XYplorer New Website Interface..

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer New Website Interface..

Post by admin »

SammaySarkar wrote:The What's new button can be changed to a features button. It will technically not be in your face. :lol:

IMO, when someone lands on XYplorer.com, they don't need to see what only the very latest version has, (they might think it's all there is to it), but the overall capabilities of XYplorer. Not everybody reads everything, they just skim thru large font and big images.

There's no highly visible way to read about XYplorer's features int the homepage at all.

anyways, it's good to see popup images (a wish of mine), any plans to do this with tour, releasenotes and elsewhere where screenshots are used?
Well, let's see how my decisions work out. Then we can try yours. :)

popup images: no plans currently. And don't mention the tour -- it's about 10 years behind. It gives me a headache... :whistle:

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

admin wrote:
SammaySarkar wrote:and another thing, don't the parapgraph lines look a little too close together? Maybe because of the sprawling serifs.
Where? Everywhere?
here's an example with line-height of 1.5 vs 1.7
lnhght.png
lnhght.png (59.65 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
[/size]
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote: And don't mention the tour -- it's about 10 years behind. It gives me a headache... :whistle:
While old, there were times when the best place to find some basic info about a feature for a newbie was within the tour and I directed a fair nbr of ppl to parts of it in the past - with the caution that it may be a bit dated.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SammaySarkar wrote:
admin wrote:
SammaySarkar wrote:and another thing, don't the parapgraph lines look a little too close together? Maybe because of the sprawling serifs.
Where? Everywhere?
here's an example with line-height of 1.5 vs 1.7
lnhght.png
[/size]
I find the current line height okay.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote: And don't mention the tour -- it's about 10 years behind. It gives me a headache... :whistle:
While old, there were times when the best place to find some basic info about a feature for a newbie was within the tour and I directed a fair nbr of ppl to parts of it in the past - with the caution that it may be a bit dated.
Well, it's there, 3rd line:

http://www.xyplorer.com/support.php#general

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

admin wrote:And, hey, nobody should talk bad about the cranes of Cologne. :eh: :wink:
Hey, Don, maybe I should pay you a visit some day... Living near Mönchengladbach. :P

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have the opposite idea: travel the world from user couch to user couch. I currently cover about 110 user countries. Would be an interesting trip...

aurumdigitus

New web design

Post by aurumdigitus »

The new web design unequivocally shouts 21st Century. But for some of us old timers that have been staring at the previous layout for many years finding things is difficult.

Really need to add Site Map :!:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The footer on each page has almost anything. What are you missing?

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

Hummm. Having looked down there maybe everything important is indeed in the footer. Very 21st Century.

But as stated, we old timers are conditioned to look at the top of a page before scrolling to the bottom. If you're not keen on a Site Map maybe at least a note in the heading that a menu is at the other end of the page. :eh:

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

The new website certainly is modern and stylish - it matches what many new websites are doing.

That said, I tend to agree with the people who don't particularly like it, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm a grumpy old man...

It seems to require more scrolling and clicking than the last design. I'm also not a huge fan of little animations such as how it moves to a new 'page' with the slow-then-fast scroll, icons seem to jiggle/bounce into view, or how the header shrinks when you scroll down. It's eye candy that I find distracting for no good purpose. Then again, I am a grumpy old man, and I'll certainly survive the new design. I actually will be interested to hear if Don gets better overall results (which I guess means sales) or not.

On the other hand, if the forum gets a similar facelift... :blackstorm:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mwb1100 wrote:It seems to require more scrolling and clicking than the last design. I'm also not a huge fan of little animations such as how it moves to a new 'page' with the slow-then-fast scroll, ...
It's called parallax scrolling. I must say I like it, feels natural.

Requires more clicks? That would be bad. Do you have an example?

Tip. Bookmark this to directly jump to the footer, aka site map:
http://www.xyplorer.com/index.php#page-footer

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Requires more clicks? That would be bad. Do you have an example?
using Chrome (so i can actually see site somewhat correctly), it takes 7 pages/clicks on main page to see maybe 3 to 3.5 pages of info! Ther's HUGE amounts of empty space that just don't add anything -- and even with my bad eyes, makes it hard to read, believe it or not!-- like I said before, it seems liks a design made for a smartphone size screen that when seen on a laptop, it's way out of proportion.

Addendum: On the main page, when you first see site, the amount of info on that screen is SO limited that I think I'm viewing a photo with some captions instead of a product site -- all that text could fit in the top 2 inches of screen with room left over yet it takes a entire page? -- now being too crowded isn't good either, but when I see sites like this new style, I immediately go elsewhere as I know it'll take too long to find what I need.

It's been ages since i looked at X2 site so went there now - in only 2 pages, i get SO much more info about their product than I can in 7+ pages on XY - and while it's a bit old-style, a file manager product is that type of item where a site that looks more like a photographer would have doesn't match up - I really dislike saying things bad about XY/Don, but I find this new site design incompatible with a file manager product.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
using Chrome (so i can actually see site somewhat correctly), it takes 7 pages/clicks on main page to see maybe 3 to 3.5 pages of info!
Which info is 7 clicks away?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
using Chrome (so i can actually see site somewhat correctly), it takes 7 pages/clicks on main page to see maybe 3 to 3.5 pages of info!
Which info is 7 clicks away?
I'm saying that I have to do 7 PgDn keys (ok, so it's not a click but could be using different hardware) to see all the data available on the main 'page' but that the amount of text/images shown would easily fit on 3+ 'pages'. I'm seeing 80%+ unused blank space at least with every PgDn.