A day in the Life

Say it if you mean it...
SkyFrontier

A day in the Life

Post by SkyFrontier »

My usual reboot requires a single XYplorer instance being launched manually - every other programs' start I need are made from there, including 3 other v15 (relatively up to date) XY instances plus a v11 (which I keep for running older scripts which have compatibility issues because I find no time to update them all). Each instance has an own theme color so I can quickly distinguish them by Win taskbar's live preview so I can work for 2 or 3 weeks without restart, each containing tabs and scripts ready to handle specific needs for specific tasks I'm currently working on.

Often I do screen captures of setup issues or project statuses: piece of cake, using ctrl+alt+v which creates me-defined hi-quality .pngs right inside target folders. Screen grabbing software would demand some sort of intervention, either by choosing destination on a dialog or resorting from default path = time saved.

Files downloaded, material produced, of course I need to put stuff together and that's what a file manager's for.
Windows Explorer: ctrl+shift+n (which I can't customize), rename the new folder, select what I want, drag it there.
XY: if I select as the last one a key file which happens to have the name, I just need to press ctrl+shift+x (which can be customized: it stands for 'move here to new subfolder') and hit ok - the folder name is pre-filled. Done. Big time saved: it's an operation I do countless times a day.

Ooops!, I receive or think of a project for which I'll have specific needs in order to deal with it. Pre-scripting era, I'd search for free or paidware just to find some sort of limitations which in turn would may or may not would lead to a second pass using a second tool. And a third. A fourth or a fifth. Ooops - a huge library is needed for this one to run, and often I had to reinstall (then I discovered imaging) everything due to a system conflict. It's not an hypotetical case, people: I've ran into trouble many times because of these situations. The lone installation of 3rd-party tools caused me serious issues: money and data loss, waste of precious time. Now, I just need to take the time and code myself (or ask community, which is often responsive and cooperative) in very detailed, task-tailored ways no other tool could ever allow and sometimes reuse the same base code for a brand new project. It pays the effort, no doubts on this.

How many times you would like to see a folder's content, subfolders-wise? Take a look at Branch View: I look at it several times a day.

What about having a clutter-free tree that holds visited folders only, instead of the huge mess which often causes more confusion than usefulness? Do you happen to use a structure with similarly named folders, differing only by appended dates or sequential numbers? Tired of moving stuff to the wrong folder, right? My hint: MiniTree. You just NEED to know it!

XYplorer is so flexible that despite its overwhelming pack of well-thought features, with little configuration (start in [Main Menu] Window > the several 'Show...' entries and Tools > Configuration > Other > Features and select what you need or need not) you can bring it under control. No hassles, no obscure settings, no reading. So flexible that with scripting I managed to control each and every aspect of it using a single pane and a basic set of 7 hotkeys - no touchpad/mouse, viewing a single list of files and no other GUI elements! As you delve into the impressive online and offline vast-yet-organized documentation, you'll see the benefits of having almost each and every feature file-management related you've ever dreamed of right there at your disposal, just waiting to serve your most wild wishes in order to fully and efficiently control your digital life.

Lifetime license for all of this? It's a steal. On XYplorer's pocket.

Unbeatable value, unstoppable development, incredible innovation. That's XYplorer signature.
Attachments
super.gif
super.gif (1.84 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Re: A day in the Life

Post by admin »

Nice one! :D :tup:

Can I quote you on that?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Sure. A pleasure to tell the world how thankful I am for this job of yours.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

:appl: Well said Skyfrontier! My exact feelings too. :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome back! :D :cup:

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Seriously, I can't imagine life without XY. It's so integrated in my everyday routine, like brushing my teeth, that not using it feels very odd.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Hi there, seren! Enjoy your stay.
You're one of the ones to blame for me, being not a programmer, being allowed to enter the wonderful world of full-scale XY scritping, for which I'm plenty of thanks.