XYplorer New Website Interface..

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer New Website Interface..

Post by admin »

IMO that's fine. It was one of my design goals to have less info per view. It's the general trend and I think it's a good one.

Note that I speeded up the parallax scrolling (refresh browser cache by CTRL+F5 to see it). It's much snappier now. :tup:

PS: What is your screen size?

highend

Post by highend »

@j_c_hallgren

+ 10

Personally: I value content a hundred times more than design. For some (most?) people the new design may look nice but I hate scrolling just to skip over unused space :/
It's the general trend and I think it's a good one.
People have different opinions: Imho one of the worst trends in history of internet.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:IMO that's fine. It was one of my design goals to have less info per view. It's the general trend and I think it's a good one.
Less info is one thing - little or almost NO info is another thing - and i never thought prior vers has too much info - I thought in some cases, it didn't have enough....right now, when I see the very first XY 'page', I see the name and type of product and two quotes plus a handful of links -- what does that do for me? Nothing! In contrast, the first X2 'page' gives me what vers is current, the pricing, why I'd need it, direct links to try it, screenshots, news, and much more -and- that matches my expectations of a site for this product type.
PS: What is your screen size?
1400 x 1050 (but also have Chrome set to 110% to give a bit of boost for my eyesight).

I DO get that you've put LOTS of work into this new thing and appreciate the effort -but- I still think that making a site for a product that I consider to be like an engine/transmission alternative look like a add-on for Photoshop or such isn't ideal either.
highend wrote:People have different opinions: Imho one of the worst trends in history of internet
Agreed!! If it's a site designed only for mobile/smartphone viewing, that's one thing and more needed for the limited screen sizes there- but NOT for desktop/laptop use...I know MY own site isn't that great on a phone, but it's usable...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Don, I really like the new design - great work! :appl: :beer:

I only have two suggestions right now:
1) When you have some time give this article a read. Some of those tips should help with the legibility of the testimonials and titles shown over top of your big hero backgrounds. Part 1 of that article is also interesting but not quite as relevant.

2) Take a look at Google's PageSpeed Insights. There's some good suggestions here for both mobile and desktop, and some of the ones which shouldn't take much effort could have decent pay-offs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! (also for the reading tips)

I just made the font sizes adjust to the browser window size, that should give a better experience to those with smaller screens.

PS: Did not know about Google's PageSpeed Insights. Very cool! :tup:

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

Admin wrote:Will it work? We will see. Nobody can predict that.
That great American philospher Yogi Berra once opined: Making predictions is difficult - especially about the future.

:lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:biggrin:

Reminds me to Woody Allen's "Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

The future isn't what it used to be.
Comparing XY goodies to a box of chocolates: You never know what you're gonna get. (Forrest Gump, of course)

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

- XY free should be mentioned at least at the downloads page (I have the impression that I haven't seen a single mention for it on the new pages!);

- server has now increased transfer speeds = cool (what's the nominal speed, now?).
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

ale

Post by ale »

May I suggest the use of proper typography for customer quotes? it's the very first thing that caught my eyes when I saw the new design.
And the Merriweather serif font just calls for it.
(see screenshot for comparison)
Attachments
2015-06-26_183058.png
2015-06-26_183058.png (315.15 KiB) Viewed 5638 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, the curly ones look better. (Though I think the right single quotation mark should not be used in place of the apostrophe.)

ale

Post by ale »

I also used an em dash instead of the double hyphen.

For interested people, a couple of nice readings...
http://www.typewolf.com/cheatsheet
http://practicaltypography.com/

I love this stuff :mrgreen: :oops:

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

A very minor suggestion for the new home page: The header at the top which has a last item of CONTACT on the right side looks fine until the mouse is lowered and the vertical scroll bar comes up. At that point, the "T" at very end of "CONTACT" actually contacts the scroll bar which looks a bit tacky. I'd move the header over a number of pixels such that when the scroll bar is in view, there's a bit of space between the end of CONTACT and the scroll bar. I do really like your new web page though. Nice pic and I read you used your X100T. I'm still loving and using my X100S. 8) :appl:
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ale wrote:I also used an em dash instead of the double hyphen.

For interested people, a couple of nice readings...
http://www.typewolf.com/cheatsheet
http://practicaltypography.com/

I love this stuff :mrgreen: :oops:
Thanks, good stuff. Love it, too!

It's a pity that curly quotes are so hard to do with the keyboard. I have no time to do them but on my first page.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:A very minor suggestion for the new home page: The header at the top which has a last item of CONTACT on the right side looks fine until the mouse is lowered and the vertical scroll bar comes up. At that point, the "T" at very end of "CONTACT" actually contacts the scroll bar which looks a bit tacky. I'd move the header over a number of pixels such that when the scroll bar is in view, there's a bit of space between the end of CONTACT and the scroll bar. I do really like your new web page though. Nice pic and I read you used your X100T. I'm still loving and using my X100S. 8) :appl:
I don't see that here in Firefox, nor in Chrome.

Yes, I love it more every day. And there is a lot to discover. E.g. you can manually focus to hyperfocal distance. That's kind of a point beyond eternity. Love it. :)