Customization is the key to happiness

Say it if you mean it...
krzysiu

Customization is the key to happiness

Post by krzysiu »

I think that many more advanced PC users have some habits that they can't get rid of. That's why many people waits for another version of their favorite software. Maybe there are better applications, but except more useful functions, they are lacking some and they have different use. I wanted to have something better than Microsoft Explorer. I was trying about 5-6 tools. Each one had nice, additional functions, but I was resigning because each one was missing something important. OK, this is fine, but I can't get bigger thumbs. This is OK, but I don't like the way that something behaves. That one is really fine, but it's too different for a person who got used to MS Explorer.

So for me it was the end of searching. Every application had a lot of pros, but they were reflection of author's vision. You don't like something? Bad luck, because author prefer it to be like that. I gave myself a last chance. This time I found XYplorer. And... Wow, it's great! The bad point is that I needed to have thumbnails bigger... No, wait! I can change it as well! I can change everything! Hooray!

So XYplorer is the second software in my life (after Miranda IM/NG) which fits me ideally, not because some kind of luck, but by highly customizable front and backend. Upgrading software means usually new functions and bugfixes in same software. Switching for other gives the same, but you have to learn it, learn new habits. It's like Dvorak and QWERTY. People say that Dvorak keyboards are better, but you have to learn it and it's not worth time for many people.

That's not the case of XYplorer. But does that customization makes tool harder to use? No! One can use default settings and it will work well. More advanced people have more habits but they also won't have problem with editing ini file, which contains most advanced settings. I'll repeat: "most advanced", because typical GUI settings are rich as well.

After I configured it a bit I was happy because I could click on image and see the preview. I thought - "it's great, I love it, but I'd love it more if it would be a fullsize and some nice way to scroll it". And guess what? Of course it was possible! As I'm amateur photographer I found XYplorer the best tool for checking pictures a lot of pictures. The only bad point it had, was lack of informations like ISO, shutter speed near thumbnail. And that was another surprise - it was available in the next version.

And now I have a strange feeling. I don't want anything more. It's already fine. Is it possible that software could be perfect, yet getting better? No. This is magic. This is XYplorer.

Thank you, mr. author, because you know that the best software is fitting user, not user is fitting software. I'm using PCs since 22 years, so I think I've some experience and I can say: if you want more, if you don't want your old explorer.exe, use XYplorer, because it's up to you how it will look and behave. It's not worth to try other applications, because they are like MS Paintbrush, where XYplorer is like GIMP. Of course you can check this out, but it will be probably a loss of time. If you aren't sure that XYplorer will fit you - give it a try. Not only using trial version, but free version is available as well.

Bow to you, mr. author.

Krzysztof Blachnicki

SkyFrontier

Re: Customization is the key to happiness

Post by SkyFrontier »

Dear mr Krzysztof,

I'm actively using XYplorer since ~2010. My current wish for it is a time machine which would allow me to work with it since 2001, 2002. Not perfect, I have several (minor, sometimes) other wishes which if granted could give power to accomplish a large variety of tasks in a very detailed manner. But the crude fact is: without it, I'd NEVER had made a big bunch of projects involving file management and digital information processing. Being not a programmer, some of those things would never exist without XYplorer power, neither the satisfaction of enjoying digital contents with nearly zero-time in handling them.

I just had to join you in this praise. Welcome to the club.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, Mr. Krzysztof! :D :tup:

Flora_RMC

Post by Flora_RMC »

Truer words were never said. Don is a genius and XY is absolutely brilliant. :tup: :appl:

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

:tup: Fully agree.
Although I still use other managers - mostly for previewing and archive support - XY has become the linchpin, the central switchboard from which I pass files and folders to other tools. It's my launchpad, the first thing I fire up. For the exact reason Krzysztof points out - customizing - the interface, shortcuts, buttons, scripts, icons, PFA .....

Customizing in direct response to user feedback is another really strong forte with XY. You feel heard, your customer voice is listened to and taken seriously, most of the time you get instant feedback.

XY ranks top in these 2 areas. Other developers take weeks to even respond, and when their next update finally rolls around, the skimpy change log makes you wonder why this took half a year to accomplish.

With XY it's the other way round. The ratio of new developments to wait time - measured in days, not months - is outstanding. You better check back often, your custom requests may have gotten implemented already, waiting for YOU to follow up on it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I love to hear that (of course). :D :beer:

But let me abuse this thread for something not totally unfitting. I'm currently making a new website. I mean totally new. And I try to make it less heavy, less overwhelming. Not easy because the app has accumulated so many features over the years. Now my question: If you would be forced to reduce it for FOUR (4) strong points what would they be? (I attach two examples to give you an idea of how this will look: very short). Some graphics might be added later.)

EDIT: edited the second text to make it shorter.
Attachments
MainClaims2.png
MainClaims2.png (35 KiB) Viewed 4852 times

highend

Post by highend »

Scriptability!
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, one could make it like this:

It's portable
It's tabbed
It's configurable
It's scriptable

Whoops, already four.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Portable. Definitely. I'd capitalize on that even more. Fully portable in every single aspect because XY really is. Variables and paths and settings and all. And like you say, it's pack and go, not necessary to install it onto an external drive that must be recognized as removable ... all those crappy conditions that your competition imposes on users.

Scriptable. Yep.

Tabbed and configurable. Hmm - not so convinced by these two. How many non-tabbed managers are out there? Aren't they all configurable to some extent? What the title of this thread really means to me is more along the lines of "personalize and customize, tweak and tailor to your very own requirements."

Guess it depends on the target group you have in mind. To make XY stick out from other managers, each of those fab 4 features should really convey clout and bearing. Good idea to limit it to 4.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

It's fast, light on resources, feature-rich, well documented.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

SkyFrontier wrote:It's fast, light on resources, feature-rich, well documented.
:appl: totally different approach, I like the buzzy zing of it.
More of a one-liner - not much to elaborate as in Don's heading+body text format.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is a paragraph before this that has all the buzzing. We need to go one level more descriptive with those 4 claims.
Attachments
MainClaims3.png
MainClaims3.png (69.85 KiB) Viewed 4840 times

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: It's configurable
Well, that's the minimum requirement a software needs to make me install that piece code...

Are you sure you didn't mean It's (heavily) customizable?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, customizable.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Since there are too many features, you can sort them by usergroups.

Frexample, ask the visitor, "Are you a power user?" if no then the four can be: panes/tabs, light-on-resources, fast, top support.
if yes then: configurable, scriptable, the catalog, customizable views (VF,CF,CFI,CC,BV,FVS, ... :whistle: )

okay, I cheated a bit , but you get the idea.

Also, I skipped portable, because XY has two different packages, maybe the scope of portability is better noted in the download page?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]