Type Ahead Find needs slow down

Features wanted...
aurumdigitus

Type Ahead Find needs slow down

Post by aurumdigitus »

With 2.0, Type Ahead Find has come of age and is now a significant feature of XY. Never used it too much before but now already embrace it.

There is one drawback, however. For those of us who are "older and slower" it is not easy to enter the characters fast enough. It would be of value to be able to adjust the acceptable time between inputs. As this would likely be a set-and-forget a Tweak would fill the bill adequately.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Type Ahead Find needs slow down

Post by admin »

Yep, makes sense.

Does everybody agree that the current default (750 msec) is a good default?

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

This is a great feature. :appl:
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mean the slowdown?

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

I think it's intelligent that a user can adjust the sensitivity of the key input.
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Yeah this is an excellent feature! 750 is excellent for the default. For now I set it to 1000 just for a bit of extra "thinking" time on bad days. Anyway wow you implemented it so fast. Thanks!

Plus:
Catalog: Now when you drop *files* (as opposed to folders) to a
Category, the default "Action on click" is "Open Item". Before it
was "Go to Location".
I was just thinking about it last night!! Thanks!

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

When submitting these ideas do reflect on and hope that those other than myself find them of value.

Thank you, Don :!:
+ Type Ahead Find: The max interval to interpret two consecutive
keystrokes as belonging to one string defaults to 750 msec. Now
you can alter this value via the tweak() function (or by tweaking
the INI directly):
tweak("TAFTimeout", 1500); // set it to 1500 msec
echo tweak("TAFTimeout"); // get current value
Valid values are between 250 and 5000.
Feeling a bit sarcastic, wonder if anyone needing a value >5000 really should be operating a computer? :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

aurumdigitus wrote:Feeling a bit sarcastic, wonder if anyone needing a value >5000 really should be operating a computer? :mrgreen:
Well, the average computer user skills level is going down ever since PCs were introduced, so I wanted to make this feature future proof at least for a couple of years.

What about the other margin: 250 msecs. Anybody here who feels insulted?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote:What about the other margin: 250 msecs. Anybody here who feels insulted?
yesIamutterlyinsultedwhatdoyouthinkamIasnailorslothtowait250msecsbetweentwokeypressesanywayletmesetzeroaswellitwouldbetheultimatesolutiontomyspeed

neminem

Post by neminem »

While I am curious why you need a min and max at all (other than obviously 0 and whatever is the max for whatever flavor of int the property is internally), I don't personally see any behavioral issue with the min and max values you picked. And I am pleased that this property will exist, as, while I'd never thought about it specifically, I would indeed love to lower it a bit.
Last edited by neminem on 29 Jul 2013 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote:
admin wrote:What about the other margin: 250 msecs. Anybody here who feels insulted?
yesIamutterlyinsultedwhatdoyouthinkamIasnailorslothtowait250msecsbetweentwokeypressesanywayletmesetzeroaswellitwouldbetheultimatesolutiontomyspeed
:biggrin:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

neminem wrote:While I am curious why you need a min and max at all (other than obviously 0 and whatever is the max for whatever flavor of int the property is internally), I don't personally see any behavioral issue with the min and max values you picked. And I am pleased that this property will exist, as, while I'd never thought about it specifically, I would indeed love to lower it a bit.
This hopefully reduces potential support activities. Users sometimes do weird things when you don't limit them.

Flora_RMC

Post by Flora_RMC »

Thank you for the optional slow down! I often felt rushed having to type three or four keys in rapid succession - 750 was really fast for me. At the moment I set the tweak to 1300, and with this extra time I can type more relaxed. :whistle:
BTW, the MatchAnywhere set to "3" it's the best of the best. Awesome, Don! You made my day. :appl:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Flora_RMC wrote:Thank you for the optional slow down! I often felt rushed having to type three or four keys in rapid succession - 750 was really fast for me. At the moment I set the tweak to 1300, and with this extra time I can type more relaxed. :whistle:
BTW, the MatchAnywhere set to "3" it's the best of the best. Awesome, Don! You made my day. :appl:
Okay, so that's enough voices now to actually add it to the GUI. But how to call them?
- Match at the beginning (= #0)
- Match anywhere (= #1)
- Match smart (= #3)
?