The Single Best System Utility I've ever Used or Purchased

Say it if you mean it...
Dustydog

The Single Best System Utility I've ever Used or Purchased

Post by Dustydog »

I got my lifetime license at a discount. The developer has been so incredibly responsive, intelligent, and active in his development, I'm currently trying to see which family member would actually use another license in gratitude. I sometimes feel like I pirated a lifetime of upgrades from a man who seems devoted to making my computer-life a better experience.

I normally don't like learning deep system tools that aren't in some way standard: Batch Files, Advanced Query Syntax, Powershell, inane registry tweaks, advanced link types - or even things like Python and RegExes. But I intend to keep studying this thing until I've got it backwards and forwards. Just about every time I've gone, "I wish it would...." - it turns out it does, or there's a way you can do it. I've officially given up on reporting anything as a bug - this is mature, well-tested software - or a wish until I've studied this deep, deep tool with a microscope: I don't want to waste the man's time. And he seems to manage to read any comment, no matter how naive, with respect and patience. Plus, he's implemented a few little wishes within a day or two of agreeing they were appropriate. I'm astonished. (The community is also very good.)

Just having a dual-pane, tabbed browser with an approachable interface made me happy the moment I started up. Instantly useful with almost no introduction - but as I went along, I've found it incredibly, intelligently deep. And things like...this will sound a bit silly to choose...double-clicking in white space to go up a folder. It's such a smart feature, I can hardly stand every other blasted application out there for not doing it too. Or how about, again simple, his delete confirmation (new feature) that recurses what you're deleting and tells you just what's going to go; I've checked the properties of many a folder just to make sure...no longer! Or how about folders that list the number of files they contain and how much data? With an intelligent caching scheme so I can use it productively over a network and on external drives? An optional path-length column and over-long filename support? I'm not even mentioning many of the Big Features. Example: It has duplicate finding, but it also has a way to instantly select uniques between two folders - incredibly useful. No .thumb files required but the picture data is far more, and more creatively accessible? A portable single-user wherever-I-happen-to be license with lifetime upgrades while being extremely affordable? I don't have to be without it! He even has a great free version with a long, full trial if I were.

This will be one of the few applications - let alone a file browser?! - with a native scripting language that I'm looking forward to learning. Scripting is totally unnecessary, ever, to make this more than a brilliant tool, but it will probably keep me from asking even more from the developer.

This is the single best utility I've ever purchased or used in terms of day-to-day productivity. I feel like I'm driving to work in a BMW rather than a Chevy Nova with a new paint job, lots of shiny stickers, and a joystick along with the steering wheel. I know, this isn't the OS, but it's the interface to my data; I currently spend a lot of work shuffling around data and this saves me an incredible amount of time while pleasing me immensely every time I learn something new. It's more fun than a computer game.

This software is a work of passion - the opposite of software by committee - and I'm deeply grateful.

(It's hard for me to believe I feel so enthusiastic about a file browser. File browser? But I do.)

RalphM

Re: The Single Best System Utility I've ever Used or Purchas

Post by RalphM »

Thanks for a very nice review which made me reminisce about the years of file management I spent using this incredible tool XYplorer (not to mention the weeks of work it saved me over time).
It had a different name back when I decided to buy a lifetime license in 2005 but it was worth every cent back then and certainly still is today.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Re: The Single Best System Utility I've ever Used or Purchas

Post by admin »

Thanks a lot! :D