, possible that 8.90 -> 9.00 will follow suit to 7.90 -> 8.00 and be staggered over the course of several months. That time Dual Pane was the killer feature. This time a gut instinct tells me that XYcopy will be the ace up a sleeve of 9.00. I know that for Don this is a business, but I'm not sure if the balance between value to a Standard licensee and how quickly minor releases are pumped out is there yet, especially since there's no discounted upgrade path from Standard to Lifetime.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

carmenm

Post by carmenm »

tux. wrote:
admin wrote:Looks like XY is not for you.
We're still not talking about what it can do for me. After all, it is just a file manager, not a specific industry software. (Or do you want it to be?)
You absolutely have no idea of what you are talking about. It s not "just" a file manager and it is much more than a specific industry software.
Can i dare ask you if you work in an "industry"?
It s clear that XY doesnt have the same impact of gain time for a personal use or for a professional use. But let me tell you one thing. I am a dev and i spend literally hours a day on XY. Everyday i see my coworkers fighting with the native explorer. Fighting with all those windows, losing so much time trying to do what appears to be such a simple task with XY. They do loose hours a day and i am not kidding. I think of my administrator for example. All that time lost is money lost for my company, actually it s not lost it s wasted! I am fighting to get my company to buy licenses for all my coworkers but it s hard for financial people to see the point of it.

To conclude, i will give you an example of another software i use everyday, "Installshield". It s extensively expensive and yet people buy it, why? because of its features!
In a software price = features so its normal to see the price rising with features.
Also its not expensive at all when you look at the home version.
May be you only need the home version.