XY = Best Free Software (157 free apps) PC Magazine

Say it if you mean it...
mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

One thing I wonder about is how many people will come to http://www.xyplorer.com looking for a free version (as that's what the PCMag article is about) and will leave frustrated instead of happy since they can't locate the free version without a pretty dedicated search?

I know that if I came here knowing nothing about XY except the single sentence and the link in PCMag, I would assume after about 10 seconds of looking around that there was no longer a free version. Then I *might* take a look at the trial version, but in all likelihood I would not.

I understand that having the free version imposes a big support headache for Don, but I just wonder about the possibility of leaving a bad taste in the mouth of possible furture customers who are sent here by the PCMag article?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

mwb1100: As you may suspect, Don and I had some discussions about this...the dilemma was how to make it visible but not in-your-face so as to reduce any potential sales...that's why there is this thread, a similar one at PCmag forums and an entry on my blog that is linked from XY site...so it shouldn't be THAT hard to find!

A Google search for "xyplorer free" gets the correct direct link as 2nd choice.

And going to XY main page, one only has to go to 'Support' and then 'FAQ' to find the Q&A that points to it...that isn't very obscure to me! I've had a MUCH harder time finding the free/lite vers on some much larger corporate sites.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:the dilemma was how to make it visible but not in-your-face so as to reduce any potential sales.
I fully understand, and I'm certainly not saying that anything should be done. I just thought it should be taken into consideration, and it appears it has been.
j_c_hallgren wrote:I've had a MUCH harder time finding the free/lite vers on some much larger corporate sites.
Sure, but I think that goes more to my point :P. I usually give-up on those corporate sites quite quickly - I especially hate the ones that have no pricing infomration. See Eric Sink's article on his dealing with one of these sites: http://www.ericsink.com/entries/Sales_Guy_Tantrum.html. In this case, he actually follows through on the sales call - I probably would have just bailed (maybe not if it were a business-related inquiry). Not that lack of price info has anything to do with XY - it's just an entertaining story about corporate websites.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

mwb1100 wrote:I fully understand, and I'm certainly not saying that anything should be done. I just thought it should be taken into consideration, and it appears it has been.
As soon as I saw it in magazine, I immediately posted this thread and the other two 'back-pointers' to the "free" page, and then used forum PM's to work with Don to put back a visible link to special page on site, and as to where to best put it...we tried a few ideas and the current solution was his choice...I just wanted to make sure that the marketing chance was not wasted due to a totally hidden page on site.

BTW, sometime today, we passed the 20K mark for posts here on forum!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.