Customization is the key to happiness

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Customization is the key to happiness

Post by admin »

The approach is good and I actually plan something in the app toward that direction: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14117

But too complicated for now. At this point I want total simplicity.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SammaySarkar wrote:Also, I skipped portable, because XY has two different packages, maybe the scope of portability is better noted in the download page?
Both packages are portable. This is constantly misunderstood. I seriously think about reducing it to one package. That would also take a lot of stupid work from me, and make the website and the actual downloading easier for everybody.

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

SammaySarkar wrote:Since there are too many features, you can sort them by usergroups.

Frexample, ask the visitor, "Are you a power user?" if no then the four can be: panes/tabs, light-on-resources, fast, top support.
if yes then: configurable, scriptable, the catalog, customizable views (VF,CF,CFI,CC,BV,FVS, ... :whistle: )

okay, I cheated a bit , but you get the idea.

Also, I skipped portable, because XY has two different packages, maybe the scope of portability is better noted in the download page?
Actually... Don, you already have the code for the Tab-Style look on your webpage. Wouldn't that be a kind of good way to do this separation?
(If you want to do this 2x4 reasons to switch to XY at all, that is...)
You COULD even easily add a third group if you wanted to...

"Novice Users", "Advanced Users", "Programmers" or something along those lines... Not that you have to, but I always liked the Tab-Style on your site.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tab-Style is out. Wait for the new design... :)

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

admin wrote:
SammaySarkar wrote:Also, I skipped portable, because XY has two different packages, maybe the scope of portability is better noted in the download page?
Both packages are portable. This is constantly misunderstood. I seriously think about reducing it to one package. That would also take a lot of stupid work from me, and make the website and the actual downloading easier for everybody.
Cant' agree; regardless of what's inside, the installer package writes to registry.
I seriously think about reducing it to one package.
:tup:
Then you can display uninstall information in the Help menu. Or simply supply a uninstaller that simply deletes the <xypath> folder, optionally asking to delete current <xydata> too.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good idea, but: It's not totally trivial AFAIK to write a program that can delete itself. Not sure if I want to invest time in writing an error proof self-destructing uninstaller.

Concerning the promo bits, I'm currently having a writers block. I have 6 bits now, but still want to cut down to 4. "Customizable" and "Scriptable" are too short, but the words just don't come easy to me... I'm grateful for inspiration...
Attachments
MainClaims4.png
MainClaims4.png (79.46 KiB) Viewed 4464 times

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Hmmm... Actually... I'd say those 6 bits describe XYplorer about perfectly. Maybe you should consider leaving it at 6... Because if you want to cut it down to 4 you need to remove 2 of those... But all 6 together are what describes XYplorer best, that's why I think you should maybe leave it at those.

This would also remove any necessity for branching into novice, advanced or power users (or any other way) as all is covered with these 6 bits.

As for "Customizable" and "Scriptable"... Yeah. Maybe someone does have a good idea how to phrase those best. I'm not good at that kind of stuff either.

Regarding installer packages: I think you shouldn't cut it below 2 (one installer and one zip) as some people prefer to not have a setup to run (like me) but for novice people a installer might be a good idea. (So, one installer with as few or as many options as needed) and one blank zip file as it is available now.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

To a non-programmer like me "scriptable" carries an ambigious undertone. You need to update Java or other engines and plugins and what not, and often those apps lack features and dialogs because, hey, you can simply script whatever you find missing, after all. To appease guys like me - unless XY really is geared towards a more professional crowd - I'd include some reassurance like this:
No additional plugins are needed, scripts run out-of-the-box. You don't need programming skills to benefit from this feature. Many ready-to-use scripts are available in the forum, shared by expert users who have cooked up dialogs for common tasks and hand-tailored routines for less-common tasks.
Customizable - supplemented by...
This ranges from fonts and colors to custom toolbar buttons and even file icons. What's more, you can let XY override Windows default open-with to have file types open with your choice of program or choose one from a pre-defined list. Relative paths are possible to ensure full portability.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks all, we are approaching something useful... :tup:

Yes, I think 6 is totally okay. Does not feel like overflow. Fits the screen and the brain without scrolling. ("XYplorer -- reduces brain scrolling!")
Attachments
MainClaims5.png
MainClaims5.png (93.25 KiB) Viewed 4448 times

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

OK: can be seen this and that way.

So maybe think about adding mentioning Dual Pane to the Tabbed chapter?

(There's one spare line :ninja: )
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, DP should be there. :tup:

mkolaski

Post by mkolaski »

It's only a small change but I would say XY has been "designed to make you more productive" rather than "designed to make you faster" especially as you're talking about increasing efficiency in that section.

Regards,
Michael

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I thought "designed to make you faster" sounds more catchy, but then I'm not a native speaker, so maybe it just sounds odd.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Things like "reduce your stress level" sounds like snake oil propaganda to software users. I saw several users kicking a blurb of a specific developer enough to make it change, after much degradation of course.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, agreed. :)

I have this now. Is this English?
XYplorer has been designed to make you faster. Numerous usability enhancements in an attractive interface help to streamline your workflow and increase your efficiency. You will definitely save a lot of time.