Scripting Ovations

Say it if you mean it...
Stef123

Scripting Ovations

Post by Stef123 »

Kudos to all scripting gurus who share their knowledge and plugins, and even offer support and respond to user wishes.

First off, thanks to Don who keeps the SC framework up to par.
And here comes my list of scripts that converted me to XY. Seriously, without these I would not use XY nearly as much as I do.

In chronological order (no ranking whatsoever) - how I came to know these little gems:
Session Manager by Flux Torpedoe
Clean Recent Menu by LittleBig, klownboy and nerdweed
Contextual Help by binocular222
SelectionStore by Enternal (until paperfolders came around)
XYSkinner by SammaySarkar
External Search by highend
Laycat(tool) and Paperlist by Filehero, klownboy, Enternal
Thumbnail Maintenance by klownboy
Better File Selector by highend

I listed only scripts I actually use. I know there are many more scripts out there, my selection is 100% subjective, and will expand as I continue to shift tasks from other tools to XY.

Regmos

Re: Scripting Ovations

Post by Regmos »

You forgot a very important one Image

SimpleUpdater
Kind regards
Regmos

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks. Its's not so much that I forgot about it, but rather that I have not tried it yet. Only have weekends to check into one at a time.

Please keep it coming, though, :) now that I am hooked my scripting hunger has taken on addictive dimensions.

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

There're many great scripts scattering out there and there're many attemps to collect/index these.
I think that there should be a sticky&lock thread made by admin (with only 1 post) > then a scriptor can send PM to moderators link to his latest script > moderator will consider to add to that sticky&lock post.
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

binocular222 wrote:then a scriptor can send PM to moderators link to his latest script > moderator will consider to add to that sticky&lock post.
Have been wishing for something like that all along. A kind of central repository for ready-made scripts that deliver out-of-the-box convenience (more or less). To reassure users (like me) that scripting is not limited to re-inventing the wheel every time they find something missing.

The waters of script exchange are too deep to come up with those pearls, unless you're already familiar with technical terms, but even then it takes time to browse the topic titles and tell them apart, what belongs to advice and details under the hood, and what is ready to be fired up for the joyride.

BTW, I've come to appreciate topics that stick to a certain format: introduction of what the script does, if it contains settings to adjust before running it, if it is self-sufficient or dependent on other utilities. Followed by download links to ALL versions, including history or variants. This saves a lot of time in longer threads where you can never be quite sure whether it's safe to simply skip to the end and work your way backwards to the latest download link.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Stef123 wrote:The waters of script exchange are too deep to come up with those pearls, unless you're already familiar with technical terms, but even then it takes time to browse the topic titles and tell them apart, what belongs to advice and details under the hood, and what is ready to be fired up for the joyride.
Not to mention all those nameless scripts written on-demand, deep within topics (many outside of ScriptEx ) that give little indication of the treasure inside.

btw, I'm very glad you liked XYSkinner so much to call it one of your favorites, though I seriously seriously doubt it's in the same league as any of the other scripts listed.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

SammaySarkar wrote:Not to mention all those nameless scripts written on-demand, deep within topics (many outside of ScriptEx ) that give little indication of the treasure inside.
Overwhelming outlook and inspiration, the lively community constitutes a full-blown feature of XY, although it's hard to recognize it as such when you compare file managers as an outsider.

Cannot judge the level of complexity of scripts. But I do know that I wouldn't have a clue how to achieve these results otherwise if it were not for XYSkinner, ThumbMaintenance, CleanRecentMenu - as different as these may be.

Again, highly subjective, I don't want to degrade other scripts by not mentioning them. Tons of stuff I have not come across yet. I don't research the script department systematically, I just happen to chance upon some
stuff while looking for solutions.