Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

XYplorer, the Fantastic Alternative File Browser

Post by admin »

Marco

Re: XYplorer, the Fantastic Alternative File Browser

Post by Marco »

Unfortunately, out of 6 comments, only one is positive, from someone that apparently is happy with whatever software as long as it is free...
Attachments
Cattura.PNG
Cattura.PNG (60.11 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, it happened before. No problem, just now a better one popped up.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Lifehacker, world's most unprofessional software review website.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PS: I'm totally lost with this bit. Probably my English is too weak to get it. What does he/she say here, and why? :veryconfused:
Something tells me the 64bit version will be slow and half baked and will crash for people or do some other flaky things.
I guess I just don't like the site in general, hard to put my finger on it. There is some kind of flip-floppery going on in the writing, like the dev has no game plan and hapless downloaders of "XYplorer" will just have to play along.

tux.

Post by tux. »

"Der Programmierer hat keinen Schimmer, die 64-Bit-Version wird sowieso abstürzen, ich mag das Programm einfach nicht, weil Baum."

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:PS: I'm totally lost with this bit. Probably my English is too weak to get it. What does he/she say here, and why? :veryconfused:
That due to .NET, that will make it very slow and maybe due you not having coded that way before, it would not work well...that's my guess as to what he meant (though you know WE don't feel that way obviously)... as to web site/game plan, not really sure myself what upset him.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:PS: I'm totally lost with this bit. Probably my English is too weak to get it. What does he/she say here, and why? :veryconfused:
I was actually going to question them but as I often do when commenting on blogs I kind of felt it wasn't worth entering the "discussion" - if you can call blog comments discussions. :roll:

My assumption was that it is a knee-jerk reaction to .NET and they feel anything in .NET will be "slow and half baked and will crash", but then I got lost trying to determine how they arrived at the "flip-floppery ... no game plan" bit.

Was tempted to try to blow their mind by the fact that it is VB6 but felt the mere mention and its sour stigma might do more harm than good. :|

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tux. wrote:"Der Programmierer hat keinen Schimmer, die 64-Bit-Version wird sowieso abstürzen, ich mag das Programm einfach nicht, weil Baum."
Da hat er natürlich vollkommen Recht.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Wissen wir.

Visual Basic... :twisted:

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

I replied to the ridiculous comments made by "Moon", but the lifehacker site seems to bury comments made to comments.

Personally, I think the mention of a possible .NET version in the future should be left off the download page since I think .NET seems to have a bad reputation with users of alternative file managers. Instead of giving someone fuel for FUD, let them wait until there's something people can actually *try*.

As far as the "flip-floppery" and "hapless downloaders having to play along" - I don't even know what those are supposed to mean.

Total garbage for a comment, but unfortunately it's the most prominent one.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm currently reading through a big fat .NET book (yep, book). It makes me like VB6 more and more with each page. .NET feels like a kindergarten version of VB. :evil:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I mentioned a possible .NET version simply to be fair to buyers of the Lifetime License. They should know what to expect, right?

But... since my enthusiasm for .NET is currently on the decline, I might end up removing it together with the whole .NET plan. For me, coding is fun, and with .NET they took the fun out of coding. :om:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mwb1100 wrote:I replied to the ridiculous comments made by "Moon", but the lifehacker site seems to bury comments made to comments.
:om: Argh. Thanks for trying anyway!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
mwb1100 wrote:I replied to the ridiculous comments made by "Moon", but the lifehacker site seems to bury comments made to comments.
:om: Argh. Thanks for trying anyway!
I got it now: You have to click the oblique arrow in the top right corner of a post to open a "conversation". Then within the conversation you have to click a post again to view it in full length.

Thanks for posting there to all of you! Yes, the first Lifetime License is 14 years old and still good for the current version. :cup: