WOW

Say it if you mean it...
cagestooge

WOW

Post by cagestooge »

I've been in IT for a long, long time and I've never come across this software. It is quite possibly the most underrated thing I've ever used!! It's easy to use for beginners, but as I dig more and more -- I'm less than 24 hours in -- the better it gets. There are a few things I'm puzzled about how they work, but I'll get there. I just want to say the Catalog is probably my single most favorite feature. It is *exactly* what I have been on the hunt for the last couple of weeks. It can be frustrating once you start playing with advanced features, and I have only scratched the tip of a very large iceberg, but searches on the forums usually turn up the answers and from what I've seen there is a lot of activity so I'm sure if I had a question I'd get an answer very quickly.

I don't have the words (and I am pretty good at finding the words) for how amazing this is. It's powerful, uses minimal resources, has so far caused me no issues and, to top it all off it has a non-install portable version that still let's you integrate into the system with ease. WHAT?! I'm mindblown how every IT person I have ever worked with, talented as they are, has never once mentioned this software. I will be telling them about it, though, you can be sure of that.

If you've been in the field as long as I have, doing application / server administration you become exposed to a flood of products and developers. I can say with confidence that this is such an amazing product. If you are not in the back office working with developers and enterprise wide applications, you really cannot understand the difficulty of finding talented folks who write good software.

It is stunning that one person has spent years doing this and has made a diamond mountain of a product.

It starts with a simple, intuitive interface for users who don't really need a lot, but need just a bit more than file explorer will give them.
Then as you being to unwrap it there is just a stream of new layers to this "onion" and the more I peel back the more there is to find, yet it still can maintain such a simple interface while allowing powerful customized features.
  • Amazing customization
  • Minimal resources
  • A UI that is better than I have seen an entire *team* of user interface engineers spend months designing
  • It even just looks nice. I just sometimes sit and look at it. Even the tree looks nice and I typically *hate* those things.
It is like you plucked out of my brain every cool thing I would want in a file manager and implemented it, without me even aware of how much I wanted a feature.
Bravo

Yes, I'll be buying the lifetime license. I've spent 12 of the last 24 hours playing with this and it's just getting better and better as I go further down the rabbit hole.

tl;dr -- This software is amazing in ways that many people do not understand because they don't deal with the developers of the world of IT. Try it out. If you don't like it after 30 days then I just don't know what is wrong with you, but I hope they find a cure for it, because no one in their right mind should pass up this beautiful piece of software.

admin
Site Admin

Re: WOW

Post by admin »

Well, looks like you got the idea. :biggrin: Thanks a lot! :tup: :beer:

XY fan

Re: WOW

Post by XY fan »

I agree with you cagestooge. XY is simply amazing. I have been playing with XY for a few months now and have it pretty well setup/customized how I like to use it including a highly customized toolbar.

I also use the Catalogue which is very convenient. The only feature I miss is a launch bar like in the old PowerDesk - where you could drag and drop shortcuts to it and have immediate access to the program with one click. The Catalogue sort of does that but a launch bar where the address bar currently is would be even more convenient.