74%
Don't care, either one is fine
15%

Total votes: 54

paludis

Do you like the new application icon?

Post by paludis »

Just curious.

Feel free to elaborate on your vote, but keep it constructive, e.g. "I like/don't like the color scheme, shape, geometry, etc...".
Basically make it sound like you actually spend time thinking about it.

sflorg

Re: Do you like the new application icon?

Post by sflorg »

Total deal breaker! I want my money back. . . The program is now completely unusable!
I just know this is going to cause me to take up drinking.

Norn

Post by Norn »

viewtopic.php?p=203648#p203648
The blue box icon is better for me. :beer: :D
I like blue.
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

WeekendWarrior

Post by WeekendWarrior »

No.

It's amateurish. Its shape is odd, squinted, makes it weird at small formats, hardly readable.
The colours used are just bad put together like this: 100% red and blue? It's like chosing colours from the presets of a colour picker, randomly.
Mostly the red, you don't wanna use it in an icon like this. Who are you? McDonalds? Coca Cola? It's just bad in a UI because it feels like an alert. It catches the eye for no reason at all than saying: watch me I'm an icon!!!

The (kind of) 3D effect: there's a reason why everything is flat nowadays - it's not just taste, it's cleaner, it works better in UI/UX design. The fake (badly done) 3D effect is just fluff, visual clutter. Should be removed.

I'll tell you. Non technical but more visual people will look at this icon and just click away from your product in a rush (which is a good product, apart from its branding).

lian00

Post by lian00 »

I did not pay XYPlorer for the icon. I prefer the old one but I don’t understand some people so upset by an icon
Windows 10 64 bits

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

For me it doesn't fit the program. First thing I thought of was the old Batman fight scenes (I know, showing my age).

alan65

Post by alan65 »

The main reason I don't like the new icon is that the letters XY occupy too small of the region of the icon. It would be much better if the XY were larger.

jshika

Post by jshika »

I've purchased this program and been using for 6 or 7 years, but this is the first time for me to register to this site to vote this poll.
I can describe the new icon in many other words and languages, but one word would be enough.
CR*P.
Last edited by jshika on 29 Sep 2022 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Icons (and logos in general) are not for us to like it or not, It is a given, reflecting how the owners/developers want to present their product. We should consider ourselves lucky that we received the possibility to use the old one longer. Try to do it anywhere else, you would be laughed out.

noembryo

Post by noembryo »

LittleBiG wrote: 29 Sep 2022 11:52 Icons (and logos in general) are not for us to like it or not, It is a given, reflecting how the owners/developers want to present their product.
Icons (and logos in general) are not for us to decide about, It is a given, reflecting how the owners/developers want to present their product.
But we do have the right to like something or not.
Check my free programs here..

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

noembryo wrote: 29 Sep 2022 13:23
LittleBiG wrote: 29 Sep 2022 11:52 Icons (and logos in general) are not for us to like it or not, It is a given, reflecting how the owners/developers want to present their product.
Icons (and logos in general) are not for us to decide about, It is a given, reflecting how the owners/developers want to present their product.
But we do have the right to like something or not.
I meant: those are not for pleasing us and not for our liking. Otherwise, of course, one can have their opinion.

Do you like the M shaped arches of McDonalds? Or the four colored squares of Microsoft? Yes? No? Then what?

noembryo

Post by noembryo »

LittleBiG wrote: 29 Sep 2022 14:19 I meant: those are not for pleasing us and not for our liking. Otherwise, of course, one can have their opinion.
I think that part of their usage is to be liked by the user.
Do you like the M shaped arches of McDonalds? Or the four colored squares of Microsoft? Yes? No? Then what?
If I like a logo, then it is a plus for the brand. And that's why they try to make the best possible logo (for them anyway).
Bear in mind that when I say a "nice" logo I don't mean the Mona Lisa.. ;) Some of the best logos are very simple.
But they are nice.. :)
Check my free programs here..

adamc

Post by adamc »

I think the new icon is terrible. It looks cheap and amateurish and gives the program a feel like it was installed surreptitiously along side Norton Antivirus or something.

For the moment, I have resisted going back to the old icon and just living with it. Amongst my other pinned taskbar icons it sticks out horrendously like it's looking for attention at all costs.

adamc

Post by adamc »

Shadow wrote: 28 Sep 2022 00:57 For me it doesn't fit the program. First thing I thought of was the old Batman fight scenes (I know, showing my age).

Haha , that's spot on!