What are the best file managers for Windows?

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

What are the best file managers for Windows?

Post by admin »

Check out this new site:
https://www.slant.co/topics/2404/~file- ... or-windows

You might add your vote (press Recommend for XYplorer :tup: ) and opinion there if you can spare a minute or two. :cup: :cup: :cup:

Think about it: It's good for you, too, if XY gets more publicity. :tup: :tup:

JLoftus

Re: ***** What are the best file managers for Windows? *****

Post by JLoftus »

I was a licensed user of Xplorer2 for years before becoming an XY convert and evangelist. I've looked at other file managers in the past, including DOpus. *ALL* of these file management apps, DOpus included, have improved/advanced greatly over the last few years, and it's almost certainly a given, that each have have introduced or expanded upon features based upon those of the others. There's nothing wrong with this, it's the nature of software development, and one thinks of the adage "plagiarism is the sincerest form of compliment".

This all said, despite being an avid supporter of XY and a Pro user for years, I've decided to once again give DO a go. There are a few touts that are for sure a solid sell... Native 64-bit support and multi-threaded processing chief among them.

After a fair and open-minded review, all things considered, still, XY wins handily in terms of ability for customization, the power of the XY scripting language, and Don's unyielding devotion to us weefolk. The support forums for DO are horrendous, really makes you appreciate our community here.

As has been covered ad infinitum, as our base is VB6, it's never going to be multihreaded or 64-bit, unless Don undertakes an entire rewrite, and that's about as likely as the Rainbow-Pooping Unicorn.

Don provides near continual updates, implementing most features requested by his loyal user base.

Lastly, Don very graciously provides unlimited lifetime updates for a flat fee (unheard of anymore) and, allows multiple local computer installs (also unheard of).

In summary, I'll choose to continue to deal with the quirks of single-threaded transactions and the oddball mystery interminable hourglass, as opposed to a stodgy framework which doesn't lend itself easily to the whim of the user's visual preferences, and an archaic licensing model which nags me every major version release for yet more money.

Thank you Don, for all you've done and continue to do. We love you, warts and all!

murdock01

Post by murdock01 »

I submitted my recommendation and added a couple of "pros".

Just the best piece of software I have ever purchased. I am always finding new ways to utilize its many features to help me solve problems.
Thanks always!

Shawn

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@JLoftus: Thanks, great review! Keeps me going after the overall pretty lame reaction I got so far... :ninja: :beer:

@murdock01: Thanks! Any single recommendation is important to me. No food, no code, you know. As simple as that.

@others: Hey, get off the couch for a minute and vote! Don't screw it again like with Brexit and Trump, LOL. Vote now! :tup:

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

murdock01 wrote:I submitted my recommendation and added a couple of "pros".
And likewise have I.

glenpiper

Post by glenpiper »

New convert/user and I just submitted my recommendation & a comment over at Slant.

I'm a bit surprised that XYplorer is running second, but there's no accounting for taste, right? :eh:

Here's what I wrote in my comment over there, mainly to underscore how impressed I am with XYplorer after having been a Xplorer2 user for a looooong time...

Code: Select all

Longtime Xplorer2Pro user, and I finally moved away from it because it wasn't keeping up, and because I finally spent enough time with XYplorer to understand just how good it really is. It helps me get the things I want & need to do faster, more efficiently, and more reliably than the native File Explorer or Xplorer2. It works well and the developer has a long track record of great customer support & reliable updates. It all adds up to a product that's well worth the price.
Keep up the great work, Don, and I look forward to a bright future using XYplorer!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you very much! :tup:
glenpiper wrote:I'm a bit surprised that XYplorer is running second, but there's no accounting for taste, right? :eh:
I think there's a natural lag between reputation and performance. There are a couple of outdated file managers that are still doing well simply because they are known. And, of course, I will suffer forever from the good old VB6-bashing which is so ridiculous to everybody who knows a little bit about programming, but how to kill a myth? It's a bit like racism. Fools talk, fools believe.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Voted.

A little add to previous content for 'script' pro:
"After learning it, one can get many other tools replaced in favor of a single centralized, extremely customize-able command center, plus writing one own's personal routines to fully perform fine tuned file management."

Hope this helps.
I'm quite surprised there are any doubts on this matter, yet... :roll:
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, man! :cup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LOL, the teppups troll is on the move again over there. This is going on for years now. You reliably find this guy whenever XY is being compared to DO. Then he will badmouth XY and goodmouth DO in such a foolish manner that it's all too obvious he's a psycho. Unfortunately the stats will count his voice just like any other's.

All the better that XY is #1 right now nevertheless! :beer: :biggrin:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, one "Con" (by teppups :mrgreen: ) goes like this:
"Doesn't do internal multitasking so often you sit there waiting and waiting and waiting for the window to come back."
Really? Seriously, I'm working with XYplorer all day long for 10+ years and I never wait and wait and wait for the window to come back. :?
5 users agree with this Con. Could it be they don't know about XYplorer's Background Processing? :eh:

phitsc

Post by phitsc »

Added my vote. It was pure coincidence I saw this. You should make a smallish XYplorer update just to make a call for voting in the release notes. Then at least the most curious among your users will learn about this voting.

I have added a pro as well (keyboard support). And a con, although for some reason it didn't register. I wrote it, but probably forgot to submit it :biggrin:. If you are wondering, my con is related to this problem:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16241&p=144344&hilit=dpi#p144344

This problem affects me since I got a new PC with a high-dpi screen, which I am using in a configuration with a Full-HD screen.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! :tup: Also for the Con. :mrgreen: (It's there, it did register.)

This is turning into something ugly at the moment. The teppups troll is completely out of control amd spills his hate all over the place. Let's see how the Slant people manage this...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:"Doesn't do internal multitasking so often you sit there waiting and waiting and waiting for the window to come back."
admin wrote:5 users agree with this Con.
Make it six.
But what s/he may be referring is rather an OS issue than XY's fault. The more a windows 8 machine stays up with several programs opened, the heavier the problem turns when it comes to creating or deleting a folder from a >150 (I'm still unsure for a more precise value) folders tree. The catch is: IT ALSO HAPPENS FROM WINDOWS EXPLORER, but working exclusively from explorer (win fm)/XYplorer gives me no clue on whether or not this also affects other fms.

-which gives us a hint on teppups usage habits, heh? S/he prefers to wait and wait and wait for XY to come back rather than keeping up with DO.
:maf:

EDIT: for the (fake) bug tracking, a quick way to cure the issue seems to be closing as many programs as possible, specially internet browsers with days long sessions.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I believe you, but I personally never experienced this. Rarely more than 8 apps open at the same time (and only one RAM killer: Firefox), maybe that's why.