Mouse gesture needed

Features wanted...
cren

Mouse gesture needed

Post by cren »

Hi, XYPlorer is now my favorite tool. It would be efficient if XYPlorer supports simple mouse gesture just like browsers.
dont need complex recognition,just left(go backward) and right(go forward).
Any plan for that?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Mouse gesture needed

Post by admin »

Currently not. Is Back/Fore something you do often with a file manager? I don't. Just curious.

cren

Post by cren »

admin wrote:Currently not. Is Back/Fore something you do often with a file manager? I don't. Just curious.
i usually have projects organized in differrent subfolder ,and go in/out these folders a lot.So Back/Fore means parent folder/previous folder.
For heavy mouse user,mouse gestures can save a lot of time.Now i use double clicking blank area(it rocks too),or "Alt+→"(which has to put mouse away).

Don't you do this often? or just me :veryconfused:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, everybody got his motional habits I assume. BTW, did you ever try the Branch View mode: let's you see several subfolders at once.

Your wish inspired a little (revolutionary! :mrgreen: ) idea: gesture buttons! What about toolbar buttons that react on how you hover them (up-down, down-up, diagonal etc, or how long you hover them before you leave)? Precision-hovering instead of clicking. Makes you feel like a drone, doesn't it?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:or how long you hover them before you leave)? Precision-hovering instead of clicking.
Could this lead to unwanted things happening if one happened to leave mouse in wrong place when doing something else? Like after switching to WordPad, etc?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Borut

Post by Borut »

I want to feel like click-clack and not like a drone. :D Let me just mention what I am used to do in Opera (needless to say, in a few occasions I tried that in XYplorer out of a finger habit):

Right click and then left click (on empty space) => Go to previous in history
Left click and then right click (on empty space) => Go to next in history

I do not expect that to be implemented of course, but since the topic is mouse gestures I just wanted to mention it...
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:or how long you hover them before you leave)? Precision-hovering instead of clicking.
Could this lead to unwanted things happening ...
Absolutely, another similarity to drones.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:I want to feel like click-clack and not like a drone. :D Let me just mention what I am used to do in Opera (needless to say, in a few occasions I tried that in XYplorer out of a finger habit):

Right click and then left click (on empty space) => Go to previous in history
Left click and then right click (on empty space) => Go to next in history

I do not expect that to be implemented of course, but since the topic is mouse gestures I just wanted to mention it...
You mean right-down, left-down, left-up, right-up? When exactly is the action triggered?

Generally "Drone Buttons" could be useful when heavy clicking would ruin your fingers (because you are booked for a concert in Carnegie Hall tonight). Or in a situation where even a mouse click would be too loud (e.g. when hunting owls while doing some outdoor file management at the same time; 21st century survival techniques...).

Borut

Post by Borut »

admin wrote:You mean right-down, left-down, left-up, right-up? When exactly is the action triggered?
Nope. These are probably the standard mouse gestures, but I neither like them, nor use them. But then there are (only in Opera? - do not know) these "stripped down to the bare bones": just, in a relatively quick succession, r. click, then l. click (or vv.), without actual mouse movement at all. The action is triggered on the second click.

EDIT:
Ooops, you are probably correct in your description - I am doing it too automatically, apparently. So:
r. down, l. down (no mouse movement): triggered immediately on the l. down irrespective of later up sequence
l. down, r. down (no mouse movement): triggered immediately on the r. down irrespective of later up sequence
admin wrote:(e.g. when hunting owls while doing some outdoor file management at the same time; 21st century survival techniques...).
:mrgreen: Sure, managing GPS track files leading to tree stands. Poor owls. If you implement this, they are gone.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

cren

Post by cren »

admin wrote:Well, everybody got his motional habits I assume. BTW, did you ever try the Branch View mode: let's you see several subfolders at once.

Your wish inspired a little (revolutionary! :mrgreen: ) idea: gesture buttons! What about toolbar buttons that react on how you hover them (up-down, down-up, diagonal etc, or how long you hover them before you leave)? Precision-hovering instead of clicking. Makes you feel like a drone, doesn't it?
Branch View helps,but sometimes not works well in "subfolders in subfolders" situation(too many items).

your idea helps when i hunt owls outdoor :P ,but i have to "find the button→move mouse there→action up-down/down-up",instead of "right mouse down and drag (you can do it with eyes staring at hot girls...)".so efficiency means a lot.

i really appreciate that you considered it.it would be great if it's on roadmap.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cren wrote:... "right mouse down and drag (you can do it with eyes staring at hot girls...)"...
So it's right-button-dragging. I was not aware of that. That's actually more likely to come true than the Opera thing. No ETA though.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

grindax wrote:
admin wrote:Your wish inspired a little (revolutionary! :mrgreen: ) idea: gesture buttons! What about toolbar buttons that react on how you hover them (up-down, down-up, diagonal etc, or how long you hover them before you leave)?
I looked up 'procrastination' in the dictionary, and it linked me to this. :o
LOL.

You know, procrastination is my renewable energy: I make a plan, and then procrastinate. When done right (timing and intensity) this creates lots of free energy that can be used for wonderful spontaneous and creative activities!

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

admin wrote:
cren wrote:... "right mouse down and drag (you can do it with eyes staring at hot girls...)"...
So it's right-button-dragging.
As much as "droning" sounds funny 8) , right-dragging is more common indeed and would be a nice addition to CTBs I too would surely use! A little overkill though...
4 more possibilities to the get("trigger") , hmmm... Sounds like the keys to Pandora's box! :twisted:

---------
grindax wrote:I looked up 'procrastination' in the dictionary, and it linked me to this.
I wanted to look up 'procrastination' in the dictionary, but then I felt I'd rather do it later... :P

xyz

Post by xyz »

+1 on this.

Would love rocker gestures (hold right-click button and tap left to go back, hold left-click button and tap right to go forward) as well, but beggers can't be choosy!