XYPlorer for photographer - no limits!

Say it if you mean it...
krzysiu

XYPlorer for photographer - no limits!

Post by krzysiu »

Hello! I'm experienced amateur photographer. I've had the same problem as most photographers - too many photos. I've tried to sort them, but I couldn't find the proper tool. While it might look as a simple task, it's not, because it needs many custom, ideally fitted functions. Without it, sorting would take too much time and it would take out the fun from my passion.

I found some tools which had some functions which worked as I wanted, but then I would have to use a lot of different software, because there were none which would give me all I need.

Other software were:
  • limited - XYPlorer is very customizable tool - even if there's something missing, I can use any external tool or programming/scripting language.
  • for sake of developer, not users - in case of XYPlorer there's real developer listening to users. It's rare nowadays, in the times when you can report something and then you lose touch, you don't know what's going on. Here you can really discuss your issue and you can be sure that if your idea is good, it will be added to XYPlorer.
  • slow - the speed of XYPlorer is amazing and it also can be customized.
  • expensive - XYPlorer isn't cheap either, but you can get a lot by using free version. I love open software, but there's nothing which would even virtually resemble XYPlorer. Still, XYPlorer has a spirit of open software - that whole customization, scripting and openness to the external tools.
  • non-native - Linux and Windows has other ways to achieve UX. I'm not saying one is better than other. It's just Windows users are used to Windows ways and Linux users to Linux. Many apps uses multi-OS frameworks as WXWidgets or GTK. GTK is kind of popular, but it's a hell for Windows users. If you know Gimp and it's Open/Save dialog, you know what I'm talking about. XYPlorer is native, it doesn't use such abstraction layer. It draws heavily from Windows, so it's not multi-OS, yet it's much faster, more stable and reliable. GUI is based on Windows UX and because it I can work faster.
If I'd want the same from other software, I'd probably had to install 20 different applications. That would be pointless. These are my favorite functions for sorting and reviewing photos:
1) Visualization of file system
Double panel view helps moving files. My top-most item in the list is a disk, not some subdirectory (i.e. desktop). I see where I am (thick line pointing to current position in the structure of directories).
2) Full size preview - the most important feature ever!
Often I've got batch set of photos of the same object and I need to choose the best one. In this case all these micro-differences matters, so I need quick and fast full size preview. I just click on the photo, hold the key for 0,5 s or so and it shows me a full version, so I'm able to quickly check little focus changes, closed eyes of people etc.
3) Support of of raw files
Are raw files any special for XYPlorer? No, they are just like any other graphic format. Additionally most raw files contain preview - embedded JPEG. It allows instant preview of even big file and XYPlorer makes use of it.
4) Thumbnails without limits
I can have thumbnails which ideally fits my needs. The biggest ones from Windows Explorer are tiny, especially in the era of 24" screens.
5) Scripting
It doesn't matter if I want add GPS data, XMP, IPTC or just move to another directory. It all can be scripted and added to toolbar. As I'm PHP programmer, I prefer to script in PHP. I can do it, same as I can run any external tool. Check out my "sorting toolbar".
Red part [external tool] - it uses ExifTool and it adds IPTC metadata with external hardware I've used
Blue part [batch script+external tool] - more sophisticated script which gets the photo(s) name, adds it to IPTC metadata, then renames it according to date from Exif (if not present, it can use either modified/created date or custom one) and moves to proper directory.
Green part [PHP script] - it moves selected files for proper directory. Custom icons I've used helps me a lot - I know that if I'd press bird, it will move it to the "Birdies" directory, bug to "Buggies" etc.

Additionally I've got script which adds GPS data to selected photos - at first I select them, then I click on the button, it asks me for GPS file and that's all. My camera is old, so I'm using external logging with my smartphone.
6) Other custom buttons
I can add buttons to whatever I want. Open in RawTherapee or Gimp, display output of ExifTool, mark/rate file.
7) Custom columns
I can add any column I want. For example I've made XYPlorer to show SVG files metadata, which makes it probably the first file browser ever which can read it. Photographers has problem of custom tags - e.g. there's place in Exif for lens type, but nobody uses it - each producer uses different, custom tag. That's not a problem, as in XYPlorer I can add column which would show lens type for any photo.

rass5000

Re: XYPlorer for photographer - no limits!

Post by rass5000 »

Hello, krzysiu!

Please tell me how to write a script for the custom column to display the tag "RelativeAltitude" of photo from the DJI drone?
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftoo ... s/DJI.html

highend

Post by highend »

Provide a picture from this drone that contains this tag...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

rass5000

Post by rass5000 »

File too large attach here.
I upload:
https://yadi.sk/d/cTZzHfy_3U8p5x

highend

Post by highend »

Paths need to be adapted!

With exiftool:

Code: Select all

$exifTool = "D:\Tools\@Command Line Tools\exiftool\exiftool.exe";
    $result = runret("""$exifTool"" -RelativeAltitude ""<cc_item>""");
    return trim(regexreplace($result, "^.*?: "), <crlf>, "R");
With exiv2 (I prefer this, less things to filter out), faster:
http://www.exiv2.org/index.html

Code: Select all

$exiv   = "D:\Tools\@Command Line Tools\exiv2\exiv2.exe";
    $result = runret("""$exiv"" -Pv -q -g RelativeAltitude ""<cc_item>""");
    return trim($result, <crlf>, "R");
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

rass5000

Post by rass5000 »

Thanks, highend!
script with exiftool it works!