custimisable menus in XYplorer

Features wanted...
cslevine

custimisable menus in XYplorer

Post by cslevine »

i think that having different menus styles as "full" / "beginner" / custom would be very nice,
as like in some professionnal softwares as "Office", Gimp, Firefox...
that could give an easy XY alternative solution of "Window's exploser" to beginners.

For myself not a problem,but i hear my friends saying "that'ss for you, geek, but not for me"
when they'll see all these functions on the top menu bar.
Well we can remove all the menu bar, having KB shortcuts, but not so well for (noobs)/ ...beginners

maybe the most important thing after portable icons ? ( adopted by me ! )

admin
Site Admin

Re: custimisable menus in XYplorer

Post by admin »

Certainly worth thinking about! The difficult art here is finding the optimal subset. One of the many reasons why I hate MS Word is that they did NOT find the optimal subset for me. :)

eil

Post by eil »

thinking by: as XY gets more and more customizable, maybe it's time for Menu to become "autonomous" too? for example as in mentioned FireFox or Opera, where entries of menu are saved in own file and can be easily edited. this will be an easy way to make Menu wholy customizeable, and preloading with XY start will be enought(to switch Menu, reload will be ok).
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

cslevine

Post by cslevine »

Yes, and i think of all menus entries, as like as right click normal, right click drag...
but this makes a lot of thing to recode.

( XY would be the most customisable file manager )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote:thinking by: as XY gets more and more customizable, maybe it's time for Menu to become "autonomous" too? for example as in mentioned FireFox or Opera, where entries of menu are saved in own file and can be easily edited. this will be an easy way to make Menu wholy customizeable, and preloading with XY start will be enought(to switch Menu, reload will be ok).
This will remain a dream. It is impossible to modify the order of menu entries. What I can do is to show/hide them individually (and that's on my list already for a while now).

FireFox can export menu entries to edit them? How/where can I do this?

cslevine

Post by cslevine »

It is impossible to modify the order of menu entries. What I can do is to show/hide them individually
no worry, the order is not important. Adaptation is very fast.
:-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cslevine wrote:
It is impossible to modify the order of menu entries. What I can do is to show/hide them individually
no worry, the order is not important. Adaptation is very fast.
:-)
Good. I always knew Darwin was right!

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

I'm curious Don, how difficult would it be to load a script and treat it as the main menu?

Such as....
Startup.ini

Code: Select all

[MainMenu]
ScriptPath=A:\Path\To\Menu.xys
A:\Path\To\Menu.xys

Code: Select all

"My &File" Load('MenuFile.xys');
"My &Edit" Load('MenuEdit.xys');
"My &View" Load('MenuView.xys');
"My &Help" Load('MenuHelp.xys');
It would be a rule that the file pointed to by ScriptPath is only read at XY's start so any changes would required a restart.

At this point the main menu will only consist of the contents of Menu.xys, and when the user selects the item that script is executed. (So really it's just a menu/text version of CTBs...) In other words, while Menu.xys is only read at start, the script an item executes (Load('MenuFile.xys')) would be executed on click and therefore be dynamic.

Pros:
  • Extremely customizable.
  • Built on the already powerful script engine.
  • Dynamic menus are possible.
Cons:
  • We'd likely lose the quick keyboard friendly navigation (left/right to next menu) since there'd be a delay of running a script after selecting the top level items.
  • Suboptimal submenus until scripting gets them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Too much work. Also the CKS would be gone. And too geeky. 0.001% of all users would use it.

arirish

Post by arirish »

admin wrote:FireFox can export menu entries to edit them? How/where can I do this?
Not sure about that, per se, but there are definitely extensions available which let you reorder the menus to your heart's content, as well as remove (actually just hide) entries you don't need. No idea how it's managed, but here's the extension I use for it - there may be others - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... nu-editor/